Which Do You Prefer? Male Lead Characters or Female Leads?

Topic started by Superevil225 on Dec. 26, 2011. Last post by MrASSH0LE 2 years, 9 months ago.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Female
  • Male
  • Doesn't matter
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Personally I like male characters. Females are much harder to create well and a lot of writers can't seem to get that gender right. As well, the female stereotypes in anime and manga piss me off. Males are better lead characters simply because people make them better because it's easier to create a good male character that doesn't come off as a bitch, slut, or other misogynistic term.

But, I do find that female characters make better villains. Something about a woman makes me think 'evil witch' more than a man does. Woman seem more like ones to make better plots because of the way they use both right and left sides of their brain more than males.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Superevil225:

I voted male. And I was totally thinking about having this as my next topic for Sotyfan16 Says!! Now I can't use it for a while! :'(

I agree with your analysis though on how male leads are better. Also, shows with female leads tend to be slice-of-life and those shows tend to bore me.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,176 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I noticed a while back that I can't watch a female lead. I just loose interest. Maybe because I am a male myself. There are the odd occasions. I just can't think of any.

Post by Sonata (35,514 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Back in the day I would choose Doesnt matter. There were pretty cool lead female like Cutey Honey, Mylene Hoffman, The Bubblegum Crisis Girls, and the Original Dirty Pair that I got into. Now I mostly get into male leads, the female lead has been hit or miss the last decade, with alot of misses.
Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I voted doesn't matter. The most important thing for me is that they be well executed lead characters, regardless of sex.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,096 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

It doesn't matter for me either. The lead character should be well-executed for the story as well as the concept of the series.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,337 posts) See mini bio Level 21

It doesn't matter

Post by takashichea (13,174 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I voted for "doesn't matter" like the rest. 3 hours ago, the male choice was in the lead. I guess gender roles are being eroded as we people learn to respect each other. At least anime is doing better than Disney films' heroines and heroes.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Doesn't matter. I've seen that in anime, unlike video games, there's a nice mix of both genders usually in every show. Most of what I watch has an element of romance, so that means there's going to be both sexes represented (I haven't seen too many same-sex series as of yet).

Right now I am watching Yawara A Fashionable Judo Girl which is a sports anime with some comedy and romance mixed in. Obviously, the heroine is female but the men are not under represented either with a young sports reporter in tow and a rival's coach pursuing the girl. Before that, I watched Cross Game which is a baseball anime with a parallel romantic-comedy plot. The male lead and female lead certainly got equal time on and off the baseball diamond, so again there was enough for whatever your tastes.

I don't by the assertion that female leads are harder to write. It is easier to fall into exploitive stereotypes, but that doesn't necessarily lead to a less entertaining character. We see a lot more sexy girls these days, and therefore assume that makes them pandering and poorly constructed characters. However, if you look at the broad wealth of female characters in anime, there are many who are equally captivating as any male lead. For example, pianist Megumi Noda from Nodame Cantabile, Amu Hinamori from Shugo Chara, and Yukino Miyazawa of His and Her Circumstances are all deeply layered girls who offer some beyond their appearance.

Post by taichokage (14,189 posts) See mini bio Level 20
It depends. Depending on the theme of the anime, either a male or female can be better. I find that most often I prefer the lead male but that's partly because there are more lead male characters in the genres I prefer.
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

It doesn't really matter to me as long as the character is enjoyable.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@sickVisionz said:

I voted doesn't matter. The most important thing for me is that they be well executed lead characters, regardless of sex.

Having watched You and Me, I think I prefer male characters for semi-realistic slice of life shows where the writers plan for you to relate to the leads. I can identify with them more which makes me enjoy the series more. For everything else that isn't trying to tap into parts of my past nostalgia (ie how You and Me is about high school life) it's whatever.

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Male lead... Something about female leads in my prefer genre just doesn't hit me right. I couldn't bare to watch Queen's Blade and the likes. But I don't mind multiple leads with BOTH genders!

Post by Dream (7,902 posts) See mini bio Level 21
As long as said lead character isn't a complete scumbag or a doormat for abuse from other characters, then I could care less about what gender they are.
Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I just want leads that have inner monologues while being voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.  The gender of the character he VAs for would not matter.

This comment is only half joking.
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
It doesn't matter to me. That being said, most of the manga I read have led male characters
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,330 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Male because I guess I identify to it more however a female lead doesn't bother me as long as she isn't moralistic"Oh,you shouldn't objectify women like that!" or a prude.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel