High School of the Dead Deals

Topic started by Guest_Author on May 25, 2011. Last post by FoxxFireArt 3 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff

Highschool of the Dead Blu-ray & DVD Discounts

You know, anime been killing my pocketbook this year, and it's not even half way over. First, I got Summer Wars on Blu-ray for $19.99 then Evangelion 2.22 on Blu-ray for the same price. As I was casually browsing the web early this morning for some fact checking on a blog of Highschool of the Dead (HOTD) I was writing. I saw something rather shocking on a money saving deal that the community really needs to see.

A scary deal on the HOTD Blu-ray
A scary deal on the HOTD Blu-ray

The list price for the Blu-ray on Amazon.com is intended at $69.98 for a two disc set containing all 12 episodes. What I saw on May 25 at 5AM is the series is at a 44% discount of $38.99. Just for your information, the Amazon price for the standard DVD is shown with discount to be $53.99. If you really want the standard DVDs for a better deal. I also researched Rightstuf.com. While their price for the Blu-ray is marginally higher than Amazon, they are offering the standard DVD for $35.99. Mind you, that these discounted prices are subject to change. They could go higher or lower by the time of the June 28th release date.

I haven't been able to confirm that this series will be completed uncensored in this U.S. release, but the back art on the box does say "TV-MA VSD". The definition of these terms by the ratings board are V: graphic violence, S: explicit sexual activity, and D: strong suggestive dialogue. That does imply uncut, but the same rating was given on Anime Network's website, which was shown with some censorship to the more graphic scenes. If you were looking into purchasing Highschool of the Dead on Blu-ray or DVD. There are some great deals out there to take advantage of. Sentai Filmworks is distributing the series in the U.S. and will be both dubbed and subtitled.

If you're new to the HOTD series, you can watch the entire season subtitled on either Anime Network's website (HERE) or on HULU (HERE). Samples of the dub cast can be seen on Anime Network's YouTube Channel (HERE).

UPDATE: I recently heard back from a customer representative of Rightstuf.com on the issue of any possibly censorship. In this brief reply she answered,

"This title will be like the one they produced in Japan."

-Kristoffer Remmell ( FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Post by Synaptic (11 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Wow, so cheap. Definitely gonna be picking up the Blu-Ray
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I already pr-ordered it at the price a few weeks ago. The same goes for Demon King Daimao on BD. These releases will not be edited. Ok, do I know that for a fact? No. But I don't know of any series that come to the US and have an edited release. Such a thing would be an embarrassment and considered an attack against otaku-kind.
Post by CrazyCanuck (169 posts) See mini bio Level 15
if only it was the same on amazon.ca

/cry
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@sotyfan16:

Check the update I added. I heard back from Rightstuf.com, and she gave me a message on the censorship issue.

I take censorship seriously, and you can never be too careful what a company may try to get away with. I saw the rating on the back of the Blu-ray was the same as the one on Anime Network, which was censored. I wanted the consumer to be aware of this when making the order.

Post by dragonsky1 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3
The first run of HoTD on Anime Network was censored as it was the TV broadcast version.  The current dubbed version they are running now is the unedited/uncensored version, and it contains scenes the first run did not, and does away with the "lights" that blocked certain items.

The Bluray and DVD releases are going to be the same materials as what is currently running on Anime Network, so yes they will be unedited.  Sentai Filmworks has also confirmed that Demon King Daimao will be uncensored, though they don't have the Omakes from the Japanese DVD release.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@FoxxFireArt:
I saw it. And I know your stance on censorship all too well. But Sentai and Section23 know how to do things right. And since the manga is uncensored, I see no reason to censor the series. And if such a thing happened, there would be an outrage like we haven't seen before.
@CrazyCanuck:
My sympathies to our northern brothers. There's always a chance the price could still drop for Canada. There's a month until the release.
Post by Sonata (35,313 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@FoxxFireArt: That is cheap, Thanks for the info, been meaning to pre-order it for a while now:)

Post by Ley_Lines (4 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I can also confirm that it is uncensored, I preordered the blu-ray may 5th when it was in my goldbox and contacted sentai filmworks. when asked "Is the high school of the dead blu-ray uncensored?" A one Mr. Mike Bailiff of sentai filmworks replied, " Uncensored. Sentai never censors."

I may hate the sexual pandering in the show but I'll be damned if I'll endorse censorship. Can't wait.

@Noire:

Just hearing that makes me like Sentai Filmworks all the more. I despise censorship. It's one of my biggest problems with VIZ Media. They censor so many of the manga they produce and offer no alternative. I hate it when a company wants me to support their product while they treat me like a child who can't handle the real thing.

The production value in this series is just shocking at times. A lot of great action scenes and animation through out. Though, there was that early episode that was mostly just a recap of the previous events. It's kind of inexcusable to have a filler episode in a series that's so short.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel