Zomg ADS!

Topic started by gia on March 2, 2009. Last post by LordAndrew 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
No, not here-- not yet, anyway. But heads up! Comic Vine now has an ad on its news page, as well as on the forums and powers pages. And on the database browse page. I think that's all? All I found, anyway.

It's a fact, my friends, that sites are expected to be able to pay for themselves eventually, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to any of you (beyond that they didn't have ads a while ago). What do you think of what they've got so far? I personally find them very reasonable, noticeable without being intrusive or detracting from the site. Of course, it helps that they're topical (they're all ads for Watchmen, or at least that's all I saw).

I'm curious as to your responses, since presumably we here at the Vice will eventually be seeing ads as well!
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
GiantBomb has them, too. I don't remember people being that glad about ads before.

I am very glad there are ads at GB (and other Whiskey Media sites). And I clicked on it (there seems to be only one), to do my part. ^_^

I don't like the position it has on character pages (it gets in the way of the default image)... but whatever. If it makes the sites money so they can continue on, then I'll accept them. Or, I'll temporarilty disable AdBlock, click on the ads and enable it again (and check for new ads from time to time).
Post by Dawnwalker (1,663 posts) See mini bio Level 5
This is why I love Adblock xP
Post by Amuck (943 posts) See mini bio Level 9
-_- I HATE the ads... I'm on comicvine all the time, and I find the ads rather distracting... yes... they distract me xD

plus they take up space on my screen, darn the ads! xP I might do what Dawn is doing and use Adblock, when I'm not too lazy to download it, lol
Post by CalAggie (63 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Don't mind ads that much as the site's gotta make money. I'll probably see them more often than I once would have since my Chrome use has increased recently (meaning less FF and AdBlock).

I don't want ads to overlap content but banner and side block orientations are fine, though I would be a little less fine (but still understanding) with side blocks on character/series pages.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I want ads on animevice.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I dislike ads with a passion and would consider donating to keep them out of my view. I use adblock 24/7 and never turn it off so I won't see them either way but like I said I'd consider donating and would have an even greater motivation to do so if there was something "extra" we could get besides removal of ads ala animenewsnetwork.
Post by Sonata (35,514 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Booooo Ads!! BOOOO!
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
They make things suck...

Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I don't mind ads at, as long as they don't have sound. I'm generally able to ignore ads for the most part, and if one catches my eye, good work on the ad maker's part. Still, I hate it when audio comes up on a page with no warning or expectation. Ads are fine, but say no to those with audio.
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
What's with the hate? They're not going to be showing ads all the time on every page. The last time we had ads on Giant Bomb was back in November, and members were very receptive to them.
And they'll only show ads for products that they would personally buy, and that they think will be of interest to visitors of the site.

Here's G-Man's review of said product, for those of you who are curious.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
It kinda effes up the pictures if you post them in large also i really like the wide layout we have now so i dont really look forward to looking at a thin layout :P
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Adblock is your friend. It's like there never was an ad to begin with.
I would have thought you guys would be more supportive of the extremely rare advertisements that help keep Whiskey Media running. But I guess not. :/
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
LordAndrew said:
"I would have thought you guys would be more supportive of the extremely rare advertisements that help keep Whiskey Media running. But I guess not. :/"
You know, given the positive reaction at GB (from the threads I've read), it wouldn't surprise me at all that people created new forum threads or bumped old threads to alert other users of new ads so they notice and click on them. Such as people with Adblock normally on. (If those threads don't appear I'll have to turn it off for GB / AV...)

I remember reading that clicking too many times on them is useless (they'll notice and take measures)... so they can't be blindly clicked, I guess.

I doubt I could actually buy something shown in an ad... so maybe I should get something from the store...  Will there be a store here?
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I say go for it, the ones on CV look fine and don't do any harm
jlrm01 said:
"I doubt I could actually buy something shown in an ad... so maybe I should get something from the store...  Will there be a store here?"
They could sell condoms and pillows with the Anime Vice mascot on them. XD
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Ads are a part of life. They keep the websites running. I'm indifferent to them. If they're there they're there. They don't hurt any of us and they  help the company running the websites. It's unrealistic to somehow expect them to fund themselves.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Websites can't unfortunately run on spiral power alone.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
This is great news, I'm glad Whiskey Media is making money with this. And to all the people who are not supportive of this you must know that they're very smexy and barely get in the way, plus, if any site deserves money is this one.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel