Quick Picks: Itsuwaribito

Topic started by ethan on Dec. 14, 2010. Last post by sora_thekey 3 years, 6 months ago.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
This might be the first time the anime releases list is longer than the manga releases'. Unless I messed up and did not list the all of this week's manga releases (and if that's the case I apologize in advance).  
 Itsuwaribito Vol. 1
 Itsuwaribito Vol. 1
I think the most interesting manga coming out this week is the first volume of Itsuwaribito being released by VIZ. The book is about Utsuho a troublemaker that is raised in a village of orphans by a monk. His truthfulness as a child resulted in an enormous catastrophe so now he decided to lie from that day forward and uses the lessons of good thought by the monk for mischief and deception. So it's pretty much Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender meets Loki from Thor in theMarvel Comics
On the anime side of this week's releases there are a lot of complete collections for some pretty well known anime, like the complete box set of Guyver and The Tower of Druaga. One of the anime that I am still interested in watching, even though every person who has watched this anime said it is horrible, is Sands of Destruction. The Viridian Collection of the anime is coming out this week and even though I know almost no one will buy it, I am tempted to.  
So those are my picks for the week, be sure to comment below and let us know what will you be buying, or give me a good enough reason for not to watch Sands of Destruction.

Manga Releases 

TitlePublisherSRPDate
Arata: The Legend Vol. 4 VIZ Media $9.99 12/14/10 
Detroit Metal City Vol. 7VIZ Media $12.99 12/14/10 
Fairy Idol Kanon Vol. 4 UDON Entertainment $7.99 12/14/10 
InuYasha Vol. 55 VIZ Media $9.99 12/14/10 
Itsuwaribito Vol. 1 VIZ Media $9.99 12/14/10 
Peepo Choo Vol. 3 Vertical, Inc. $12.95 12/14/10 
Street Fighter: Gaiden Vol. 1 UDON Entertainment $12.95 12/14/10 

Anime Releases 

TitleCompanySRPDate
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season One, Part 3FUNimation $49.98 12/14/10 
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season One, Part 3 (Blu-Ray)FUNimation $54.98 12/14/10 
Gun X Sword Complete CollectionFUNimation $49.98 12/14/10 
Guyver: The Complete Box Set (Viridian Collection) FUNimation $39.98 12/14/10 
Naruto Uncut Season 4 Vol. 2 Box Set VIZ Media $49.98 12/14/10 
Nyan Koi!: Complete Collection Section 23 Films $49.98 12/14/10 
Queen's Blade Collection (Blu-Ray)Anime Works $59.95 12/14/10 
Sands of Destruction Complete Collection (Viridian Collection)FUNimation $39.98 12/14/10 
The Tower of Druaga: The Complete Box SetFUNimation $49.98 12/14/10 

Miscellaneous Releases 

TitlePublisherSRPDate
Hiroshima: Autobiography of Barefoot Gen (Asia/Pacific/Perspectives: Asian Voices)Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc. $34.95 12/16/10 

-- Geo (  sora_thekey ), long time user, blogger, wiki editor of the Whiskey Media Sites, and 24/7geek!    
Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18
As much as I like Nyan Koi!, I don't think I like it enough to spend $50 on it. Also, the cover they chose for the DVD makes me feel kinda dirty just looking at it.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Most certainly Peepo Choo and Nyan Koi! are my picks of the lot. But like DocHaus I'm not paying that price. Better go check RightStuf.

Post by Psychotime (53 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Sands of Destruction had a premise with potential that got thrown down the toilet when Sega decided it was too dark and would lose market share because of it. So what we get is a bland, boring, and confusing retool that has no way of working, but seems to want to give it a go anyway.

It's a shame, it really could have been something cool.
 For some reason I can't edit my post right now, so I'll just post a new one.

About Sands of Destruction:

The story is about some dude who gets dragged into a action girl's quest to literally destroy the world, because she see's no hope for humanity in the future. Apparently animal people rule the world, and treats humans as second class citizens, but in here all it amounts to is a generic fantasy world with cute little animal aristocrats who look down on a middle class and won't let them into pubs.

The original premise involved a bleak world where humans are treated like cattle by monstrous animal men and rounded up into concentration camps, and makes the protagonist's motivations believable.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@psychotime: But I wanna see the bear who says "kuma" after every sentence!
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@psychotime:  You forget that Sands of Destruction had one of the most messed up and impossible to figure it out without a guide dungeons since the Water Temple...yeah I'm talking about the Chamber of Knights...here's the diagram on how to navigate the Chamber of Knights:

Oh Fuck You!
 Oh Fuck You!
Post by sickVisionz (4,240 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I'll pick up the DBK box eventually.
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Bump to unsticky, I should say that it looks like an eventful batch of content.
@zombiepie said:
" @psychotime:  You forget that Sands of Destruction had one of the most messed up and impossible to figure it out without a guide dungeons since the Water Temple...yeah I'm talking about the Chamber of Knights...here's the diagram on how to navigate the Chamber of Knights:

Oh Fuck You!
 Oh Fuck You!
"
Because of the confusion this image shows... This is sort-of, kind-of making me not want to watch it!
@sora_thekey:  He'd be cool if he didn't do that. And they keep it in the English dub. I know it's a culture thing, but I can't accept that when it's supposed to be localized.
@psychotime: I think it's cute... Then again I can see how easily it could be annoying!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel