What's your favorite visual novel?(Only if you have one)

Topic started by Void_Wizard on Dec. 12, 2008. Last post by Schwindelmagier 5 years, 9 months ago.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
There's quite a few out there such as- Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Wanko to Kurasou, Kanon, Clannad, Shuffle!, School Days, Ai Yori Aoshi, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and others.

A visual novel (ビジュアルノベル bijuaru noberu) is an interactive fiction game featuring mostly static graphics, usually with anime-style art. As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels or tableau vivant stage plays. <-- copied from wiki to inform the masses

Many visual novels are adult games btw. The problem is finding English ones since many of them aren't translated into English though certain excellent ones like Fate/stay night and Tsukihime are(you have to import the game and apply a translation patch). Some are officially released in the U.S. like Ai Yori Aoshi.

My personal favorite by far is Fate/stay Night from Type-Moon fame(adult version is on the PC and the all-ages version is on the PS2 in Japan). The characters and action blow me away with the story being very interesting and easy to get into after the introductory stuff. The art is also phenomenal in it and the story follows Shirou, the male master, and Saber, the female servant's exploits in the war for the Holy Grail. Shirou's wants to end the Holy Grail War and Saber wants to win so she get her wish granted by the Holy Grail.

Personally Fate/stay Night is the only game for me that surpasses everything by a large margin that I've played(it kicks the anime versions butt 100 times over).

Well if you want to know more about the plot you can check the franchise page here or even better the game page on giant bomb here.

So what is your favorite visual novel? I would be nice if you'd tell us why as well.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
My favorites has always been Shuffle! and Rosario + Vampire(DS) and the Harvest moon franchise(my new blog)
Harvest Moon isn't a visual novel(not sure about Rosario).^^
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Void_Wizard said:
"Harvest Moon isn't a visual novel.^^"

isn't a full one yes but  it does count a little till you get to the point where you expect  to get a fan-service pic but don't XD
so yeah scrap that ^^ o and i forgot to add Touka Gettan and Green Green to that list :)
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I haven't played any of them (I think), but if the anime versions are faithful to the games, so far my favorite would be Clannad. I love Saber's (from Fate / Stay Night) character design. I also liked Utawarerumono.
jlrm01 said:
"I haven't played any of them (I think), but if the anime versions are faithful to the games, so far my favorite would be Clannad. I love Saber's (from Fate / Stay Night) character design. I also liked Utawarerumono."
Too bad that you haven't played any visual novels(you would know if you did) they are an underrated, but great, genre.
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I haven't read too many, but so far, it's Clannad and Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug that Makes You Dream.
Here's a free and just release(legit) non-h visual novel called Brass Restoration you might be interested in playing! :P http://yandere.gray7.com/?p=64
Post by CaptainRiven (6 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Tsukihime is my favorite but  I heard it may change after I play Fate/Stay Night.
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
The fate/stay night game page on GB is confusing as hell. I added boxart and release dates but i still cant wrap my mind around the concept of putting out a hentai game without the actual hentai. Guess the story must really be phenomenal.
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Endogene said:
"The fate/stay night game page on GB is confusing as hell. I added boxart and release dates but i still cant wrap my mind around the concept of putting out a hentai game without the actual hentai. Guess the story must really be phenomenal."
I think the adult content is sort of an added bonus that's not really essential to the story. Not sure. Haven't played it either.
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Endogene said:
"The fate/stay night game page on GB is confusing as hell. I added boxart and release dates but i still cant wrap my mind around the concept of putting out a hentai game without the actual hentai. Guess the story must really be phenomenal."
From my "research" for h-games at GB, I even found a company that supposedly specializes in adapting games with adult content and removing it / altering it so that the game can be enjoyed by people who wouldn't otherwise play an adult game (was it called Yeti? I don't remember). I'm guessing there may be more companies like that.

Also, on message boards people frequently talk about many h-games the same way people talk about regular anime or movies, in terms of its story and if it was awesome or not. And judging by anime series based on them, I really should play them, as I do love the stories / characters in them. (However, language is a problem for me.)
Fate/stay night hentai content is essential to fans of the series and to people who don't want to see a crappy scenes put in place of it. =) (the hentai scenes add to the story and not having them must feel like something is missing)
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
jlrm01 said:
"Endogene said:
From my "research" for h-games at GB, I even found a company that supposedly specializes in adapting games with adult content and removing it / altering it so that the game can be enjoyed by people who wouldn't otherwise play an adult game (was it called Yeti? I don't remember). I'm guessing there may be more companies like that.

Also, on message boards people frequently talk about many h-games the same way people talk about regular anime or movies, in terms of its story and if it was awesome or not. And judging by anime series based on them, I really should play them, as I do love the stories / characters in them. (However, language is a problem for me.)"
  Apparentlythe game has been translated by a team called Mirror-Moon, here is the patch file: http://mirrormoon.org/projects/fate_stay_night
Post by PureRok (58 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Kana -Little Sister- hands down. When I first got that I played it all night long and only got to the end once. I BAWLED MY EYES OUT for what seemed like forever. I haven't had the guts to play through it again since then... but I think everyone should play that at least once.

I think this quote from Forever Geek sums it up nicely:

"Most reviews you’ll read of "Kana, Little Sister" will probably start out the same as this one. Get this game. Play this game. Cry your eyes out at one of the most heartbreaking stories you’ll ever experience, in one of the most beautiful games ever created."
Post by Schwindelmagier (314 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Chaos;Head!
The anime is really awesome as well. ^^
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel