Hayao Miyazaki calls the iPad 'disgusting', compares to masturbation

Topic started by YuiAsakawa on July 13, 2010. Last post by Bellum 3 years, 11 months ago.
Post by YuiAsakawa (10 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Everyone knows who famed animator Hayao Miyazaki is, especially now that Disney has made it their world quest to distribute his charming films here in the United States. Which is a great thing. But he's reached that status level where when he speaks, people listen. Which is why his comments yesterday in regards to the iPad and his disgust for it have elicited a reaction in fans of the product and his films alike.

Gizmodo reports that Miyazaki's comments were published int he July issue of Neppuu, where he refers to the iPad as  a "game machine-type thing" that people are "stroking with strange gestures".  He goes on to say that the gesture people make when using the iPad is like masturbation and that he finds it "disgusting".

I can just see Apple fans cringing everywhere. On the other hand, Miyazaki has also said in previous interviews he does not watch television, does not own a computer or a DVD player. He's obviously not interested in modern technology, and while there's nothing wrong with that (and it likely accounts for the lovely tone of some of his work), I do have to admit I am a little disappointed to see him express such distaste. Do I really look like I'm masturbating when I use my iPhone? I mean, I know I have internet addiciton. I know. I'm seeing a doctor about it. I swear! 

Hayao Miyazaki hates me...
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10

the most creative people in the world are always a bit weird.  and they dont come more creative and weird than old Miyazaki
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
That's a bit of an over reaction even if you hate advancements in modern technology lol

@YuiAsakawa: Hello i'm a Doctor, its almost 2 AM go to bed :P
Post by YuiAsakawa (10 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Kelleth  - I do not sleep, sir! I am a robot! :D
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I won't lie, as a PC user I get a bit of a grin over hearing such a creative and artistic person come down against the iPad, but even though I don't like them myself I do think he's going a bit too far with this statement. But hey, anybody who can make films as beautiful as he does is entitled to say some crazy things.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff
In Mother Russia, masturbation is like iPad 64 jiigabites. 
Post by JD (46 posts) See mini bio Level 4
 Everyone is entitled to their opinions.  One question I have but I don't want to know the answer to is: exactly how do the Japanese masturbate?

One should be wary of an opinion of an expert way outside of his field of expertise, it's probably not going to be a better informed opinion than that of any other non-expert.    
Post by Vigorousjammer (19 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I suppose it looks like female masturbation...
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@YuiAsakawa:  Even robots need off time you don't want to end up like Jenny do you? 

@Vigorousjammer said:
" I suppose it looks like female masturbation... "
Japanese female masturbation? duh!! lol
Post by Mezmero (69 posts) See mini bio Level 10
He's not wrong.  He'd be right if you replaced Pad with Phone.
Post by PentaCube (1 posts) See mini bio Level 2
@Mezmero said:
" He's not wrong.  He'd be right if you replaced Pad with Phone. "
You're using it wrong...
Post by Brenderous (19 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Does....  

Does he know what masturbation is?
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
He goes on to say that the gesture people make when using the iPad is like masturbation and that he finds it "disgusting". 

That sounds like something a 17 year old would say in the comments of a blog or a forum.  Coming from an old ass man it's pretty funny imo.  I'd have to read the whole article to know if he was being serious or making a joke.
Post by Chroma (146 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I'm not sure he was serious, but if he was it is a little disappointing. He passes himself off as a prude in my opinion. It doesn't affect how I see his work however. The guy is a creative genius regardless of whether or not he likes these new technologies (and despite his apparent quirky disgust for anything he thinks resembles masturbation). 
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
This sounds like a very immature comment coming from Miyazaki? Are we sure this article was translated correctly and not taken out of context?
Post by MrDirector786 (4,497 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I masturbate when using an iPad all the time. :P
Post by PredatorPT (58 posts) See mini bio Level 20
LOLOLOLOL
Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I love my iPhone. If it looks like I'm masterbating when I use it then don't look at me. It's fine if Hayao is anti-technology but if he doesn't own any of it I would then assume he knows little about it and thus could care less about his opinion on the matter.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
If anything. This tells us what Miyazaki sees as masturbation. If watching iPad users looks like masturbation to him. Either people are using some very odd things with their iPad, or Miyazaki has some rather strange masturbation habits. lol
Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Haha, this article made my day.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel