Which is the Better Franchise? Transformers or Gundams

Topic started by takashichea on July 24, 2014. Last post by EVA_01 1 month ago.
Post by takashichea (12,292 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I notice a lot of new users are asking random questions in our site. (I'm looking at Alpha, Ownagepants, Saiyanprincevegetall) Here is me joining them.

Which franchise is better? Story-wise, characters, music, animation, etc. Go all out!

I checked for dupes. All I got was a battle thread:

Post by Dream (7,617 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Quality wise- Gundam franchise by a mile. The Transformers animated and comic adaptations have always been about selling any of the toy lines for each generation of the series since the 1980s, thus there are many instances where effort at a unique and quality title wasn't high on the priority list of the toy line's creators. The only notable title in the franchise that made a genuine effort at a worthwhile story from my recollection was Beast Wars. I could name more titles from the Gundam franchise (many from the Universal Century continuity) that told worthwhile stories and had memorable moments, while at the same time being milked for merchandise.

Popularity- Transformers, regrettably. The franchise and toy line has been a memorable presence for many Americans for decades from the 1980s cartoon to the recent Michael Bay-directed movie franchise. Efforts at trying to sell Gundam merchandise in the states on the heels of Gundam Wing's popularity via Toonami have been underwhelming in comparison, as the franchise doesn't have as much appeal to the American mainstream.

Beast Wars was my first series to get into the Transformer series in the late 90's or so. I think it was on Kids WB or Fox 11. Compared to the Transformers Armada and one new series on HUB channel, it was probably the best in story and character. I try not to use nostalgia. Dinobot's character and a bunch of other characters drove the story a bit further. Dinobot reminds me of Starscream of Armada.

For Gundam, I got into it by Gundam Wing. The last Gundam series I saw was Gundam G. Domon Kasshu's scene was more memorable and vivid than Gundam Wing for me. I have to rewatch both series one day. Gundam Wing was more serious while Gundam G was lighter but packed in a lot of GAR in it.

• Story - Gundam > Transformers. Beast Wars felt episodic to me for some reason. I can't remember how the plot progressed in Beast Wars. It felt nonlinear compared to Gundam G and Wing.
  • Characters - ? Depends on the series. I didn't watch a lot. Each series had a good character development for me.
  • Animation - Tied. The CG in Beast Wars was good for its time. It still makes newer CG shows jealous a bit. Gundam Wing and G were old series, but as a kid, I didn't pay much attention to animation.
  • Music - Gundam G's music is more vivid than Beast Wars because Domon's scenes were visceral to me. His burning finger scene is just damn. I only remember Beast Wars' OP song. For Gundam Wing, I'm drawing a blank.

@Dream:

Nice comparison, Dream! You know more about the industry than me.

It's a shame Transformers does better in sales and popularity in the states. Don't know about Japan and other countries. I love both franchises. Would love to see a live adaptation of Gundam someday.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,228 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@Dream said:

Quality wise- Gundam franchise by a mile. The Transformers animated and comic adaptations have always been about selling any of the toy lines for each generation of the series since the 1980s, thus there are many instances where effort at a unique and quality title wasn't high on the priority list of the toy line's creators. The only notable title in the franchise that made a genuine effort at a worthwhile story from my recollection was Beast Wars. I could name more titles from the Gundam franchise (many from the Universal Century continuity) that told worthwhile stories and had memorable moments, while at the same time being milked for merchandise.

Popularity- Transformers, regrettably. The franchise and toy line has been a memorable presence for many Americans for decades from the 1980s cartoon to the recent Michael Bay-directed movie franchise. Efforts at trying to sell Gundam merchandise in the states on the heels of Gundam Wing's popularity via Toonami have been underwhelming in comparison, as the franchise doesn't have as much appeal to the American mainstream.

This

Post by Dream (7,617 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: Beast Wars was aired in syndication, meaning local channels would have picked it up. In my case, my local Fox channel used to air the series in the 1990s.

@Dream:

I see.

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,943 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Personally, I prefer the Gundam franchise. Each of the different stories are unique and have a fresh atmosphere. Also I love how dark the series is in terms of the plot.

Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I like Gundam more. It's more up my alley given that I'm not 8-years-old anymore. Comparing the two imo is like comparing GI Joe to Apocalypse Now or Platoon. They're similar at a base level but aimed at completely different markets.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,185 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I am not sure but sure dream has some points but things like these are usually opinions so it should be treated as such . Both series are good and bad regardless of what the fans think

Post by Whats_out_the_bag (1,411 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I think Gundam is the overall better franchise. They have better characters who I feel that I could relate to. As well as really amazing stories that are enjoyable.

@SMXLR8 said:

I am not sure but sure dream has some points but things like these are usually opinions so it should be treated as such . Both series are good and bad regardless of what the fans think

Awkward phrasing to say the least. Yes, it depends on the fans' preferences. That's the purpose of an open ended question. There is no right or wrong answer.

Post by Saladking (912 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Online Now

All I know is that Transformers action figures were the **** when I was a kid

Post by EVA_01 (144 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Why Would You Even Compare Transformers To The Grandpa Of Real Robots? The only thing TF got going for it is it's popular toy-line and movies. Story? Gundam [Especially if this is UC] Characters? Gundam [Char, Amuro, Every Char Clone, Kamille, Haman Karn, etc.] (Name one TF character that is actually Well Developed and fleshed out) Cultural Impact? Gundam By So Soooooooo Far [Like I said Grandpa of Real Robots. An Actual Gundam Robot is currently being made in japan.] Popularity? Can't Call on this one. Robots? We all know it's Gundam.

@EVA_01:

There is no harm in asking an open ended question while trying to help the trend of random questions which were led by new users. I pick these two series because most folks have watched them.

As for a Transformer character, I would argue Dinobot of Beast Wars or Starscream of Armada had character evolution. Both started out as bad characters, but they eventually sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

@takashichea: Sorry If you think I was lashing out taka. (fanboy moments. even I have them. And I'm a colossal Universal Century Gundam Fan)

I simply don't see how these two are comparable.

And as for the Dinobot and Starscream, come on man, Villain-turned-good were there since the days of tetsujin 28-go. they're nothing new. not saying they're bad, it's just they're nothing notable.

@EVA_01:

No worries, you are a better mech expert than me. I only seen 2 Gundam series and 2 Transformer series. I said those two because Dinobot and Starscream were the strongest memory I had for Transformers. Most Transformers I remember in Beast Wars and Armada were static characters. Those two were dynamic.

Feel free to start up questions about mech if you like or blogs on mech themes.

@takashichea: Better mech expert? no need to be so humble taka.

and I can relate to the dinobots and Starscream being the most memorable TF characters.

Oh and yeah, I'd like to start a few mecha themed threads once I get some free time; been really busy at work.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel