Japanese Girls Are Tough...Looking

Topic started by gia on Oct. 21, 2009. Last post by Koiyuki 4 years, 10 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

The first Google search result for "tsuyome joshi" in Japanese.
 The first Google search result for "tsuyome joshi" in Japanese.
 Mezase Kirei Kei
 Mezase Kirei Kei
 Miley Cyrus: Japanese Tough Girl?
 Miley Cyrus: Japanese Tough Girl?
Move over, gothic lolitas: you're getting kicked around by tsuyome joshi, or tough girls. At least according to the Mainichi, that's the latest trend-- basically a move from the frilly princess to the rocker, a look that has certainly been around for quite some time but which appears to be gaining ground.

Currently the tsuyome joshi has several sub-sets, the "trend tsuzui kei" (trend follower) who leans to the '80s punk avant-garde, the "mezase kirei kei" (aspiring beauty) who aim for a more mature look by wearing boyish clothes, and the "ganso tsuyome kei" ("original" type, mostly visual kei fans who wear heavy makeup and go all out in their costuming), and who are reportedly not thrilled to be the next big trend. And then there are the fence-sitters: "switch kei," who only occasionally don the tough-girl look.

Basically, it sounds like a move away from "kawaii" (cute) and more into "kakkoii" (cool). Though I can't help but notice that the outfit worn by the "mezase kirei kei" girl looks like something I'd expect Miley Cyrus to wear.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Well, isn't the stereotype of Japanese kawaii clothing very moe in general. Often times to the point of being over the top. I think a turn more toward the cool look would be an improvement. I just don't think 80's or 90's grunge rock is a step in the right direction.
Post by lolwut (30 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Fashion trends are retarded and 3D is pig disgusting.
Post by Sonata (35,328 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'm diggin the Southern Plaid lookXD
Post by Koiyuki (31 posts) See mini bio Level 2
This reminds me of "I Love Rock 'N' Roll" for some reason. Yes, I can definitely see that song encapsulating their movement 

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel