Ten Favorite Japanese Expressions

Topic started by Seancar2010 on Sept. 1, 2010. Last post by ReplicaRex 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by Seancar2010 (10 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I mostly learned these from watching anime, but was also taught in a japanese conversation class:
  • Yatta (I did it!): Use when you accomplished something big, receive a great opportunity or feel victorious.
  • Honto (Really?): Use it to confirm what you've just heard.
  • A, so desu ka? (Oh, I see): Use it every time your conversational provides a new piece of information. Be sure to nod as you say this expression.
  • Mochiron (Of course!): This is the favorite adverb of confident people. Use it when you are confident of your opinion.
  • A, yokatta (Oh, good): Use it every time you feel like saying "What a relief."
  • Zenzen (not at all): Suppose someone asks you, "Am I disturbing you?" when he's not bothering you at all. Say it and shake your head.
  • Doshiyo (What shall I do?): Use it when you are in a panic and have no idea what to do.
  • A, bikkurishita (What a surprise!): Use it when you are very suprised.
  • Yappari (I knew it would happen): Sometimes you have a vague suspicion that something will happen, and then it actually happens.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
People die when they are killed! XD Totally kidding. I just like it when the say "Kawaii!!!!" (Cute)
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

These are pretty standard expressions found in just about every anime/manga. Nice list.

Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
You can get by in Japanese with 'aa, sou/I see' (ああ、そう)  'sou desuka/I see, is that right'(そうですか?) ’sou desune/It's like that, isn't it' (そうですね) and the like pretty effectively.   (Forgive my awful literal translation)
Wakkata/I Understand (分かった) is pretty handy too. 

Also, you'll hear Otsukare or Otsukaresama/That's enough for today/Good work  (お疲れさま)  ALL the time.  Besides 'sou' I think it is the most common word I hear.  Anytime somebody finishes work, or you go out for drinking after work, or anything like that.  
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,725 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Anta Baka?
Post by ReplicaRex (584 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@hitsusatsu11: which is usually considered pretty rude.

Post by AURON570 (548 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Itadakimasu!

Well... if you say so..
Well... if you say so..
Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@hitsusatsu11 said:

Anta Baka?

You mean anata baka?

I don't have ten but my faves would be:

1. Baka na: generally means nonsense, ridiculous, etc. Best used in fights where you see the opponent do something that seems impossible.

2. So... nna: the technical definition is like that type of x where x is a noun/nominal following it or to that extent if it's followed by ni. When it's left alone in anime it usually means something like impossible, I can't believe it (negative way though), or this can't be where they've dropped out a lot of the words in the phrase. Best usage is when it has the spacing like that and said during a fight. 9/10 it's because someone just got their ass kicked faster than they thought humanly possible.

3. Baka Baka shi: Something like don't be ridiculous or that's nonsense. Best usage is when someone tries to compare themselves or someone else to you and suggest that the two of your are equals in some way or actually that you're less than the other.

4. Urusei, Urusei, Urusei: Means shut up, shut up, shut up but it what it really means is that Rie Kugimiya is here to save the day and make the world a better place one role at a time.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I really like the whole "I've leaving" - "I'm home" exchanges that occur between family members.

As exiting: Ittekimasu ("I'm leaving now, but I''ll be back.")

At home reply: Itterasshai ("Goodbye, come home safely.")

Upon return: Tadaima ("I'm home")

Reply: Okaerinasai [Okaeri - less formal] ("Welcome home")

Post by ReplicaRex (584 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@PenguinDust said:

I really like the whole "I've leaving" - "I'm home" exchanges that occur between family members.

As exiting: Ittekimasu ("I'm leaving now, but I''ll be back.")

At home reply: Itterasshai ("Goodbye, come home safely.")

Upon return: Tadaima ("I'm home")

Reply: Okaerinasai [Okaeri - less formal] ("Welcome home")

Yeah, that's pretty basic stuff.

@sickVisionz said:

@hitsusatsu11 said:

Anta Baka?

You mean anata baka?

I don't have ten but my faves would be:

1. Baka na: generally means nonsense, ridiculous, etc. Best used in fights where you see the opponent do something that seems impossible.

2. So... nna: the technical definition is like that type of x where x is a noun/nominal following it or to that extent if it's followed by ni. When it's left alone in anime it usually means something like impossible, I can't believe it (negative way though), or this can't be where they've dropped out a lot of the words in the phrase. Best usage is when it has the spacing like that and said during a fight. 9/10 it's because someone just got their ass kicked faster than they thought humanly possible.

3. Baka Baka shi: Something like don't be ridiculous or that's nonsense. Best usage is when someone tries to compare themselves or someone else to you and suggest that the two of your are equals in some way or actually that you're less than the other.

4. Urusei, Urusei, Urusei: Means shut up, shut up, shut up but it what it really means is that Rie Kugimiya is here to save the day and make the world a better place one role at a time.

Anta is essentially the same thing as anata, it's the more informal version I do believe. I love bakabakashii. Urusei is the Kansai accent for urusai I think too.

Some of my enjoyable ones include:

1. Shikashi, which basically means, yes but...

2. Masaka, which is used for something you can't believe. It's used often in YuGiOh, often when someone loses or a trap is activated that will mean certain defeat for one of the players.

3. Zan nen desu ne, this is a pretty funny one. Oh, that's a shame isn't it?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel