Anime like Spice and Wolf?

Topic started by jmrwacko on Jan. 22, 2011. Last post by DocHaus 3 years, 7 months ago.
Post by jmrwacko (11 posts) See mini bio Level 5
So I recently watched a very good anime called Spice and Wolf on Hulu (subbed, hate English dubs). It was a really fun romantic comedy-style anime focusing on a peddler's run-in with a pagan god, the plot focusing primarily on his trade dealings with cutthroat merchant rivals with just the right amounts of sexual tension and suspense to make me watch 2 seasons of it back-to-back.

Unfortunately, the series just ends at season 2 with no season 3 in sight. I feel like I've been dumped on my ass with no closure, and furthermore I just watched all of Death Note in a day because of a friend's suggestion, which made me even more depressed >.> I need some really good anime with similarly lovable characters and interesting plot to snap me out of this melancholic mood I'm in. Something like Spice and Wolf. Pleeeease?

Oh yeah, hello animevice. I'm just copypastaing this from a post I made on the Giantbomb forums. Not enough wapanese there :-( Although if I keep watching anime at the rate I'm watching it, I guess I'll be wapanese soon enough. ^.^
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Do you mean like S&W because of "lovable characters and an interesting plot" or because of something else?  Also, is "wapanese" related to "weabo"?
Post by jmrwacko (11 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@sickVisionz said:
" Do you mean like S&W because of "lovable characters and an interesting plot" or because of something else?  Also, is "wapanese" related to "weabo"? "
I mostly liked S&W because of Horo and Lawrence, but also because of the music and visuals and because of the interesting and original plot. But right now I'm mostly looking for an romantic anime with characters similar to Horo and Lawrence, or at least characters I'd enjoy as much as those two. I've seen a lot of people elsewhere suggest Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because the female protagonist is a lot like Horo, but I've already seen it.

Also, yes.
Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@jmrwacko: 
I've heard that Kino's Journey is sort of similar in tone to Spice & Wolf, but I have not seen it yet so I cannot confirm. If you're okay with sci-fi another show that with focus on the romance aspect between the lead characters would be Crest of the Stars, but it's been awhile since I have seen that one, so you may or may not just find it boring. Spice & Wolf was kinda unique in that it followed a merchant instead of a swordsman or a magician, not too many titles I can think of off the top of my head that can replicate it. 

Also, welcome to the Vice. Enjoy your stay.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel