Whats better, A Ligtsaber or a Zonpakuto?

Topic started by SuperperfectCell on March 24, 2011. Last post by SilverGalford 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by SuperperfectCell (528 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Whats the more effective and powerful "sword". The futuristic lightsaber of the Soul cutting Zonpakutos? Could a lightsaber cut a Zonpakuto in half (at least depending on its owner's spiritual pressure/Reistu) or would the Zonpakuto slice straight threw it? and which weapon is overall cooler? also be specific.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
A base zankautou wouldn't stand a chance against a lightsaber, but I'd prefer a shikai or bankai any day. 
@AgentJ:
But even base Zonpakuto varry in power, Ichigo's sealed Zonpakuto is much "stronger" then the genearic Zonpakuto that low ranking Soul Reapers carry around. i think Ichigo's sealed form could match it.
Post by audio_defect (33 posts) See mini bio Level 12
As much as I hate to say it,    the  Zanpakutō is a pretty powerful weapon. Granted, aren't the abilities of the sword based on the spiritual prowess of the wielder? So if you're spirit power is crappy, so is your sword? 
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24
A lightsaber would probably slice through a zanpakuto but a Zanpakuto is way more than a mere sword.  The access to shikai, bankai and merged forms that give you magic abilities and/or exponentially increase all of your basic abilities is way better than the pure cutting ability of a lightsaber, which is never going to give anything more than the ability to cut through solid materials and limited ability at deflecting lazer based projectiles.
Post by audio_defect (33 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@sickVisionz: Thank you for saying what I meant.  T_T
Post by takashichea (11,940 posts) See mini bio Level 25
You forgot the force. I think the force is a deadly ally with the light saber and it will crush any zanpakuto except for Kenpachi Zaraki. Don't mess with him.
Forgive me for being wishwashy.
@takashichea said:

" You forgot the force. I think the force is a deadly ally with the light saber and it will crush any zanpakuto except for Kenpachi Zaraki. Don't mess with him.Forgive me for being wishwashy. "

But we aren't really talking about Shinigami vs Jedi, just one weapon or another. So ignoring kido and force... 
@SuperperfectCell said:

" @AgentJ: But even base Zonpakuto varry in power, Ichigo's sealed Zonpakuto is much "stronger" then the genearic Zonpakuto that low ranking Soul Reapers carry around. i think Ichigo's sealed form could match it. "

I would disagree, but until Lucas Arts and Shonen Jump merge, I guess we won't know for sure.  
What I do know is, sealed swords are essentially big chunks of steel. We all saw what Qui Gon Jin did to those blast doors in episode one.  

Would Kira's shikai have any effect on a lightsaber?
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@AgentJ:  It makes something weight twice than before, so the handle will get increased in weight
@takashichea:
Bu what about t Aizen, Aizen>>Zaraki, right?
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@AgentJ said:

" @takashichea said:

" You forgot the force. I think the force is a deadly ally with the light saber and it will crush any zanpakuto except for Kenpachi Zaraki. Don't mess with him.Forgive me for being wishwashy. "

But we aren't really talking about Shinigami vs Jedi, just one weapon or another. So ignoring kido and force... 

That is the question.  Now lightsabers are normally only used by Jedi and Sith because utilizing them without cutting off your own body parts requires force sensitivity.  If you're using a lightsaber you've probably got some force powers.  In fact, from what I understand, a Jedi (don't know about Sith) builds their own lightsaber as part of their training.  On the other hand, a  Zonpakuto bonds with their wielder increasing their skill and abilities.  Can an average person even use a Zonpakuto?  I don't remember enough from the anime and I don't read the manga to answer that. 

However, lets say that Travis Touchdown comes along and he can pick up both a Zonpakuto and a lightsaber but still has none of the associated powers that normal coincide with handling the weapon.  I think because of its ability to cut through practically anything, you have to side with the lightsaber.  It's compact and stylish, too.   

I found this odd cosplay video on the web mixing the two franchises. 
@PenguinDust: You don't have to be force sensitive to wield a lightsaber.   The cartoons and movies have shown non-force sensitive people fighting with them.  Any swordsman who isn't constantly slicing themselves up with a normal sword has what it takes to be effective with one.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@sickVisionz:  Yeah, I guess there are a few examples but apart from slicing open a tauntaun's belly, there aren't that many.  Because a lightsaber is not like a normal sword it's thought that force sensitivity is required to effectively use one in combat.  A lightsaber has no weight in the blade so it's more like fighting with a flashlight than a standard English longsword.  Such bladed weapons can weight between 2 and 5 lbs.  I haven't seen enough of the cartoons to make any reference to those, but the case for General Grievous is a curious one.  From what I understand, he's basically a brain and spinal column inside a mechanical body.  I've heard some say that for a body to be able to live on after being reduced to so little is a sign of the force; however I also remember reading that the more machine that's added to a person the less attuned they are to the force.  Now, Grievous was taught lightsaber combat directly by Sith master Dooku and being mostly a machine, he might not worry as much about lopping off a leg while fighting.   

EDIT: While it's hardly an official resource, I found this post on "Ask a Jedi" explained it best.  It corrects several of my misinterpretations and addresses the cartoon and expanded universe material, too.  Can a non-force users wield a lightsaber?
In the cartoon, Jedi have dropped lightsabers or had them stolen and wielded by people who were never shown to have any training or connection with the force.
@cfatalis said:
" @AgentJ:  It makes something weight twice than before, so the handle will get increased in weight "
Wouldn't he have to slash the handle for that to be the case though?
Post by taichokage (13,013 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Can a lightsaber do this?

A zanpakutou can.
@taichokage:
Good point.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,328 posts) See mini bio Level 12

zANPAKUTO
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,746 posts) See mini bio Level 20
A cool zanpaktou>lightsaber 
lightsaber> a crappy/mediocre one
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Would a lightsaber even be capable of wounding a shinigami? They are spirits after all. 

Assuming it can, I'd still say that the Zanpakto is superior if it at least has shikai. Pretty much any shikai is a versatile weapon, while a lightsaber can only cut. It cuts extremely well, but that's all it can do. Plus, zanpakto can repair themselves.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel