Which should I give a chance and sit through?(and why)

Topic started by justanormalguy on Dec. 30, 2011. Last post by AURON570 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Naruto
Post by JonSmith (185 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I put forward a vote for One Piece. While debatably Naruto is more widely known and loved, (mostly due to that godforsaken 4kids dub of One Piece), and admittedly, Naruto typically has slick combat, decent characters, and a pretty good storyline, Naruto is the only character to have really gained growth over the course of the series. The other characters are obviously side characters, and don't have anywhere near the same level of development as Naruto. This is fine, since Naruto is the protagonist, but compared to One Piece, all the members of the Straw Hats have equal character development, they all have their own back stories and reasons for joining the Straw Hats, each of which have an entire arc to develop these. Compare, say, Zoro to... Sakura.

Prior to joining Luffy's crew, Zoro was a brat who wanted to become a great swordsman. Joining a kendo school, he became rivals with a female swordswoman named Kuina. After 2001 consecutive losses, Kuina revealed that she believed one day Zoro would beat her because he was a man, and thus would get stronger as he grew older, while she wouldn't. After that, they both swore to one day become the world's greatest swordsman. Shortly thereafter, Kuina died, and each time Zoro is on the edge of defeat, he draws upon her memory to drag himself up from the dirt.

Conversely... Sakura. She... used to like Sasuke? Had a crush on him? Oh, and used to be bullied about her forehead.

Each of Luffy's crew has something they are on his crew to do, Zoro wants to be the world's greatest swordsman, Sanji wants to find the All Blue, Nami wants to chart the entire world, etc. While some Naruto characters have revealed a desire called their 'Ninja Way', such as Rock Lee wanting to become a great shinobi despite his inability to use jutsu, none of them have a real desire to do something to the degree that the Straw Hats do. And because we know what drives the Straw Hats, WHY they're doing what they're doing, we are more emotionally connected to them, and have even more reason to root for them.

Oh, right. Bleach is in this poll too.

Bleach... Bleach... Bleach... Where do I get started on Bleach? Okay... hmm... Okay, I've got it. Bleach has really great animation for the anime, easily rivaling the usually ridiculously high quality of anime movies. The battles are pretty incredible, and the constant back and forth will have you gripping your seat with no small amount of tension. Which is usually dispersed rather quickly at the end with Ichigo suddenly winning out of nowhere when it had appeared he'd been soundly defeated. While the Straw Hats are usually beaten within an inch of their lives in their battles, and have to use every ounce of spit and blood in them to pull out a win, a battle in Bleach usually works like this:

The two characters begin fighting each other. The enemy reveals everything about their own abilities. The good guy (or girl) analyzes for weaknesses, believes they've found one, and hits it. Enemy powers up to second level, and begins soundly beating the good guy. Good guy gets to the edge of defeat, and reveals it's either been an elaborate set up, or suddenly develops a new power or gets a reason to stop holding back aside from, y'know, saving their own lives. Good guy immediately wins.

I'm not saying their aren't exceptions, but that's the general formula. Conversely, fights in One Piece can really go either way, the Straw Hats have had their fair share of losses. The only real loss I can think up for Ichigo off the top of my head was versus Byakuya the first time. Oh, and Aizen. On the other hand for the Straw Hats, we have both of Luffy's encounters with Smoker, Luffy's first encounter with Crocodile, Zoro's first encounter with Mihawk, the entire Straw Hats first encounter with Oars, Zoro's first encounter with Kuma, Luffy's first encounter with Magellan, the entire Straw Hat crews encounter with Kuma and Kizaru, to name a few.

Not to mention the different worlds. Naruto exists in a rather interesting world of shinobi, where the governing force and military are all ninja, and with the exception of medical facilities and occasional communication equipment, appearing to exist in the feudal era. Bleach exists in the modern day world, while occasionally visiting other realms such as the infinite desert known as Hueco Mundo, or the massive afterlife city known as Soul Society. And then we have One Piece, which exists in a world of pirates and Marines, which is filled with incredible creatures and incredibly odd people. Once again using the Straw Hat crew as comparison, you have a green haired swordsman, a cycloptic chef, a money obsessed weather manipulating cat burglar, a long nosed liar, a doctor deer, a multilimbed archaeologist, a blue haired speedo wearing cyborg shipwright, and an afro skeleton musician. Oh, and Luffy, the man made of rubber.

Their competition is Naruto, an orange wearing, 'believe it', spouting, ninja.

And Ichigo, an orange haired, half-death god.

Please don't misconstrue my arguments against Naruto and Bleach as me saying that they're bad or anything, if you have the time, check them out as well. Bleach had a time-skip recently, so it's pretty easy to get into it if you want, and like I said, the animation is slick, and there are some occasional funny moments. Naruto as well. Just in my opinion, if you have to choose one of the three, pick One Piece. They also had a time-skip recently, so still easy to get into, and I think you'll find it a lot funnier, a lot more often than the other two.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I gave my vote to Bleach. Of the three, it's the one that's held my attention the most. It has great characters, fantastic production values and the characters have cool, unique abilities. Unfortunately it falls into lots of the same traps that Dragon Ball Z does, with the main problem being that the characters (ESPECIALLY Ichigo) are constantly "levelling up" and at times it seems a little ridiculous. My only other major problem with it is that it has a bad tendency to introduce large groups of characters, have them involved for a season and then forget they ever existed and move on to the next lot. It would do better to go back to older characters and focus on them more. It gets surprisingly interesting when it dives into the past too. We're all still waiting to learn more about Ichigo's dad, he has a very mysterious past.

Oh, and completely avoid the Bount arc (first filler arc). Bleach actually has some great filler material, but also in this case some of the worst. Avoid the Bount arc like the damn plague. It's thankfully completely skipable as you won't miss anything important.

Naruto is great, but I haven't been drawn to it like I have to Bleach. I read the manga for a while but haven't gone back to it, I'm actually planning on starting the anime from the beginning soon instead of resuming the manga.

It's a shame Fairy Tail isn't on this list, I'd probably pick that. I think it avoids the problems Bleach has and is also more light-hearted and funny. Unfortunately though it isn't as strong visually, though it's much better now than it was in the beginning. I think Fairy Tail has a more interesting, fantastical world than Bleach or Naruto as well.

I've never been interested in One Piece.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I say One Piece. Never got that interested into Naruto for some reason.

I would have voted for Bleach seeing as it was the best of the three when it started out but I felt it lost everything that made it good after the Soul Society arc.

Post by sickVisionz (4,238 posts) See mini bio Level 24

For anime, Bleach or Naruto. They get good quicker. One Piece drags arcs on forever like DBZ imo. I don't think the story is any better or worse than Naruto (it might be a little better than Bleach) but the pacing kills it for me. Additionally, the animation doesn't deliver until episode 400+ meanwhile Naruto and Bleach start delivering quality animation in their 20s or 30s. A lot of people try to say that it's because the show started in like 1997, but I call it a crock to say that good animation hadn't yet been invented in 1997. Especially considering that stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star came out in 1997 and aren't lazily thrown together from a technical standpoint and you have stuff like Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon that have way better animation that came out many years before.

For manga, probably Naruto or One Piece. I've never read One Piece but it's hard for me to picture it being worse than Bleach, which is pretty terrible on a regular basis.

Post by taichokage (12,669 posts) See mini bio Level 20
My personal favorite is One Piece but you might like the others more. If you like fast paced anime with powerful characters and lots of destructive battles, Bleach is the one. The characters are strong (the strongest of the three) and upgrade constantly. But the story and battle results are predictable and virtually no protagonists ever die. The only arc I liked as fas as story goes is th first one (soul society arc.). Naruto is a moderately paced anime with good fights, but they are more strategic than bleach battles because the characters are "made of glass" ( in other words they have low durability compared to the other two and can't usually afford to just blast away or tank a good amount of damage with only a few exceptions. But the characters are powerful and the story in Naruto is better than Bleach. It is also almost two years older than bleach and currently has well over 400 episodes in contrast to bleach which is in the mid 300s. One Piece is the longest running of the three with over 500 episodes currently. The story is the best of the three but it is slower paced than either Bleach or Naruto. I'd say they have the second most powerful characters after bleach in general and the battles are like a mix of Bleach and Naruto. More wild and careless than Naruto, yet more strategic than Bleach. More important characters die in One Piece and the progression of the characters is more realistic. But at the same time it has the most humor. I'd recommend any of them, but my vote goes to One Piece.
Post by LuffyDUzumaki (161 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Honestly they're all worth watching they have there fair share of ups and downs like other manga they're not Godlike or Untouchable as some might say but they have a certain charm to them. Bleach you might instantly like because it gets straight to the point you might like Naruto around the Zabura arc. One Piece depending on your taste might take you a while to get into, I know people that got in through the Arlong Arc or Arabasta Arc and most through the CP9 and Marine Ford arcs. So good luck.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,184 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sickVisionz:

A lot of people try to say that it's because the show started in like 1997

A lot of people is wrong then since One Piece anime started in 1999 (1997 is when the manga came out), but One Piece manga is better then the anime (it the weakest out of the HST in anime)

If you looking for action, Bleach anime is for you

If you looking for action and story, Naruto anime and manga is for you

If you looking for adventure and a fun story, then One Piece manga is for you

Post by AURON570 (552 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I would recommend One Piece. It has amazing storytelling, a great sense of adventure and interesting characters. I was in a similar position as you last year. I wrote a blog last summer as I was getting into One Piece, you may find it interesting.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Easily One Piece. It's a little slow in the beginning and the art style sometimes puts people off, but is has the best stories with the least amount of filler. And, even when it has filler, that filler is entertaining. It's huge, so it can take weeks to catch up, but it's well worth the effort.

Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

The thing about One Piece that turns me off the most, is primarily three things.

1. The art style is terrible.

2. Stupid characters, like elephant men and deer pirates.

3. The plot is ridiculously slow and stupid. For 500 episodes, they are on the ocean, searching for the One Piece, which they don't even know where the hell it is. And to try and put in excitement, they throw in pirates, who also don't know where the hell the One Piece is, and it's just a circular story with no sense of direction. On the ocean forever, fighting pirates who also don't know where One Piece is, and it's around and around and around. And it's probably gonna be like that for another 500 episodes and counting.

I'm surprised most people said One Piece, because in my opinion, it looks like the dumbest of the three.

The best sounding one is probably Naruto, which has a sense of direction, especially now with Tobi and Kabuto rising everyone from the dead, etc.

Tite Kubo.... well who the hell knows what's next with Bleach. Sounds interesting..... until they kill Aizen. Then it goes downhill. Kubo.... wake up!

@justanormalguy:

1. The art style is terrible.

The art style is great

2. Stupid characters, like elephant men and deer pirates.

There no elephant men in the series and there also no deer pirates

3. The plot is ridiculously slow and stupid. For 500 episodes, they are on the ocean, searching for the One Piece, which they don't even know where the hell it is. And to try and put in excitement, they throw in pirates, who also don't know where the hell the One Piece is, and it's just a circular story with no sense of direction. On the ocean forever, fighting pirates who also don't know where One Piece is, and it's around and around and around. And it's probably gonna be like that for another 500 episodes and counting.

They do know where One Piece is, it just hard to get it (also all the pirates they face are not after One Piece) It an adventure show, it support to be like that

I'm surprised most people said One Piece, because in my opinion, it looks like the dumbest of the three.

You didn't say what you looking for, you just make a list (we are not mind readers)

So you bash a series without knowing nothing about it, you shouldn't put it on your list in the first place

So let's see what I got from your post.

1. You are getting fanboy mad because I don't find One Piece even remotely interesting. The art style is terrible, and yes there are elephant men and deer pirates. Are you blind? There's some of the dumbest and mickey mouse-looking creatures in the manga.

2. I do research on the anime, hence why I can give my opinion on them. Does asking other people for their opinions mean I don't know what I am talking about? How does that make any sense?

3. Supposedly(keyword that it says there) the One Piece is there. How is that definite? That's like saying supposedly the world will end in 2012, but we don't know for sure. Still going ahead blindly, just like One Piece characters.

And when it comes down to it, it's all personal opinion. Because you say the art style is good, doesn't make it so. Neither does it when I say it's terrible. So I don't know why you are getting mad when I give my opinion on the series. I want to get people's thoughts(opinions) on the series, and I should have the freedom to give my own in return.

@justanormalguy:

1. You are getting fanboy mad because I don't find One Piece even remotely interesting. The art style is terrible, and yes there are elephant men and deer pirates. Are you blind? There's some of the dumbest and mickey mouse-looking creatures in the manga.

1. I'm not a fanboy, I really don't care if you like it or not. It just you put it on list without saying what you like or dislike and then bash it without nothing (there no elephant men in it or deer pirates)

only thing that come close is Chopper and Funkfreed which there only one reindeer pirate and the elephant is a sword, also Oda was going for the mickey mouse style (I really like it, it different from most manga out there)

2. I do research on the anime, hence why I can give my opinion on them. Does asking other people for their opinions mean I don't know what I am talking about? How does that make any sense?

It look like you didn't do your research on it

3. Supposedly(keyword that it says there) the One Piece is there. How is that definite? That's like saying supposedly the world will end in 2012, but we don't know for sure. Still going ahead blindly, just like One Piece characters.

They already say it is real and it probably at the island (It about the adventure)

And when it comes down to it, it's all personal opinion. Because you say the art style is good, doesn't make it so. Neither does it when I say it's terrible. So I don't know why you are getting mad when I give my opinion on the series. I want to get people's thoughts(opinions) on the series, and I should have the freedom to give my own in return.

I not mad, if I was you'll know

I was correcting you (the first part I wasn't)

The strong way you are trying to defend the series either implies you are mad or you are a fanboy. It's typical reactions from a mad fan or a fanboy. If you aren't one, then don't give responses like -

It look like you didn't do your research on it

and

I was correcting you (the first part I wasn't)

There's a reason you tried to correct me, because you didn't like something that I said. Why would you care if you weren't a fanboy? And even so, you're correcting an opinion of mine. I find the elephant people stupid, and the characters are too mickey-mouse.

and, keyword in one of your replies(think about that word carefully)

They already say it is real and it probably at the island (It about the adventure)

I can freely give my opinion if I find something uninteresting. Just like I feel Naruto whines too much about Sasuke, Tite Kubo doesn't know what he's doing to Bleach(the fans are hating Bleach's direction now), and One Piece has a circular story running on "probably". You think all 3 are perfect? Lol. You gonna try and correct me now that I said Naruto whines too much? Lol. Because clearly he does.

@justanormalguy:

The strong way you are trying to defend the series either implies you are mad or you are a fanboy. It's typical reactions from a mad fan or a fanboy. If you aren't one, then don't give responses like -

Well, you keep saying there are elephant men in the series (but there like no elephant men what so ever) If you was talking about Usopp, just say his name or call him long nose

One Piece has a circular story running on "probably"

That the point of an adventure story, the characters even said it

Naruto whines

He only whines once in a while, he get better over time

Elephant people, lizard people, whatever the hell. Does it really matter? I thought it looked like an elephant. Still, I have evidence of other dumb looking characters, like some tiger thing and midget deer thing and some ram thing. It's really out there, and it seems mickey-mouse childish.

and

......Naruto doesn't run on probably, and has an adventure for the reader..... and still whines.....

@justanormalguy:

That a color page, it not a part of the story at all

This type of cover page was the first to be introduced. They depict one or several Straw Hats members in a fantasy scene. For most of them they show the crew member along with animals since Oda claims he likes drawing them.
like some tiger thing and midget deer thing and some ram thing. It's really out there, and it seems mickey-mouse childish.

Like I said earlier, that the point and what happen to your research? Since some of the characters you said are main characters and there name should pop up when you did your research

Naruto doesn't run on probably, and has an adventure for the reader..... and still whines

It does run on probably, Naruto being Hokage, Sasuke coming back to the village and Kurama thing

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Well, I am a "fanboy" of One Piece, but if that's not your thing, then it's not your thing. Time to move on. Newten mentioned Fairy Tail, which is a good alternative since it has fewer nonsensical characters but the art style is reminiscent to OP and there is a cute flying cat that talks. I like the show a lot but you'll have to see for yourself.

Another alternative to the ones listed in the poll is Gintama. It has a more traditional art style, no talking animals, and it's very quickly paced. Most stories only last a single episode but some arcs can last a dozen or so. There's 240-some-odd episodes out now, so take a look.

Now, I like Naruto Shippuden more than the original series, so if that winds up being your choice, then it's a good one in my opinion. There's still a lot of filler in both runs though, so be aware of that.

Post by sickVisionz (4,238 posts) See mini bio Level 24

If you're gonna watch something I'd always go for One Piece > Fairy Tail on principal alone. Original over blatant and shameless knock off.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel