What Cons do YOU Want US to Attend?

Topic started by gia on Jan. 21, 2010. Last post by Niko 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Mods, I'm placing this in 'general discussion' rather than 'conventions' since it's got potential impact on the editorial content of the site, just fyi. :)

So without further ado: we want to know what conventions YOU want us to cover! We're getting ready to gear up for the season, but we're curious about which shows you most want us to report from.

Traditionally, the shows we've covered have been:
- Anime Expo
- San Diego Comic Con
- New York Anime Fest/Comic Con (combined into one show this year)
- Otakon

Other shows we've done:
- Fanime Con (our local show)
- Kumori Con (my local show before I moved)
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Sakura Con (Seattle, WA) 
- Akon (Dallas)
- Anime Matsuri (Houston)

But there are tons of other shows we COULD consider going to, including, but not limited to:
- Comiket (Tokyo)
- Tokyo Anime Fair
- Toy Fair International (NYC)
- Dragon Con (Atlanta)
- Anime Boston 
- Anime North (Toronto)
- Pacific Media Expo (LA)

...And, well, hundreds of others! So, what shows do you want to get live, up-to-the-minute reports plus interviews and videos from? What cons do you want us to be at so we can entertain you in person at a panel? Go ahead, just throw the names out there. We want to know!

(Note: if we add a new con, we might wind up having to lose a con from the list of shows we usually do, so be sure and mention which ones you want us to KEEP going to, too!)
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Comiket is usually the only one I am able to go to (Though I've only gone twice), so I'd be curious to see some of the coverage from the other ones, particularly what some of the conventions in the states are like.  So I don't really narrow it down much I guess. 

Less interest in Otakon as well, since it just seems to be so heavily covered already?
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
As a clearly unbiased source. I think Anime Vice should cover everything.

I enjoy covering Akon, but only really because it gives me an excuse to visit the D/FW area, other than that its a pretty meh event. Also, I doubt we'll be doing Matsuri again...

@Addfwyn:
From a goer's perspective, Otakon has been a blast all of the years I've gone.
Post by kratos1010 (78 posts) See mini bio Level 2
You should check out Anime Boston. It has been consistently good, although last year was a bit below my standards.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
   well the anime con in ny has been good pretty consistently, you guys might want to check it out (it is a little far off though)
*edit* i misread your original post. You've already been to the ny anime con? too bad i didn't know the site back then
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
You should definitely go to Comiket or TAF. I'd like to see content made outside of the states :D 
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Should come to london expo and cosplay with us lol
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Any of these in japan? Cause you guys going to cover a Japanesse Con would be awesome! 

I say San Diego Comic Con.... (I know it's already on the list!) but I say thid cause I'm going!!! n_n 

Other than that I have no idea! I mean you have to cover NY and LA but since I'm new at all this so I know not which are better Anime/Manga based! 

Oh another thing... I know it's not such a big phenomenon but last year I attended Long Beach Comic Con... it's small it's cozy and since it's new there's lots to do!

@sora_thekey: TAF and Comiket are in Japan, but we'll see if I can get the budget to go ;)
Post by Killroycantkill (70 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Anime North, only because it would be mad expensive for you guys to come to canada rather than drive around the states (MUHAHAHA) and because I might have a chance of stealing one of you guys and bring you back to my hotel room. (Translation: Maybe get in one of your videos, then I can have internet fame)
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@gia: Well if you do find the budget for you to go... can you find some more budget to take me!?!

I'll carry the bags...! T_T
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

If you could make it out to Anime North that could be interesting, although I have the feeling Gia would just tour around the Renaissance looking at all the Yaoi North stuff heading to the Doubletree in the evening to Cafe Nocturne. (a crossplay cafe with girls dressed as butlers) :p Seriously though it would be interesting to see a journalistic take on the event since as far as I know most of the media there is either small fansites, YTV* and maybe a small blurb in the local mass media. I think there are some interesting panels and other events there that are somewhat unique to that con. I mean since I doubt there would be much in the way of news besides maybe at the Funimation panel. Oh and hopefully there will be some more interesting guests from Japan now that they aren't all worried about travelling due to H1N1. Plus the convention itself is fairly close to the Pearson Internation Airport so it wouldn't be hard to get lost. 

As for a panel that could be cool but if Animevice is planning to do that I'd be quick in putting an application in, since they're starting to plan out the schedule now I believe.

Plus Toronto is the location of the Canadian branch of the Japan Foundation meaning Animevice could also take the oportunity to do some reporting there, I don't know if they would have any events or anything that weekend but there is always the library they mantain. I don't know how difficult it would be for trying to have press coverage there though. Oh and in nearby Markham (Anime North is actually closer to Missisauga where the Japan Foundation is toward downtown Toronto) there is the Pacific Mall, which is suposedly the largest indoor Asian mall in North America, (BTW it's more Chinese focused) which could make for a cool video of just touring around it. (although might want to watch out with some parts since some of the stores have been getting cracked down on for selling pirated games, DVDs and music and would probably get on edge if they saw people with a camera around) Also in Toronto is the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, which is complete with an art gallery that again could make a cool video of just looking at some of the stuff there. Although I'll note from what I understand the JCCC is more focused on Japanese Canadian culture and history and such. So I suppose that may be somewhat more niche in terms of crossover intrest in Japanese culture that might not have to with anime, manga or other aspects of more contemporary pop culture.  

The only thing I guess is that it would be quite a trip from Sausalito, California to Toronto, Ontario and Fanime a similarly sized convention in the much closer San Jose is on the same weekend I believe. 

Um sorry if I got a bit wordy there.

*although probably not anymore if the way they're treating how they handle showing anime is any indication

Post by CapeBarnes (496 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Give Fanime another go. And maybe Anime Overdose in San Fransisco (kinda short notice though, XD)
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
 Comiket (Tokyo) and Tokyo Anime Fair, if you can go that would great, nothing beats Japanese cons.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Konanda: I've never been to Canada before, sounds like fun. Also, for whatever reason I read "Anime North" as "Anime Dale North"

Oh man, the chances of being able to go to japan for some of the big ones would be... amazing.
Post by Son_of_Manus (525 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Any in New York, Philly or New Jersey so I can say hi =]
@CapeBarnes: Fanime is pretty much the only one that is 100% definite since there are no travel costs associated, so never fear ;)
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@John_Martone said:

" @Konanda: I've never been to Canada before, sounds like fun. Also, for whatever reason I read "Anime North" as "Anime Dale North"  Oh man, the chances of being able to go to japan for some of the big ones would be... amazing. "

It's kind of like this.   And now you know why they are so refreshing.    
Post by CapeBarnes (496 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@gia: Good to know. 
Was about to suggest something else, but I forgot what 0_o
@CapeBarnes: Come back when you remember! :)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel