What Show Should Tom Watch & Learn From Next?

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 12, 2010. Last post by FoxxFireArt 3 years, 7 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) Level
Staff

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Trigun
  • Berserk
  • Abenobashi
  • Black Butler
  • Darker Than Black
  • Claymore
  • Fruits Basket
  • Captain Harlock
  • The Tower of Druaga
  • Beck
  • Strike Witches
  • Durarara
  • Baccano
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I'd suggest Baccano, Durarara, or Darker Than Black. The Black Butler anime isn't really good.
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I voted Fruits Basket.   

After voting and reading the wiki I realized I mistook FB for School Rumble.  My real vote goes for Abeno.  I haven't seen that on Hulu or CR, where would you be streaming it from Tom?
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@sickVisionz said:
" I voted Fruits Basket.    After voting and reading the wiki I realized I mistook FB for School Rumble.  My real vote goes for Abeno.  I haven't seen that on Hulu or CR, where would you be streaming it from Tom? "
I have it on DVD.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Try Trigun
Post by WarlordPayne (33 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I voted for Durarara.  I watched that show a couple of months ago, on Crunchyroll I think, and was very impressed with it.  I think a Watch and Learn of it would make an awfully enjoyable read, too.

Trigun is a great show that incorporates the type of humor that Fullmetal Alchemist tried to in a much, much better way.  Abenobashi is wall to wall crazy, similar to Fooly Cooly or Gurren Lagann.  I don't think Claymore is really worth bothering with.  I liked The Tower of Druaga for the same reason you'd probably hate it, it's basically "Fantasy RPG: The Anime."  The first episode, however, would be totally worth watching, it was fantastic.
Post by SamJaz (11,114 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Online Now
Trigun, closely followed by Beck.

Personal recommendation is Black Lagoon.

Post by Wandering_Idiot (17 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Aw, no Black Lagoon?  I voted Trigun out of the available ones.  It's supposed to have the new movie released over here soon, so it's kinda-sorta current, too. 

I'd like to see a redo of the Trigun anime some day, actually.  The show seemed to have pretty severe budget problems, especially in some of the later episodes, and the manga continued after the series ended.  I believe both FMA: Brotherhood and the Hellsing OVA redo are fairly popular, so maybe there's a chance.
Post by Gaff (213 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Tom_Pinchuk @sickVisionz More Gainax,huh? ;)

I would like to some variety, so I'll probably go with Fruit Basket, or Baccano / DRRR!. Anything but Druaga: GONZO can't tell a story to save their own hide. Hm, too soon?

Though the complete and utter sadist in me wants to make Tom watch Strike Witches...
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Gaff: I didn't know Abeno was from Gainax.  I just chose a title I hadn't seen that looked the most interesting from the pics.  Also, outside of Evangelion what other Gainax shows has Tom done?  I'd also argue that from the genres, Abeno would be a variety if compared to Eva.
Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I'm a little curious about Abeno as well, coming from Gainax and all...
I've heard somewhere that is like a more "down to earth" version of Excel Saga :)
Post by Ryuku_Ryosake (58 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I'm a fan of Trigun, Abeno, and Beck. So I would love to see him review any of them but I voted for Beck for a nice change in pace. He's already reviewing a 90s classic with Cowboy Bebop and he has already had a triple hit of Gainax . However boy learning that playing guitar will make you friends and get you ladies. That we haven't seen yet well atleast not having the boy actually play the guitar instead of bashing in robots with it.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I voted Captain Harlock because I think more attention needs to be given to the classics.  "Know your roots" as they say and Space Pirate Captain Harlock is a great one to start with.  Of course, I am assuming you mean in old 1977 series and not the updated OVA adventure, Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that one, but I believe you should see the original first.   

Failing that, I would support Trigun since it has some age to it, too.  It's never been among my personal favorites, but I do believe it has merit as an anime.   

You should stay away from Strike Witches for the time being.  No offense, but I'm not convinced that you've seen enough anime to look past the dubious sexualization of the characters.  Should it be ignored?  Absolutely not, however most of the critiques I've read, rebuke the series on that facet alone ignoring all other aspects of the show.  Are there any redeemable attributes for Strike Witches?  Who can say, since too many reviews never get past denouncing all the panty shots.  Having greater knowledge of the medium might provide a better context in understanding the series.  In the end, you might still condemn the show because it makes you feel criminally uncomfortable, but perhaps there will be addition reasons beyond that for your disapproval.  
Post by Gaff (213 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@sickVisionz Well, Gurenn Lagann is another Gainax show. There's nothing wrong with going for a triple though. Maybe it's just the gamer in me, but I'm very weary of the prospect of seeing accusations of bias in the comment section. "Gainax fanbois, grrr!!1"

@PenguinDust Hmm, seems I'm still the only one who voted for Strike Witches.

The only problem with Trigun is that I don't think it haas aged particularly well compared to Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (and even those two are showing some wear and tear).
Post by zaldar (1,221 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Fruits basket is just waaaay to moe an girlyly a perfect example of everything that is wrong with modern anime.  Strike witches is nothing buy an excuse for pantie shots and again an example of what is currently wrong with anime.  Trigun all the way.
Post by DocHaus (922 posts) See mini bio Level 18
I have to choose one? Oh man...

I voted Darker Than Black because it's a relatively easy transition from Cowboy Bebop and a very good show in its own right, but Baccano! and Durarara!! are tied for second in my mind.
Post by Kas (1,178 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Darker Than Black is the best show by far followed by Trigun and Beck. I wish you could do all three somehow.
Post by LordCraven (46 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Yeah Darker than Black would be a good transition from bebop. its got my vote
2nd Beck  
3rd Trigun
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Beck's in third... awesome :P 

You really can't go wrong with those top three, though I think watching Bebop and Trigun back to back would be a little funky. Watch Black (or Beck :P) and then come back to Trigun.
Post by rubberluffy (566 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Vote for BECK damnit.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel