Who wants a Nintendo DSi?

Topic started by ethan on April 4, 2009. Last post by Bouke 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff

So the long wait for the Nintendo DSi is finally over and as of Sunday they will be available for sale in the US for $169.99.  From the reviews on the interwebs the DSi is going to do for portable gaming what the Wii did for game consoles, making things simple and fun.  Maybe that's too simplistic of a description.  But from what I understand the awesomeness that is the DSi is how it just lets you mess around with mucic and photos, basically applying fun casual games to normal stuff -- like taking a photo.

Gizmodo has a nice indepth look at the DSi here.  And here are some pics too, just click to enlarge.

Here's a couple key points I garnered from the Gizmodo article:
1. The screens are 17% bigger than the last DS
2. The console now boasts an ARM9E CPU clocked at 133 MHz (in place of the original ARM9/66MHz) and has 16 MB of RAM
3. Two cameras
4. Plays digital music
5. Opera web browser

Some blog reactions I've read are saying Apple needs to 'watch out' for competition coming from the DSi since it's a portable gaming device that has camera and plays music.  I dunno.  I think that's like comparing Apples to oranges.

What do you think?

Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I think Nintendo need to look more to the future then coming up with the same console with a few new gizmo's. Prehaps this is just a taster of what they have planned but why not just focus on making something new and fresh then trying to get more money for the same console with a bigger screen and some more camera's....
Post by Lunarmoth (193 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I just hoping this means the old DS will go down in price so I can buy one on the cheep.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Little_Sparrow said:
"I think Nintendo need to look more to the future then coming up with the same console with a few new gizmo's."
Gameboy anyone? ;) Just about how many Gameboy versions did Nintendo dish out? This is a pretty similar thing and I see nothing wrong with their strategy because people will buy it regardless (well that's what I predict anyway).

As for myself, I'm quite satisfied with my launch day DSlite that I'll just stick with it. There is nothing wrong with it so there's no need for the upgrade. I also don't need picture taking, web browsing, and music playing handheld. I already have my Blackberry and PSP for that.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
RedRoses said:
"As for myself, I'm quite satisfied with my launch day DSlite that I'll just stick with it. There is nothing wrong with it so there's no need for the upgrade. I also don't need picture taking, web browsing, and music playing handheld. I already have my Blackberry and PSP for that.
"
This and i wanna add that i have a R4 so music and movies are no problem for my DS o yeah and mine has a agenda toobeat that hah!
And now i`m saving for the even better M3 or at least wait till a new version comes out which will probably also work on the DSI ^^ I also have the nds browser and a camera that came with this weird Japanese facial feature training game that i imported a few weeks back but i never use it though i`m quite happy with my Canon EOS which is much better btw so no i`ll probably pass on this thing
and keep my old outdated one :)

Edit: OMG i didn't even notice that they moved the on/off button to the lower left of the lower screen 0_0 that`s a fail i always put the palm of my hand exactly on that spot when playing not a good place to put it IMO XD
Post by Champy (121 posts) See mini bio Level 6
the awnser is i have a ds lite so no. 
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
New features are useless to me so if I need to get a new DS I'll just get another Lite.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Could have linked to Giantbomb's Unboxing/intro video :p.

I think I'm okay, perhaps when there's enough interesting software that I can't get elsewhere. That's how I know it's time to get a console or not.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 6
GETTING IN 45 MINUTES HARBL
Post by transgojobot (122 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I don't own either a DSLite, Fat or Advance. But the DSi has a bunch of things I don't want or need; I have a camera to do the camera things and and iPod to do the noisy things.

I'm going to wait and see how much support Nintendo gives their new handheld. I go where the games are and right now that has me leaning to the Lite.
Post by Agent_Lost (1,124 posts) See mini bio Level 10
yep, I get myself a DSi but not right now.
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I'm fine with my DS Lite, and I'd prefer people stop trying to convince me to get a DSi. I only have so much money to spend on this stuff. :(
Post by DJTyrant (118 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Yeah I traded in for my DSi, I really like it so far.

What they were talking about it being a threat to Apple is the new DSi Ware store because there will be a ton of developers flocking to it to develop cheap games for.
Post by Bouke (16 posts) See mini bio Level 2

The DSi does not have a cartridge slot for playing older GBA games, right? Other features look nice! Still i think the iPhone has a good change of beating the DS/DSi as a gaming platform since its also a phone, there for you always have it with you... but i´m sure this will be a huge succes aswell! I´m not sold yet, its just to expansive. Also my PSP has been gathering dust for some time now and i don´t need another system i don´t play games on.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel