Why do Asian girls love Doraemon so much?

Topic started by ronki23 on Sept. 28, 2013. Last post by UltimateHero0406 9 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by ronki23 (85 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I know a Filipino girl who likes Pikachu a lot and she's 23; she's an artist though.

I also know lots of girls like Hello Kitty, not just Asians. Hello Kitty is an international brand though.

I'm a 23 year old grad student in England and over 60% of my classmates are Chinese and the girls LOVE Doraemon. They don't even read manga/ very few watch anime but they love Doraemon/have plushies,etc. We don't even get Doraemon in the UK so I had to google 'Blue cat anime' or 'Japanese blue cat manga'

They don't even watch Dragonball/Naruto/One Piece and some have no clue about Tenchi Muyo (I have seen all of the Tenchi series revolving around Tenchi but only liked Universe and the Kagato saga of Muyo).

So why is Doraemon, a JAPANESE cartoon, so popular in China (last I checked most Chinese though they don't hate Japanese, they don't like them either)??

Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@ronki23:

Girls! Don't try to understand them. So I've been told...

Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Doraemon looks cute. /Thread.

@Acura_Max:So does Ryo Ohki and so do some Pokemon (though I stated one girl likes it)

Maybe it's because Pokemon is seen quite geeky today (in Western culture anyway). But no Ryo Ohki fans?

EDIT: I have quite a lot of Chinese friends who have a thing for cats. They treat them as members of the family and have an unnatural amount of photos of their pet cats on facebook. That and all Chinese and Japanese restaurants I visit have those waving cats.

But let's not evolve this into a cat thread until we find out why Doraemon's such a CHICK MAGNET!!

Post by takashichea (11,068 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Anime is a small niche in England as I learned from the UK interviews. It's not surprising that they haven't heard of popular shows. It's a common misconception that all anime fans watch or read popular anime shows/ manga series.

@takashichea:These Asian girls are mainly Chinese from mainland China

Online Now

@ronki23:

Yes, I know. I just pointing out that there is not much of opportunity to expand on anime in the UK for the Chinese students. I don't know about China's anime culture since I haven't interviewed anyone in the community who is from that country.

@takashichea:They'd still have more than enough 'cute' things to choose from in China as (from personal experience), anime there is as big as it is in USA. Taiwan even moreso.

Plus as they learned of it over in China and talk about it in the UK, they'd surely have other 'cute' anime but no, still Doraemon (only one girl liked Hello Kitty but 3-4 liked Doraemon ).

Oh yeah, HAMTARO is also pretty cute too. So that's already Hello Kitty,Pokemon,Hamtaro and Ryo Ohki yet they still choose Doraemon hmmm

P.S. Do you know about the Oriental cat culture? The common denominator between Chinese,Japanese,Taiwanese,Hong Kongers, Malaysians and Koreans is the Buddhism but Buddhists don't worship cats

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,068 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Post by Sonata (35,218 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Acura_Max said:

Doraemon looks cute. /Thread.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,030 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Guys like girls. Girls like cute stuff. What more is there to understand?

Post by Bigheart711 (3,705 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Doraemon's cuteness affects lots of people, especially girls.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,509 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Online Now

And some guys are Bronies!

@UltimateHero0406: but there are lots of other cute cartoon characters (Hamtaro, Ryo Ohki and Pokemon)

@DBZ_universe:A Chinese guy I know has pretty much nothing but female friends and he's a Doraemon fan too lol

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,030 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@ronki23: It all depends on what they are exposed to. Chances are that there favorite will be one that they grew up with. And then theres just general taste. If the girl is into cats and the color blue, of course they'll like someone who fullfills both fancies.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Doraemon is much more popular than you're giving it credit for! He's basically a Japanese cultural icon. You'll find more people that know Doraemon than people that know Naruto and such in Japan.

It's not unusual that people in China are very well aware of him as well. Plus there's a lot of merchandise potential with a cute mascot character.

Online Now

@Petiew said:

Doraemon is much more popular than you're giving it credit for! He's basically a Japanese cultural icon. You'll find more people that know Doraemon than people that know Naruto and such in Japan.

It's not unusual that people in China are very well aware of him as well. Plus there's a lot of merchandise potential with a cute mascot character.

If I had a thumbs up icon, this is the best answer.

Just wanted to add on:

I look up Doraemon. It's an old series that had 45 volumes or so and well beloved manga series for children and practically everyone. The mascot was considered as the Asian ambassador.

In 2002 the anime character was acclaimed as an "Asian Hero" in a special feature survey conducted by Time Asia magazine.

It's hard to compete with nostalgia for Doraemon compared to other shows. I don't live in the UK, but I assumed Doraemon wasn't much of a hit in the UK.

@ronki23:

P.S. Do you know about the Oriental cat culture? The common denominator between Chinese,Japanese,Taiwanese,Hong Kongers, Malaysians and Koreans is the Buddhism but Buddhists don't worship cats

You're wrong about a few parts. The Beckoning Cat originally came from Japan, and it was very popular and adopted by other cultures like the Chinese. In regards to Buddhism, it's true that Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism doesn't have a strong emphasis on cats in their lore. However, the Japanese Buddhists had lore about the cat in their shrine. They don't "worship the cat." The cat is just a good luck charm. Though, I could be confusing that branch of Buddhism with Shinto. Sometimes, Buddhists take part in Shinto rituals. I'm not that familiar with Buddhism in Japan as I am with Theravada, my former religion.

Sorry to derail this a bit. I couldn't help correcting you.

@takashichea: What are sites on the different types of Buddhism? When I went to China I visited the popular Buddha Temples e.g. Lama Temple, Temple of the Jade Buddha in Shanghai and the Temple with the largest Bronze Buddha in Asia. Most of them were theistic Buddhism and believed in Gods or Goddesses but Hindus too believe in Buddha.

Do you think Doraemon's age makes him so popular compared to other cute things

@UltimateHero0406:Assuming Pokemon's uncool

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel