Adventures in Boredom: Anime Edition (Part 1)

Topic started by sickVisionz on Oct. 24, 2011. Last post by DocHaus 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

For the next couple of weeks I will be completely open and work free so I decided what better way to cure the boredom than to try out of a bunch of "new" anime series on Crunchyroll? After literally browsing through the entire catalog I settled on the following shows for a wide variety of deep and well thought out reasons such as I think I might have heard something positive about this from someone on some site at some time and this guy reminds me of someone from another series.

SeriesReason
Star DriverI saw an episode in the past and kinda enjoyed it, but never picked it up. I can't think of anything better to do with my time right now so a series like that might actually be able to hold my attention.
The Mystic Archives of DantalianGainax made this and I have faith in them.
R-15I haven't seen a super perverted series in a while... and by a while I mean one season.
Saint Seiya: The Lost CanvasI read somewhere that some character in the franchise has an Aizen-like power and Aizen is one of my favorite characters.
Hanamaru KindergartenI think I read that Gainax was involved in this and I have faith in them. Plus, the character designs look silly and different.
Sasameki KotoI enjoyed Aoi Hana, a yuri romance that was serious so I figured I'd give this a shot.
GA Geijutsuka Art Design ClassPerhaps the worst reason on this list: I enjoyed Working and another series that were based off of a 4-panel comic so I figured I'd give this one a shot since it was based off of one as well.
Glass MaidenI saw a few episodes of this in the past and thought it was ok but I didn't feel like downloading subs for it so I never finished it. Additionally, it's only 12 episodes so I'm closer to finishing it than any other series I can think of.
07 GhostAlmost everything I read in the series description was a turn off but the opening line was, "Teased unmercifully for his past as an orphan and a slave..." I haven't seen a depressing show in a while and that line makes me think this could be the depressing tragedy that I've been searching for.
Super Robot Wars OG: The InspectorA long time ago I wanted to fall asleep while watching anime and I decided to watch the first episode of this. A guy got brutally killed in a very psycho Allelujah Haptism type of way and I decided to turn it off and watch it when I wasn't so tired. Years later, I'm checking it out.

I'll be tackling them 3 at a time and seeing what sticks and what doesn't. I set a rule that I would watch no less than two episodes of a series before dropping it, but that got broken on the very first show. With no further ado...

GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class
GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class

What I Thought Going In

I didn't have any expectations about this other than figuring that there wouldn't be an overarching plot and that it would be a bunch of mini episodes in every episode.

What I Got

Lucky Star + Nichijou - Nice Animation. I'll explain that a little more. People ramble on aimlessly about art techniques and concepts in a way that's very similar to how Lucky Star characters might go for 10 minutes just talking about how they eat ice cream. If I was an art design student, that in itself might be interesting enough. Unlike Lucky Star, I could at least tell that they were trying to be funny and make jokes. Similar to Nichijou, the jokes fell flat 90% of the time.

What I Did

I was super meh on what I thought was the first episode but I was prepared to stick by the two episode rule to see if maybe episode two would be more up my alley. That went out the window when the mid-episode commercial spot came up and I realized that what felt like 30 minutes had only actually been 15 and that I'd have to sit through 3 more of these.
DROPPED
Watch @Crunchyroll
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas

What I Thought Going In

Based off of nothing more than the costumes in the picture above and reading in a Battle forum thread that someone has super illusion Aizen-like powers, I figured this would probably end up as a pretty low budget show with crappy looking fights but there might be at least one guy who does interesting stuff in these crapy fights. If I wasn't literally sitting at my house all day getting bored of video games, I never would have given this a shot.

What I Got

Well, it kicked off with a full English OP, which was funny to me. I was most impressed by how high quality the animation was. The story is standard generic shounen fare, but there were some dark elements and characters that should be killing people and doing twisted things later on. By episode two I was pretty happy I gave this a shot. My attention span is low though.

What I Did

If the story stays as mediocre as it is and they go for a few episodes without nice animation and battles, I will probably drop this in search of something better. But for right now it's more than delivering, especially since my generic shounen but cool fights series that I watch every week (Bleach and Naruto Shippuden) are in the crapper right now and will probably be there for another month or two. At the least, I'm probably going to be in it for 13 episodes or until the Aizen-power guy shows up, whichever comes first.
PICKED IT UP
Watch @Crunchyroll

What I Thought Going In

Well, originally I just watched this in hopes of being able to fall asleep to it so my expectations were crazy low. I actually thought this would be like those chibi Super Robot Wars games.

What I Got

An intro that sounds like some late 80s or early early 90s power rock. That was awesome. After that, I got Gundam 00 but goofier. This show exudes G00 to an extreme degree, almost to the point that I think they might be related. Some leader gives a speech in a room that looks identical to one used in G00 and they even use the same font to tell you what location a scene is taking place in. Outside of the plagiarism/inspiration that rivals Fairy Tail, this show has been pretty kick ass in a silly way. The fight animation is on par or better than G00, the female mech has nipples on it (this instantly reminded me of Batman Forever), breasts jiggle at every possible opportunity, Aizen's voice actor is in it and he might be playing a shady snake in the grass character, and people get killed in awesome Gundamy ways.

What I Did

It should be obvious that I'm sticking with this one. I haven't seen a mech series since G00 and this one is definitely scratching that itch. Plus, it's super awesome in all the right ways. It's interesting though, the silliness of Star Driver was initially a turn off to me yet this show is just as ridiculous yet that's the appeal. Well, that and Aizen being in it.
PICKED IT UP
Watch @Crunchyroll
Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@sickVisionz: Have you played Super Robot Wars OG 1 or 2 on the GBA? Because the story in this anime is based off of the second game. You don't have to play it to understand the characters and plot, but it helps. 

Also, in the not-OG versions of Super Robo (that will never be released stateside due to a pending clusterfuck of licensing issues), they actually do borrow characters and mechs from the multitude of Gundam series and other anime that have mechs in them. So you aren't too far off.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel