Who was the greatest Anime Antagonist?

Topic started by EganTheVile1 on Sept. 15, 2011. Last post by DBZ_universe 2 years, 12 months ago.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Frieza (DBZ)
  • Cell (DBZ)
  • Megatron (Transformers)
  • Cobra Commander (GI Joe)
  • Knives Millions (Trigun)
  • Vicious (Cowbow Bebop)
  • Shredder (TMNT)
  • Aizen (Bleach)
  • Queen Berryl (Sailor Moon)
  • Team Rocket (Pokemon)
  • Violator (Spawn)
  • King Zarkon (Voltron)
  • Father (FMA)
  • Isley (Claymore)
  • The Loc-Nar (Heavy Metal)
  • Other (write response below)
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I cast my vote for Father, simple reason, it takes a certain kind of villain to unite the heroes and lesser villains as a unit against them.

Some of the characters I listed may be eyebrow raisers, but if you think back to the era, they were pretty big deals back then.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Aizen because he is the Greatest WORST anime antagonist ever...

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

WARNING: Some spoilers might be revealed below.

This is a pretty interesting question. “Greatest” is a little too subjective for me since I’m not sure how to define it. For example, is a villain greater because they kill more people? Is body count the primary criteria for the title? How about an antagonist’s ability to inflict pain and suffering? Maybe the authority they wield to enslave others and deny them their personal freedom is the most important qualifier? What about an evildoer’s mastery at corrupting a hero? Perhaps it all just comes down to the manipulation of others towards one’s own ends that define the greatest villains. Cruelty probably plays a factor as well.

I don’t find power focused villains to be all that compelling as characters. They’re fun in that they’re simple and easy to dislike, but they don’t fit my idea of true evil. Guys like Frieza, Queen Berryl and the Hasbro licensed baddies exist solely for the hero to shine. Cobra Commander could be easily replaced by a box of bran cereal for all the infamy he embodies. I’m not saying these people aren’t bad, just that their wickedness is uninspired and impersonal. I'm not completely convinced that evilness is a necessary characteristic for a villain anyway.

Rezo the Red Priest from The Slayers franchise is one of my favorite antagonists. He is a tragic figure in that his capacity to do good was befouled by his fanatical obsession with regaining his sight. To most of the world, he was a humanitarian but many of those altruistic deeds were deceptions toward that goal. Rezo learned how to heal blindness in others by using people as guinea pigs to cure himself. He saved a village from an epidemic by placing the population into suspended animation so that they could later be sacrificed in order to release the monster, Shabranigdu and return his sight. He transformed Zelgadis into a chimera to see if it could be done even though he didn’t have a way to turn him back. Rezo got good people to do bad things by hiding his true purpose.

Father from Fullmetal Alchemist is a good choice since he does many of the same things that Rezo does but on a grander scale. I kind of like The Millennium Earl from D Gray-Man, too since he uses the grief of people to subjugate the souls of their deceased loved ones and creates monsters. For comedic value, I don’t think you can disregard Inspector Zenigata from Lupin the III. He’s not evil but he is a persistent antagonist for the quartet of thieves.

Post by Dream (7,657 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Let's see:

1. Johan Liebert (Monster)- Whereas many of the villains above are either your cookie-cutter variety or around seemingly to look badass from having ridiculous abilities, Johan is a master of manipulation who psychologically manipulates and drives his foes to either follow his lead or kill themselves when he desires said person as a pawn for his plans or if they are a threat to him. Johan was able to nearly drive the population of a small town into killing themselves and had influential figures of authority under his influence at points throughout Monster.

2. Legato Bluesummers (Trigun)- One of the few anime baddies to succeed at driving the hero into a corner regarding his moral beliefs, in this case Vash and his pacifism.

3. The Count (Gankutsuou)- One of anime's best Magnificent Bastardswho created the image of a kind-hearted, wealthy nobleman yet was actually a cruel and manipulative man who took advantage of the kindness and wealth of others in his quest of revenge against three influential families who wrecked his life decades earlier because he was a threat to their status in society.

4. Light Yagami (Death Note)- One of the few cases I've seen in anime where the "hero" could be considered both the protagonist and antagonist of his series. His megalomania made him care less over who he manipulated and killed in his quest of creating an ideal society that his warped mind believes in, including those among his friends and family.

5. Griffith (Berserk)- A man whose desire for power was so great he sacrificed his former comrades in the Band of the Hawk to be fodder for demons, psychologically scarred his second-in-command Caska by brutally raping her and drove Guts into his merciless quest of revenge.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Misa Hayase because I am still on the Minmay ship after all these years. Haters shut your mouths!

@Dream: Is it weird I did not include Light, not because I am oblivious to DN, quite contrary it is a favorite, but because I dont really think of Light as a villain?

EDIT: I am actually surprised the Loc-Nar has not gotten a vote yet, it was The Sum of ALL evil... LOL

@PenguinDust: Obviously we cant go by kill rate, Cobra Commander, Light Yagami, or Knives Millions take that category (on CC if you were unaware the anime version nuked Moscow Russia)

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Turambar said:

Misa Hayase because I am still on the Minmay ship after all these years. Haters shut your mouths!

Ha-ha, I gotta agree provided we're talking about the original Macross series and not the retooled Robotech. For the latter, I go Lisa Hayes over Minmei. I detested her English dub, but enjoyed Mari Iijima's English in SDF Macross. Maybe because she also provided the voice for the character in the original Japanese. The accent was very cute and added an additional dimension (a super dimension, maybe?) to the role.

@EganTheVile1 said:

@PenguinDust: Obviously we cant go by kill rate, Cobra Commander... (on CC if you were unaware the anime version nuked Moscow Russia)

Yeah, the extent of my "Yo Joe" knowledge is the TV show from the 80's, a hand full of Marvel comics and a few episodes of the currently airing version. Wait a minute? Is the anime version G.I. Joe Resolute? I did see that on Cartoon Network a while back but I don't remember much about it other than the color palette was very subdued. It's on Netflix, I might go back and rewatch it at some point.

Post by Killer_of_trolls (1,563 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Anti-spiral(Gurren Lagaan)

Post by TheRedRose (1,645 posts) See mini bio Level 10

To be honest Aizen, he had everyone played including his own comrades and in the end he still lost.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,329 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@TheRedRose said:

To be honest Aizen, he had everyone played including his own comrades and in the end he still lost.

QFT

Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Post by Agent9149 (481 posts) See mini bio Level 11

i immediately thought vegeta but i guess you were going by villains

Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Agent9149 said:

i immediately thought vegeta but i guess you were going by villains

Yes... we were.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Dream said:

Let's see:

1. Johan Liebert (Monster)- Whereas many of the villains above are either your cookie-cutter variety or around seemingly to look badass from having ridiculous abilities, Johan is a master of manipulation who psychologically manipulates and drives his foes to either follow his lead or kill themselves when he desires said person as a pawn for his plans or if they are a threat to him. Johan was able to nearly drive the population of a small town into killing themselves and had influential figures of authority under his influence at points throughout Monster.

2. Legato Bluesummers (Trigun)- One of the few anime baddies to succeed at driving the hero into a corner regarding his moral beliefs, in this case Vash and his pacifism.

3. The Count (Gankutsuou)- One of anime's best Magnificent Bastardswho created the image of a kind-hearted, wealthy nobleman yet was actually a cruel and manipulative man who took advantage of the kindness and wealth of others in his quest of revenge against three influential families who wrecked his life decades earlier because he was a threat to their status in society.

4. Light Yagami (Death Note)- One of the few cases I've seen in anime where the "hero" could be considered both the protagonist and antagonist of his series. His megalomania made him care less over who he manipulated and killed in his quest of creating an ideal society that his warped mind believes in, including those among his friends and family.

5. Griffith (Berserk)- A man whose desire for power was so great he sacrificed his former comrades in the Band of the Hawk to be fodder for demons, psychologically scarred his second-in-command Caska by brutally raping her and drove Guts into his merciless quest of revenge.

I want to say The Count, but for whatever reason I can't define him as a villain. I mean, he is. He was. But I empathized with him so much. It's rare that a villain does that, and more common for an antihero. Liebert is a great answer as well.

@PenguinDust: Resolute CC was who I was referring to as the mass murderer version, though I suppose Sigma 6 CC could also be called the anime CC, probably more so since he was animated by Gonzo (though Toei animated the movie with the original Joe characters, and he appeared in Transformers, so I should have just said Resolute, lol)

Post by TheRedRose (1,645 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@MrASSH0LE
What?
Post by SuperperfectCell (528 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I was torn between Aizen and Megatron, but i wnet with Megatron

@SuperperfectCell said:

I was torn between Aizen and Megatron, but i wnet with Megatron

I could see that based on his current actions, he basically gloats over nearly killing a 12 year old nerd in the current show.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel