Why my sister thinks Harems would almost NEVER work

Topic started by Jinbeifan1 on July 30, 2011. Last post by hitsusatsu11 3 years ago.
Post by Jinbeifan1 (3,273 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Alright so last time i talked about how she didnt like One Piece, well now, after showing her a romantic harem(Clannad) she saids something that i actually agree with. Harems, in real life, would most likely not work. At first I asked why? Her annswer was that in real life, if a dudes only friends were girls(or mostly) they tend to turn gay., I always say that the girls are all attracted to the guy in the harem, well her answer to that was a lot of girls are attracted to gay guys, which is also true. so I thought about it and I tend to agree with this one, I mean there is an off chance it could work, but then again it ha a higher chance of failing. So what are yur thoughts on the matter? do you agree or disagree? 
Post by 1337W422102 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 5
"Turning gay" is the problem right there.  If someone's gay, they're gay.  Homosexuality isn't some dark side that folks need to be lured to.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@1337W422102: However, in the case of the harem itself, the girls might just go after one another, forgoing the male lead altogether and leaving him cold and alone once more.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,240 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Jinbeifan1:

Her annswer was that in real life, if a dudes only friends were girls(or mostly) they tend to turn gay

Turning gay isn't really a choice they would already been gay, and also the main harem guy usually like one of the girls

So you incorrect

Also, if he WERE to marry them all, what would the alimony payments be like if he were to divorce them all???
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
harems are just polygamy for kids
Post by Agent9149 (481 posts) See mini bio Level 11
harems are just stupid to me...i however did watch one harem wear the guy actually turned out to be gay it was funny
Post by AURON570 (565 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Harems exist in anime. Anime is fiction. Fiction is not real life. Therefore harems do not exist in real life. I feel like the argument should have ended there. 

But as already pointed out, your sister seems to think guys can "turn gay" by hanging out with lots of girls. It doesn't work that way.

@AURON570:

Harems does exist in real life, Kings in the old days have them (but not in the same way as anime show them)

Post by Sonata (35,337 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Destinyheroknight said:

@AURON570:

Harems does exist in real life, Kings in the old days have them (but not in the same way as anime show them)

Thats what I was thiinking a real-life Harem can happen if you got alot of cash.

Post by Agent9149 (481 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Sonata said:

@Destinyheroknight said:

@AURON570:

Thats what I was thiinking a real-life Harem can happen if you got alot of cash.

flavor of love
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,324 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Your sister is ignorant in terms of homosexuality, it isn't a choice or something you turn into.

@Agent9149:

flavor of love

The money is the only reason Flavor Flav have a Harem

Post by AURON570 (565 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Sonata said:

@Destinyheroknight said:

@AURON570:

Hmm I suppose. I guess we're left to question what qualifies as a harem and whether it is practical. I don't really think it's practical these days for either the girls or the guy, to many factors to consider. But I guess it's possible, even if it's just role playing or whatever. But then it still will never be like the ideal harems in anime obviously.

It just occurred to me that OP's sister said that harems would not work in real life because even if a bunch of girls liked a guy, the guy would either be gay or turn gay. But wouldn't this still be considered a harem even if the guy is gay? or even bisexual or a hermaphrodite? Or does the guy HAVE to be straight and/or fertile?

@AURON570:

It just occurred to me that OP's sister said that harems would not work in real life because even if a bunch of girls liked a guy, the guy would either be gay or turn gay. But wouldn't this still be considered a harem even if the guy is gay? or even bisexual or a hermaphrodite? Or does the guy HAVE to be straight and/or fertile?

What about reverse Harems?

@Destinyheroknight said:

@AURON570:

What about reverse Harems?

Read the first comment I made where they just start turning to each other for one reason or another... along with the divorce comment.

@Agent9149 said:

@Sonata said:

@Destinyheroknight said:

@AURON570:

flavor of love

Think a bit bigger.

Hugh has been rocking the harem for over 50 years now
Hugh has been rocking the harem for over 50 years now
@Sonata: He only does it for the tax write-offs...

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: The dude is old man Negi SpringfieldXD

@Sonata: Ain't NO WAY he's doing it for the mere sex of it all...
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel