Why I think romance often ruins a story.(Still in progress).

Topic started by ownagepants on April 10, 2014. Last post by ShinobiX 3 weeks ago.
Post by ownagepants (382 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Don't get me wrong I am not saying romance can not make for an interesting story but only when it is not a carbon copy of all romance stories ever for instance in history's strongest disciple they made such interesting characters and forced them into a dull romance the worst of this is when they try to make it seem like they won't end up together using methods only an idiot would fall for and this overall makes the story predictable as hell.And that is part of the main problem with romance in stories it makes the story too predictable and bland and worst of all is it makes the female characters seem annoyingly weak such as miu how many times has keinichi had to save her even though she could whoop him horribly .

Post by takashichea (13,104 posts) See mini bio Level 25

In war stories, romance is often featured. For anime examples, Valkyria Chronicles and Pilot's Love Song shows you that people remember their hard ships and the things they preserve is their love for their friends and families, any type of love. Can't remember the quote in Pilot's Love Song, but I'll stick in my comment when I find it.

@takashichea: Again not saying romance is stories bad if done right but in many otherwise interesting stories it just serves to make the ending predictable and the series overall boring.

Post by Vapovile (2,083 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Being unclear about what your romance your story wants to pursue can also ruin things, like in SAO. It was clear from the start that Kirito was going to be with Asuna, so why the heck did they need to make every other girl in the story fawn over Kirito as well? Plus his (but not anymore) sister was included! Romance done right is a welcome addition though, as it adds a little bit more weight to a situation that would otherwise would be devoid of emotion.

@ownagepants:

I didn't really answer your blog. I was merely stating a trend with anime and manga set in wartime.

I do agree that some series don't nail romance well if they don't get you attach to the characters and their hardships.

@Vapovile: Exactly not every grl in the series need to be in love with the main male lead ecspecially when it is clear who he is going to end up with.

@Vapovile: @ownagepants:

Exactly not every grl in the series need to be in love with the main male lead

Unless it's a harem series! I know you two are talking about SAO. SAO should have not done non platonic relationships.

@takashichea:

Even harem series can pull off romance if he gives them all a decent shot at him to make things interesting. If he is that close to one girl, then there is really no point to any of the other girls to even be there. That's how I see it anyway.

@Vapovile:

SAO had an ulterior motive. The author and his staff made a game where you can chase a route with a different girl. That's why the anime and light novel series had those routes. With the light novel series, you have room for flexibility to focus on each girl.

@takashichea: That works for a game but not so much for an anime or manga where you have no say in what happens.

@takashichea:

O gawd the Kirito x Klein shipping. And like Ownage said, that doesn't really work for anime because...well...the audience can't choose who he goes for. I mean, if they wanted to go that route that should have gone the standard harem way of not choosing any girl out of the 6(?) that were going after him. But nope, he got married to Asuna freaking 5 episodes in xD.

@ownagepants: @Vapovile:

That's the beauty of video games, my friends. Back to anime and manga, romance made SAO really shallow. All the girls are eye candy.

In your OP, I was surprised you said bad romance made women weak. Certainly that's for damsel in distress shows.

@Vapovile: The biggest example of a working harem is the world only god knows that can go either way at this point hell he could just end up with none of them and it would still make sense.Although another one was shuffle me and a lot of others that he would end up with the childhood best friend but that one threw us for a loop.

@takashichea: I am talking about in shows were the women are otherwise strong but for the sake of an unnecessary love scene are forced to become helpless females .This happens in some of my favorite series like sun ken rock yumin is probably one of the strongest characters in the series but they always try to make her a vulnerable and helpless as possible so ken has a reason to go save her.

@ownagepants:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't seen shows like those where the strong woman becomes the damsel in distress. If you like, I can recommend you this series, Witch Craft Works. It's a show that does a reverse trope of Damsel in Distress.

Post by taichokage (14,132 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Well Erza from Fairy Tail fits that description fairly well. She's the strongest of the main characters and often outdoes the main character but is sometimes in distress. Like the early arc with Jellal. Forgot the name. It was basically a rescue arc.

@taichokage:

No not Erza. Well, yeah, she became a damsel. Can't believe I forgot about her. Pretty much, Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail do that to their strong women. That was Tower of Heaven arc, after the Lucy's arc, the Phantom Guild arc.

The only exception is Toriko because Rin needs no saving from Toriko. Plus, it's unrequited love.

@takashichea: @taichokage:

Yeah most shows like to put their strong women in Damsal in Distress situations. Bleach had Rukia as the main driver of the Soul Society arc, and look how much ass she kicks now. Fairy Tail had Erza get beat by Jellal, One Piece had Luffy save Nami from Arlong, Naruto saves Sakura MANY times. Don't even get me started on DBZ.

@Vapovile:

Ichigo: I'm saving your ass whether you like it or not
Ichigo: I'm saving your ass whether you like it or not

There is no romance thing going on between Nami and Luffy. It's strictly Nakama level. Poor Erza is in love with Jellal, but she doesn't admit it. Ironically, she wants Gray to fess up to Juvia during Grand Magic Games Tournament.

You guys and gals remember my Which Shonen Series has the Most Damsels in Distress? project. That was a hell of fun. Some of them were romantic while others no or ambiguous.

Edit:

Forgot about Bleach. There is an argument between Ichigo and Rukia's relationship. Are they friends or are they in love?

Post by taichokage (14,132 posts) See mini bio Level 20
There are definite hints at it but they've never admitted it. I'd say Renji loves Rukia though.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel