WM is sold, Giantbomb and ComicVine splitting off.

Topic started by Turambar on March 15, 2012. Last post by UsachanMaN 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15

No idea what direction BermanBraun will be going but it has announced that it will be creating three new sites using the Whiskey platform.

Post by Hailinel (76 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@ZombiePie said:

No idea what direction BermanBraun will be going but it has announced that it will be creating three new sites using the Whiskey platform.

Hopefully, their plans don't include reducing this site and Screened to ashes.

Post by sickVisionz (4,294 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I think it's telling (or maybe just different toilet, same shit) that every other WM site has had a staff person acknowledge the sale and answer questions but AV has been left totally in the dark about it. I want to be optimistic, but it's seeming more and more like these new owners aren't going to be the Dumbledores rescuing us from a Harry Potter life of being forced to live underneath the stairs in the Whiskey Media house.

Hopefully, somebody somewhere will say something next week about what's going on.

@sickVisionz said:

I think it's telling (or maybe just different toilet, same shit) that every other WM site has had a staff person acknowledge the sale and answer questions but AV has been left totally in the dark about it. I want to be optimistic, but it's seeming more and more like these new owners aren't going to be the Dumbledores rescuing us from a Harry Potter life of being forced to live underneath the stairs in the Whiskey Media house.

Hopefully, somebody somewhere will say something next week about what's going on.

I think part of the reason for the lack of any sort of answers here is that Anime Vice had no full-time editorial staff. I'm not sure who would be the best to answer questions regarding the site's fate at this point.

Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Hailinel: @sickVisionz: Geo (Sorathekey) has spoken to Tom about the site and shot some video for either us or maybe Comicvine. (Twitter)

So I guess we will find out at soonish, or we will show up one day and the whole thing will be down.

Post by MrXD (643 posts) See mini bio Level 15

This what I think about all about this:

@damswedon said:

@Hailinel: @sickVisionz: Geo (Sorathekey) has spoken to Tom about the site and shot some video for either us or maybe Comicvine. (Twitter)

So I guess we will find out at soonish, or we will show up one day and the whole thing will be down.

That's good, at least. I hope that it comes soon.

Post by GiveUpNed (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3

@Addfwyn said:

I'm generally okay with this, I never possessed an immense enmity towards Gamespot that fuels a lot of the Giant Bomb community. I won't star preaching about the sky falling until well, it falls. The biggest loss will be some of the cool cross-site stuff they did before, which always ignored Anime Vice anyway.

Am curious what this will mean for anime vice. More staffers assigned to it wouldn't hurt for sure, and I'd love to see it get a bit more attention.

Animevice will probably be tossed under the buss. Tested.com was the property they wanted along with the Whiskey Media API. Look at Tested.com It looks completely different. Animevice and Screened will be thrown under the bus.

Post by parasyteFMA (113 posts) See mini bio Level 10

To me, this was all only a matter of time.

I stopped visiting the site as soon as Gia and John left. I liked the content they produced and I thought they gave the site structure. As a guy who put a lot of time into this site (wiki entries), I just felt that there was nothing on this site was worth my time anymore. With them gone, I sort of packed my bags in the anime world and moved onto other stuff. (Music and gaming are very important to me.) While I think a community run site is beneficial since it's sort of self-sufficient, the lack of site personalities really turned me off. Now, with Whiskey being sold, I have a hunch this site and Screened will fold within a year; and that is insanely upsetting to me.

Anime Vice is the last bastion of internet anime communities. I would hate to see the site end due to all the nice people on here losing a place where they love to go.

Best of luck to this site, and to people who love anime as I once did.

Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I hope they don't pull the plug on the Vice(especially since I just came back Dx) This place has undoubtedly become my favorite Whisky Media site; even more so than Comic Vine.

Post by feargalr (2 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I don't really go on animevice that much but Id hate to see it be shut down. Maybe BermanBraun will just continue to let it be pretty much entirely community run? If the ad revenue and premium memberships cover the cost of the hosting and what not, then there's no reason not to.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,514 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I wouldnt want this site to close down, its like the only site I'm actually active on and actually enjoy my time on XD Besides, we got amazing users here that make the site feel really homey :)

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel