What are some long lasting anime that are still airing?

Topic started by sickVisionz on June 16, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'm doing some early prep work for the 2012 Best of and I need you guys and gal's help on something:

What are some pre-2012 series that were still airing new episodes in 2012? Right now, the only ones that come to mind are:

• Bleach
  • Naruto Shippuden
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Toriko
  • Fairy Tail
  • One Piece
  • Pokemon
  • Doraemon
  • Detective Conan
  • Sazae-san
  • Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
  • Sket Dance
  • Bakuman 2
  • Persona 4: The Animation
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Guilty Crown
  • Chihiyafuru
  • Gintama

Full list here. What am I missing?

Also, for those interested in helping me with scoring system or looking to give input and get info about how it works and the rationale, I made a thread here: I need your help for the Best Anime of 2012 votes! (Blog post). It's a bit of a read, but everyone's input is welcomed.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,210 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Damn, you got all the ones that came straight to my mind. Uhh, lets see... Pokémon is still going. And going... and going...

I guess the current Queen's Blade anime is still set in the same universe, different lead character though I think, so I don't know if that counts or not. If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know.

Post by batmanbeyond234 (136 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Sazae-san. It's a very old series. Trust me.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,820 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Doraemon still seems to be airing in Japan as well. I bet he still has those 9 lives after that long.

@sickVisionz: Didn't the Bleach anime end months ago?

Post by rubberluffy (584 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Detective Conan/Cased Closed is still going (episode 660 is the newest), so there's another one.

@Daniel_Newton: I think each season is under a different name, which gets it included on the sites that I am using to get the names of 2012 anime by season. I'm searching for stuff like Pokemon where the series title stays the same from season to season, causing it not to appear on most seasonal anime lists.

@Bigheart711 said:

@sickVisionz: Didn't the Bleach anime end months ago?

Its last episode aired in the final weeks of the Winter 2012 tv season.

Post by Dream (7,494 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Sket Dance
Bakuman 2
Persona 4: The Animation
Mirai Nikki
Guilty Crown
Chihiyafuru

If OAV titles count, then Hellsing Ultimate and Gundam Unicorn are still ongoing as we speak.
Post by takashichea (11,940 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Dream:

Guilty Crown ended since March.

Post by Dream (7,494 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
@takashichea: Isn't sickVisionz asking for anime from last year that aired into 2012?

@Dream said:

@takashichea: Isn't sickVisionz asking for anime from last year that aired into 2012?

Oh! Okay, then I put down Beelzebub and Fate Zero even though they ended.

Post by rubberluffy (584 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Oh, what about the second Gintama anime, it ran from April 2011 to March '12.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I'm not sure if either of these count but the Pretty Cure franchise is still going strong with a new edition each year. They're up to season 9 now I believe with Smile PreCure.

My second suggestion would by the soccer series Inazuma Eleven. There are three series within the franchise but, unlike PreCure, the same characters appear in each series albeit at different stages in their lives. It's a little like Major in that way or Naruto come to think of it. The current series is Inazuma Eleven Go 2 Chrono Stone and it's still airing.

If you're looking for shows which have kept just the one original name throughout their run and are still on-going, then I can't think to add any others to what's been stated above.

EDIT: Would Phi-brain Puzzle of God count? It started in October of 2011 and is currently still airing although that's season two, which has the same title as season one but with a "2" tagged to the end. I'm not sure if that's enough to disqualify it or not.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@takashichea said:

@Dream said:

Oh! Okay, then I put down Beelzebub and Fate Zero even though they ended.

Fate Zero still has one more episode left!

@rubberluffy: @Petiew: @PenguinDust: @rubberluffy: @takashichea: @Dream: Is this list complete? Full list here

@sickVisionz:

Fate Zero and Gintama

@sickVisionz: Upon further consideration, you'll probably want to drop Inazuma Eleven GO 2 Chrono Stone down to "Spring". The installments within the franchise have always run back-to-back, but they do take on a new numbering with each new series. For clarification, the original series ran for 127 episodes. After it ended, the following week, Inazume Eleven GO began and that ran for 47, and like its predecessor, with its conclusion, GO 2 Chrono Stone began and is up to episode 7 or 8 now. Since each series has its own numerical arc, for bookkeeping purposes, they should probably be counted as separate.

EDIT: Would something like Gundam Unicorn count? It's not long running since it's only up to episode 5 of a planned 7, but it started back in 2010 and episode 5 dropped just last month. It's an OVA series too as opposed to TV broadcast so that might disqualify it as well.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Idolm@ster's 26th episode came out a few days ago, though episode 25 was back in December.
Pokemon's newest series has the subtitle Best Wishes, which is changing to Best wishes 2 once the new games come out, not sure if you want to differentiate the two.

List looks good so far!

@Petiew: I think the Idolm@ster one was just like a bonus episode on the Japanese home release. I'm looking for shows where it's 2012 run was like a full 11+ episode broadcast season.

@sickVisionz: You know after all my focus on Inazume Eleven Go 2 Chono Stone, I never though to suggest Inazuma Eleven Go. It began in May of 2011 and ended in April of 2012. In 2012, there were 13 episodes that aired leading to its concluding 47th show. source

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this franchise over the last day or so. Yeesh! ;-)

@PenguinDust: @Petiew: @takashichea: @rubberluffy: @Dream: @Bigheart711: @batmanbeyond234: @Daniel_Newton:

Ok, I'm adding these series to the lists. I've got a BETA version of the 2012 voting system up now and if anyone would like to (id really like you to like to!) see the weights, how it works, help me test for issues via voting, or weigh in on ways the weighting could be better, check out this thread.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel