When did you really get into Anime/Manga

Topic started by ownagepants on Feb. 2, 2014. Last post by taichokage 6 months, 4 weeks ago.
Post by ownagepants (380 posts) See mini bio Level 10

For me it is when i read my very first manga at barnes and noble called beet the vandel buster which is still one of my favorite manga (you may not have heard about it not sure how big it was ).And from their i decided to read more manga although i read whichever ones had a funny looking name which lead to me reading my all time favorite manga gintama and when i found out their was an anime for it i dove right in and from their i just kind of branched out into a large number of series berserk , toriko ,gantz ,katakeyo hitman reborn,etc.

So what about you?

Post by MarioRedfield (1,743 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I guess with the whole DBZ/Poke/Digimon phase.

Post by Dream (7,504 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Around 2002. Was whoring any anime I could snag up via Toonami, Adult Swim and Showtime.

Post by takashichea (11,981 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Only had cable for year in middle school around 2004 for anime. It was during the Toonami and Tech TV anime era with Dragon Ball Z and Serial Experiment Lain. I got into manga in 2010 when I discover anime came from manga for the first time. 2010 was my serious year for anime and manga exploration since I started out in Anime Vice during that year. Yeah, I was a closet nerd.

Post by ImDictatorBowDown (1,784 posts) See mini bio Level 12

When I was a 7 year old and I rented DragonBall Z: the Legendary Super Saiyan on VHS for the first time, so about 2003.

Post by taichokage (13,026 posts) See mini bio Level 20
2006 I believe. I had seen a few episodes of DBZ when I was really young, and before that I had seen a couple dozen episodes of Hokuto no ken and the anime movie Dagger of Kamui, previously called Blade of Kamui. But in 2006 I watched a rented volume of bleach. I remember which one. It was from the first episode of the SS invasion when they were in Rukongai and met with Ganju and Kukaku. Simultaneously I watched the first half of an anime called Shura no Toki. I liked both and shortly after got hooked. That was followed by Naruto, which I had actually seen one episode of in 2005 even before Bleach. Then I watched DBZ all the way through then Inuyasha and 2003 FMA and it took off from there. Other series I had seen in the earier stages, mostly in 2009-2010 are HXH, Death Note and D. Gray Man. I didn't find out about manga connection to anime until 2009 if I recall correctly.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,822 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I was also part of the Pokemon craze back then (I even carried a talking Pikachu toy everywhere back then until it wouldn't work anymore due to its use), but at July 2006 was when I really got into anime a short time after me and my family went homeless for a month straight. I was going through depression and stumbled upon a few shoujo titles and a horror series (Vampire Princess Miyu) in an on-demand service. Since then, my depression was cured due to the themes of some titles (Super Gals!, Chobits, and Red Garden to name a few) and I became and anime and manga fan ever since. I went here in 2009 after hearing about this place on ANN through their podcast and after hanging around between every (SFW) place I knew back then and here, I feel that I'm still an anime fan through and through because the stuff actually cured my depression when I was on the brink of watching real gloomy soap operas.

Wow. You got into anime and joined vice around the same time as me. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. 2010 was my worst year ever. Some depressing stuff but i never watched more anime than that year. I was surprised but it really got to me on a personal level. I'm more light-hearted about it now but for a while it was the only thing I enjoyed doing.

@ImDictatorBowDown: did the math we are the same age.

Post by jerfro23 (146 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The first time toonami aired in 1997 i believe. when moltar was the host before tom and got into manga in 2010 with one piece

@ownagepants: I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of the site was

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,248 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Around 1992, my brother got me into it with his import Anime that was in Japanese, he show me Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2. But the first English dub anime I watch was probably Samurai Pizza Cats (I think) or Superbook (............I really hope that wasn't the first). But, he stop showing me the Anime, Slayers was the Anime I found by myself (so I'll go with it)

Post by Dream (7,504 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Destinyheroknight:

Superbook

Ha, ha. I remember seeing that on some random religious channel I channel-surfed through when I was a kid.

Post by IndridCold (1,223 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I first started with DBZ, Yugioh, Yu Yu Hakusho, and then I eventually went to watch toonami and adult swim. I basically would watch Naruto, Bleach, Bobobo-bobobobo, Death Note, etc. After that, anything else and eventually, I got into manga with Dragon Ball, Soul Eater, and Toriko. I recently have started reading Manhwa.

@IndridCold: Can you recommend some Manhwa? I've only read one so far

@ImDictatorBowDown: Dice the cube that changes everything, the breaker ,breaker new waves,The gamer,jack frost,nobleses,god of highschool ,s.i.d,city of a dead sorcerer.

@ownagepants: Thanks man, I'll have to check some of them out!

@ImDictatorBowDown: no problem.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I was always in it to some extent. I watched whatever aired when I was little on toonami and so forth. I didn't get super big into it until the Manga craze blew up in America during the early 00s with tokyo pop.

I second Breaker/New Waves as a great read if you're looking for manhwa.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel