My impressions of Gurren Lagann

Topic started by GunslingerPanda on Sept. 6, 2011. Last post by Petiew 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by GunslingerPanda (14 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Just finished this series, and it was kind of fantastic. I loved the second half - who wouldn't love a mecha merging with a spaceship to fight the moon? Or two giant mechas throwing entire galaxies at each other? It was completely ridiculous, and the Star Trek-level pseudoscience to make it seem logical while you had no idea what was going on was delicious.

Aside from the crazy robot fights though, there was a wonderful level of emotional drama here too: Kamina's death, Yoko losing every man who kisses her, Simon growing into his leadership role, that wedding scene. :( This seemingly shallow series had a surprising amount of poignant moments.

Personally there was not an episode i didn't like, and it earned a 10/10 from me.

Up next: Elfen Lied

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

What I liked about Gurren Lagann was the synergy between both thematic elements within the show, and its presentation on the outside. The drill or spiral is described within the show as something growing, turning continuously, and with each revolution, become stronger and grander. While it translated to a "never give up" attitude for all the characters within, the show itself took it up on a meta level. Each episode seemed to play a game of one-upsmanship with the previous. Every episode becoming bigger, grander, and at a very constant pace.

Post by Muerthoz (14 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I remember seeing this air on Sci-Fi Channel. Not sure what it was about the show but I just couldn't get into it. I've got a co-worker who is starting to get into anime and he recommended Gurren Lagann to me last week. Maybe I'll try and give this one another shot.
Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I've been meaning to watch this show forever but have only seen the first episode so far.

Post by Aegon (6 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@RockmanBionics said:

I've been meaning to watch this show forever but have only seen the first episode so far.

Haha, same thing with me. Maybe one day. 
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,638 posts) See mini bio Level 13
It blew my fucking mind. I got riled up and wrote one of the most epic pen and paper RPG campaigns I wrote ever, the movies go up to eleven, or in this case square 11, since original series pushed the dial so hard i think it went to 12
Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Definitely give the second movie a look. It's the latter part of the series with quite a few new scenes added. After watching the final battle in that, the TV series ending seems pretty boring/tame in comparison.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel