ZOHMG LAUNCH!

Topic started by gia on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Void_Wizard 5 years, 11 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Yipe, what a crazy-ass couple'a days it's been! I've been trying to get to this post for, uh...well, since pre-launch. Oops.

So, welcome to Anime Vice! I'll have a lengthy article on the site shortly where I go into more detail about the site's goals and what-all, but for now, I just want to sit back, relax, and have a drink. Err, wait, no, that wasn't it. Think, gia, think. Stop typing whatever comes into your head and think for a second! (Boy, it's a good thing I don't REALLY do that. It gets pretty nasty up there.)

So what I really wanted to say is, thanks for coming! We've been working on Anime Vice for ages it seems (and through several different names as the time has passed), although I guess I've been on it for about ten months...which maybe isn't all THAT long as far as major websites go? I dunno, I wasn't really involved in much of the development of my previous site, animeOnline. (I'll talk more about that some other time.)

But man, what an amazing launch! It's been so incredible to get such a huge response in such a short time. I hope we fulfill (and go beyond) everyone's expectations so y'all stick around for good! Also, if I can just take a moment to be a complete Internet fangirl? Danny Choo wrote about our launch. My face (or, I guess, my neck?) is actually on his site. Danny Choo, for those not familiar, is one of Japan's most famous bloggers. He blogs in both English and Japanese, mostly about figures but also about life in Japan and other otaku-related topics. So, yeah, I definitely squeed when I saw that. Thanks, Danny! <3

And thanks to everyone else who's been linking to us, whether you're posting to a blog or just passing it on to friends. Welcome to the Vice Squad!
Post by Bellatrix (19 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Squee is not a verb. In fact, it isn't even a word
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Wow Danny Choo blogged about this site. Congrats! I check out his site occasionally.

I am so happy to be on this site. It's a really great place so far and I cannot wait to see what happens in its future.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
HEAR HEAR!
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Hmm...why didn't that post on Danny Choo not show up in my RSS feeds? Maybe mine doesn't get all of his posts like I thought. Anyway, awesome shoutout from Danny Choo. Congrats on the site.
Bellatrix said:
"Squee is not a verb. In fact, it isn't even a word"
Then you are perfectly excused from ever having to use it, scout's honor. :)
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Congrats on the launch gia! I hope everyone feels welcome here, and also feels welcome to try out the other Whiskey sites! We don't bite (for the most part.)
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Bellatrix said:
"Squee is not a verb. In fact, it isn't even a word"
Actually, this is not a valid statement. The fact that it is a collection of letters with a meaning attached makes it a word. The problem in this situation is that it is not in any dictionary... yet. You see, language is constantly shifting, and  is never, EVER static. A dictionary is in no way a definer of what is and is not a word. A dictionary is nothing more than a collection of words which were commonly accepted when it was published.
Basically, I'm just trying to say that it is in fact a word. All that's required for something to be a word is a signifier (the collection of letter s+q+u+e+e) and the signified (the act of producing a squee (which is an onomatopoeia)), combine and poof, a word is created. It goes along with how "ain't" is a word. According to the descriptive rules (which I laid out for you earlier) "ain't" is a perfectly fine word, but the prescriptive rules (which are rules set up by the "language authorities") say it isn't to be used.
Also, there is a debate in the academic community as to whether or not this type of language (referred to as the abnormal discourse) should be allowed. This abnormal discourse basically covers the use of language that applies to ones individual experience (such as using terms one would find in an anime community, "squee" for instance), but many groups feel that the language should be more of a standard, so that meanings are more easily pulled form the texts. I for one believe in the abnormal discourses due to the fact that I feel that pushing the standard academic discourse stifles the creative faculties as wll as dimmishing the individual personality of the writer.
Don't mind me too much, I'm just an English teacher with a bit too much time on my hands tonight.

Oh yea, before I forget, gratz on the launch Gia.
Hmm...I'd argue that it in order for "squee" to perform the function of a word, it also has to be interpretable in more or less the same vein as it was originally stated. I.e. it's not a word if I'm the only person in the entire world who knows what it means.

However, this doesn't really apply to "squee," which is pretty commonly known in most fan circles, and used regularly in many. I certainly agree with you on the fact that there's no point in trying to force a language to include or not include certain words; it will always evolve organically, as people use what makes the most sense to them. (Check out France's attempts to ensure that foreign words don't "infect" their language, it's mostly pretty sad.)
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8
thanks im glad to be here
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Congratulations on the launch. Really nice site, as I expected (must be the whiskey ;). I'm split between here and GB, but I'll try to help. Both places are dedicated to things I've always loved.
gia said:
"Hmm...I'd argue that it in order for "squee" to perform the function of a word, it also has to be interpretable in more or less the same vein as it was originally stated. I.e. it's not a word if I'm the only person in the entire world who knows what it means."
It doesn't discount it as a word in definition, but in function it helps. This basically comes down to semantics. I was once tempted in a linguistics class to write "duck" for every answer, and then justify it by saying "semantics". The professor said she would have failed me, but would have been damn impressed at the same time.
But isn't a "word" in part defined *by* its function, i.e. to communicate? Communication is a two-way path; there has to be a "speaker" and a "listener." If the speaker uses complete gibberish, there can be no (verbal) communication because the listener won't understand any of it.

Of course, that opens the idea that in certain situations, a foreign language doesn't really exist if you try to use it with people who don't speak it, but I kind of think that's being deliberately obtuse. @.o
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I think squee is a very nice word and anyone who has such a problem with it can take a few steps back and run their genitalia through a paper shredder =]
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
congrats gia. site is really fun so far
I agree with you for the most part. I'll agree that a work without a well-known meaning isn't what would be considered an accepted word, but the word itself, so long as it holds meaning for the user, has function. The function may be crappy, but it's still a word, much like in your foreign language comment. The function will suck, and be near non-existent, the word will never be included in a dictionary or used at large, but I still think it should be considered a word.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
That's awesome that this site(and you) got a blog on danychoo! Everyone who is anyone know he's one of the top dogs of the anime otaku blogging world. I'm sure as long as we keep up our growth and content we can be great and actually stick around unlike how animeOnline turned out.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel