Why/What qualities do you like (in) your favorite anime(s)?

Topic started by Vouile on Oct. 20, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by Vouile (12 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Among this list of Anime or your own favored anime, please tell me why you like it and/or what qualities you like about it. If you are to pick it from one from the list, please explain why it is popular, if not, please list some anime that you think are the best, and you recommend people to watch. If you are to explain, please explain through a personal view and a world wide view with depth and analysis of why you like your favorite anime (whether it is on the list or not).

· Fairy Tail

· Death Note

· Naruto

· Soul Eater

· Full Metal Alchemist

· One Piece

· Bleach

· Black Butler

· Naruto Shippuden

· Full Metal Alchemist

· Durarara!!

· Dragon Ball Z

· Blue Exorcist

· Inuyasha

· Ouran High School Host Club

· High School of the Dead

· Code Geass

· Elfen Lied

· Pokemon

· Yu-Gi-Oh!

· Clannad

· Vampire Knight

· Fruits Basket

· Detective Conan

· Sword Art Online

· Angel Beats

· Shaman King

· Dragonball

· Rurouni Kenshin

· Neon Genesis Evangelion

· Samurai Champloo

· FLCL

· Gintama

· Gurren Lagann

· Last Exile

· Ranman ½

· Shakugan No Shana

· The World God Only Knows

· Ghost in the Shell

· Gundam Wing

· Cowboy Bebop

· Hellsing Ultimate

· Steins; Gate

· Usagi Drop

· Eden Of The East

· Mirai Nikki

· Guilty Crown

· K

· Fate/Zero

· Katekyo Hitman Reborn

· Sankarea

· Hetalia

· Deadman Wonderland

· Hunter X Hunter

This list contains most of the world's officially most popular anime.

Vouile

Post by NoOne_13 (61 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Its hard for me to say what it is about a certain anime I like. I really enjoy it when the plot and story make sense (it was the main reason I hated the FLCL ending) and likable characters are a must. If the main character is an asshole then I'm not going to want to watch him be an asshole. Some fanservice is fine as long as its not one of the main aspects of the show and good pacing.

Post by sickVisionz (4,258 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Art Style (As)

I like stylish visuals. If a show has a unique art style, i'll often give it a shot solely because of that. Inside of that I'll include little cool stylistic editing things like how you might be watching Bleach and on a major hit, the whole screen turns to like red and black. Little flares like that can go a long way and they aren't really about animation.

Animation (An)

I've been into movies since I was a child and cinematography is something I've really gotten into since high school. Live-action has elements that simply can't be controlled because the world just doesn't work like that, but in anime every visual element is at the total control of the artist and it's possible to achieve perfection in every frame. Animation plays a big role in that because not only do you have total and perfect control over what's on camera, you have total and perfect control over how it moves.

Character Interaction (C)

What really pulls me into a series is how the characters interact with each other and the role the play in shaping where the story goes. It's why I can enjoy slice of life so much despite them not really being about anything sometimes or going anywhere. If it's enjoyable to watch the characters just interacting with each other then I'm sold far more than a story ever sells me. I also like watching how characters shape the events of a series. It's a reason why I like villains so much more than good guys. Their actions are what sets everything in motion and often the series wouldn't be about anything if it wasn't for the villains doing stuff.

I Really Don't Like Good Guys (G)

If the good guys win, I like for them to take a lot of losses along the way, almost to the point where it seems like it wasn't worth it. Pain and tragedy usually leads to intense scenes and good drama so I like seeing this.

Villains Are Great (V)

Even as a little kid I prefered villains. They're more interesting, they're smarter. Villains are the ones in most shows who are carrying out the thing teachers always used to tell me about how if you can do anything if you set your mind to it and that hard work pays off. Good guys are almost always a bunch of slackers who go in with no real plan and catch every lucky break imaginable and somehow emerge victorious despite their lack of trying.

In addition to that, their horrible deeds create interesting scenes and situations that leads too cool bits of character interaction.

Having said all that, I'll run down your list

· Death Note

As, An (never has writing looked so epic), Gg (the good guys get killed left and right in this), V (this whole show is told from the perspective of the villain so I loved it)

· Naruto & Shippuden

An (when they want to, this show is pure visual glee), V (there are huge chunks where this show is nothing but Villians bringing it to good guys)

· Soul Eater

As, An, C (watching everyone do silly shit with each other is pretty fun), V (Medusa was awesome and her stealing that little girl's body led to an awesome creepy scene with her mom. Series went way downhill once she was removed imo)

· Full Metal Alchemist (Original)

G (These kids did not have an easy life. None of the good guys really had an ok time. Hell, the series basically ends with a message of, "hey, sometimes you try hard but you still don't get what you want. That's life") & V (Dante was a different villain than usual and there was soooo much tragedy and awesome drama caused by the bad guys)

· Bleach

As (they always kept this stuff up), An (this fell the hell off though. Once every blue moon you get a well done episode but it's extremely rare), V (Aizen... nuf said. Almost nobody just lucks up and half asses their way into beating him. He's making up for all the villains who had to get beaten on nonsense)

· Dragon Ball Z

As, An, V (they are what makes this series interesting. All the good guys are super lames and losers except for the ones who used to be bad guys)

· Inuyasha

I don't remember much about this but there is an episode where this Doctor is helping people and seems really cool but the episode ends with him washing his hands with a crazy look on his face like, "the blood, it won't come off" and he has a mental breakdown. That scene was awesome and while I don't remember much else about the series and didn't like Final Act all the much, I watched it because of that one scene, which as probably filler.

· Ouran High School Host Club

G (I watched this, don't remember much. Only thing I remember is that there was a fake rape scene designed to shock the lead character and make her recognize her weaknesses. I thought that was nice and dark scene and there was other stuff suggested that some of the lead's live's were actually pretty terrible. That's what kept me watching)

· High School of the Dead

An, C, G (people got eaten!), V (there was a creepy teacher who had this cultish following and seemed like he was having sex with his students and really taking advantage of the zombie apocalypse. That was great.)

· Code Geass

G (hell yeah, good guys get played like fools and then killed, especially in season 2. The main guy is kinda a villain and even he has some tragedy happen to him. I couldn't ask for more), V

· Elfen Lied

G (little kids get ripped apart for fun and have some really really really rough lives, incestuous love triangle... it's hard times for the people in this show and none of them get off without some tragedy) V

· Sword Art Online

As (every episode is like top quality animation), C (not great but there are some decent interactions to keep it more than just pure animation)

· Angel Beats

C, As, G

· Rurouni Kenshin (Movie)

As (old stuff again), An, G (my memory is murky but I think either his wife is killed by the enemy or his wife is the enemy. Either way, awesome way to ruin a good guy's life right there.)

· Neon Genesis Evangelion

As (I love how older stuff looks), An (this was the first time I'd ever seen an anime where I felt like a scene had perfection in every frame the episode where the dummy plug goes wild), C, G (terrible things happen to these characters), V (Ahh, Gendo. His name will live in infamy)

· Samurai Champloo

As, An, C

· FLCL

As, An

· Shakugan No Shana

An (when it wants to), C

· Ghost in the Shell (SAC)

An, As, V (specifically 2nd Gig. The main baddie there is actually pretty awesome). Story doesn't usually do much for me as it's usually just a way to get more interesting C, G, and V stuff and I don't really care about the plot, but SAC actually has really interesting stories to tell. I didn't really care about the characters and none of them really went through tragedy, but the stories were interesting. I'll also add that the major is probably the only good guy I like, mostly because she's no bullshit and will kill people without hesitation and she actually makes plans and strategizes. She wins because she's smart, not because she caught lucky breaks while half-assing her way to victory.

· Cowboy Bebop

An, As, Ci, G (I didn't really care for Julia but it was cool to see Spike suffer so much over her)

· Steins; Gate

Ci, another rare thing where I'd say the story beats played a major role in me watching it.

· Usagi Drop

As, Ci

· Mirai Nikki

I dropped this before the last episode but Ci, G, V kept me interested when I was watching it.

· Fate/Zero

As, Ci, V (so many awesome ones. Aizen was cool, Aizen's homeboy was cool, and the psycho kid murderers... that was bliss for the G part of me that loves to see people put through horrible situations)

· Deadman Wonderland

As, An, G, V

· Hunter X Hunter

As, An (when it wants to), Ci (Gon and Kirua make a good team), G (most of them have bad backgrounds), V

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel