Why Western movies based on anime fail so much?

Topic started by comicfanforever on June 14, 2011. Last post by EganTheVile1 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by comicfanforever (450 posts) See mini bio Level 12
 Why Western movies based on anime fail so much? 
In your opinion
Post by sickVisionz (4,297 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I can only think of 2: Dragon Ball and Speed Racer. Dragon Ball blew but Speed Racer was umm... Speed Racer stayed pretty true to being an anime in live action and it's shortcomings were all things that were in the actual Speed Racer anime or in lighthearted anime in general.

I wouldn't call it (Speed Racer) fail though. On one hand it's a good example of why you should change things to suit the medium you're working in but on the other hand I like how it's so much an anime in live-action form. I think we might see some semi-serious stuff that comes close, but for lighthearted content I don't think we'll ever see another live action movie that really capture anime to the degree that SR did.

Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@sickVisionz: You forgot about 'The Guyver' with Mark Hamill.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25

The Dragon Ball Evolution movie changed everything that made Dragon Ball what it was. It didn't even keep the personalities of the characters. That was just some cheesy B movie with Dragon Ball's name slapped on it. I understand that movie adaptation can't be 100% accurate, but that's no excuse to not even be 10% accurate. The character of Goku is suppose to be incredibly happy, easy-going, and kind of a simpleton at things. That movie changed him into an angst-ridden teenager who can't get a date. They basically made it an anime equivalent of Twilight. In the original manga, Goku hardly knew the difference between boys and girls. It was a comedy adventure series.

There is also the trouble of when you bring anything from animation into the real world. When something is a cartoon, the audience tends to be more generous with the suspension of disbelief. Things that work on the page aren't necessarily going to translate to the real world. A good example would be Wolverine. His comic book yellow and blue outfit looks good in the comics, but would look ridiculous if they tried it in the live-action films. I just keep wondering why they don't put more effort into bringing some of the actual anime movies to the big screen. A lot of those are fun to watch. Though, the problem where is that most of those are made for an audience who are already familiar with the characters going into the movie.

I look at adaptations the same way I look at a recipe. If you want to make a recipe that you see is really popular and that people enjoy. You get this recipe, but rather than using what is written, you change most of the ingredients. Once you've changed what makes the recipe, you can't then be confused why no one likes it your take on it. It's no longer the same recipe. You need to keep the heart of the character. Otherwise it's no longer the same story so many people loved.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
I think DeathNote has pretty good chances of being made into a sensible movie as long as they handle the part of Shinigami's well.
Post by taichokage (13,650 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Dragonball Evolution is a prime example. The Last Airbender was also, only I can half accept it because Avatar wasn't really a genuine anime. It was made by westerners and had no manga. It was just called anime because the show was based on Asian characters, but the movie even got that wrong.
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@taichokage said:
Dragonball Evolution is a prime example. The Last Airbender was also, only I can half accept it because Avatar wasn't really a genuine anime. It was made by westerners and had no manga. It was just called anime because the show was based on Asian characters, but the movie even got that wrong.
I wouldn't consider it an anime for anything, most of the anime fans probably wouldn't either. 
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Does the Matrix fall into this category? It was heavily inspired by the film version of Ghost in the Shell. And it's a really good movie.
@ninjadude853: Even though it was heavily inspired, do we really count it official ? 
Post by Bigheart711 (3,989 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Not all of the content developed into anime-based movies from the west has been true to the original source material and constantly results to being either fairly decent or a horrible mess. Most of the movies mentioned fall on the horrible mess category, but I'd put Dragonball Evolution into an even lower category if possible.
Post by GoodGamerSambo (195 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@comicfanforever: Because only the japanese make super awesome movies based of anime! lol xD ;)
Post by SSJjanemba (2,179 posts) See mini bio Level 11
i personally thought dbo was good as a movie not as an adaption, but meh thats just my opinion 
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I feel that one of the reasons is that they try to pack a whole season or series into 2 hours of screentime or less. Take the last  airbender for example(its technically not an anime, but just bear with me here) they tried to pack a season consisting of 20 episodes into one movie and it epically failed. Or how baout DBZ where they basically combined(or tried to anyway) 14 volumes of the original DB into a movie. I just ended up looking stupid
@Haofan123: It did fail epically, then again, look at the series itself, it had way too many events to pack it into a 90 minute film. 
Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

it's just like why movies based on video games are bad as well, they don't stick with original storyline, hollywood just add or fix the way they want to, which screws up really really bad

Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@fire_star said:
@Haofan123: It did fail epically, then again, look at the series itself, it had way too many events to pack it into a 90 minute film. 
exactly, and thats why trying to pack them all into a 2 hour movie is one of the reasons the movies turn out so badly
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Wonder how the Voltron one next year will fare... Though you cant really call them all failures, as much as I dislike the Bay Transformers movies for so many reasons they made a ton of money and are quite successful, and I actually liked Blood the Last Vampire.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel