Adult Swim Anime Watch: No More Moribito

Topic started by gia on Jan. 16, 2009. Last post by Dark_Shadow_Vampire 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Seirei no Moribito
Seirei no Moribito
Sad news for anime fans, especially anime fans whose primary method of watching the stuff is Adult Swim: the network has cancelled future airings of Seirei no Moribito as of this very weekend. You won't see anything after episode 10.

The very, very thin silver lining on this cloud is that the rest of the Saturday anime block-- Code Geass, Shin-chan, Fullmetal AlchemistDeath Note, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, InuYasha –will run a half-hour earlier, and they'll actually be airing two InuYasha eps in a row.

Post by CalAggie (63 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Not a big surprise considering they were currently rerunning the first 10 episodes (is there a dubbing issue at Bang Zoom we don't know about?), but still a downer for people like myself who want new anime to come before the general public over basic cable, especially something engaging like Moribito. Sigh.

Hopefully Media Blasters' disc releases will pick up as the only upcoming release is Volume 3 on February 10th, which contains episodes 8-10, conveniently enough. It would be sad if this falls into a release hiatus.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
...WHY?

WHY are we still rerunning SIX old series, almost all of which have been airing for more than three years, and canceling one of two (or three? I don't watch Shin-chan and don't know) premiere shows? Why aren't more people giving these shows the ratings they need to stay on the air? D8 Why doesn't Moribito even have the option of being streamed on [adultswim]'s website??
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Kiriska said:
"Why doesn't Moribito even have the option of being streamed on [adultswim]'s website??"
  Licensing issue? I really wish that the anime block started earlier. Waiting until 3 a.m. to watch Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell is terrible, and the only reason I don't watch them. I don't see any reason to air two episodes of Inuyasha at 5 in the morning.
Post by transgojobot (122 posts) See mini bio Level 2
This doesn't comes as any surprise to me. [as] has long had this bizarre "love/hate" relationship with anime programming. When the block was just getting its feet wet, [as] couldn't get enough anime programming on.

In the years since then, [as] has shifted more to comedy and their own original programming. Business-wise, it makes some sense. [as] doesn't reap many benefits from the anime titles they air, except whatever ad-time they're able to sell. They don't own the distribution and merchandising rights to Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach or Cowboy Bebop. Bandai, Funimation, Viz and their Japanese contacts do.

[adult swim], however, can earn revenue from the DVDs, figures, movie rights, lunchboxes, and CDs to all the Robot Chickens, Aqua Teens and Frisky Dingoes they come up with. And when the ratings for those original shows begin equaling or beating the anime ratings, well, you can see what happened.

Still, that doesn't explain why [as] seems to have some form of ADD, when it comes to scheduling ALL OF THEIR SHOWS. *smh*
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
See, I would have so much less of a problem with [as] if they just took anime off and kept it off. This back and forth thing is like repeatedly stabbing anime fans in the face. ;\ Or dangling a piece of meat there and repeatedly taking it away.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
There're a few strange things about anime on [as]. For example, anime companies have to pay to get their shows on; they essentially act as big long commercials for the DVDs and other merchandise. In this economy, anime companies are probably running low on funds for such 'ads.'

I would also assume that [as] is more willing to lower that price for shows that are known quantities than for new, untested anime.

Mostly speculation, but there it is.
Post by Death_Flame (318 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Hey, more Inuyasha :D
Post by Dark_Shadow_Vampire (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I find it very disappointing that they would take something as engaging as Moribito off. Does anyone know if they dubbed it at least? And possibly how I could watch it if they did? I don't mind the subbed versions but I would prefer the dubbed seeing as I already started it like that...
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel