What Anime do you think has the most believable villains?

Topic started by Neku on Dec. 7, 2008. Last post by GlareMaverick11987 5 years, 9 months ago.
Post by Neku (198 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I just realized that not too many anime villains are believable. I mean, henchmen or not just look at Code Geass. "LET'S KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS BECAUSE WE CAN!"
Any villains come to mind that can justify their villainy? I think that Princess Mononoke does a good job at making their 'villains' believable and Light Yagami I could probably see walking on the street.

Hope he doesn't mind the bus of orphans I blew up the other day.
Post by _Judge_ (1,472 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Gendo Ikari.

Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Neku said:
"I just realized that not too many anime villains are believable. I mean, henchmen or not just look at Code Geass. "LET'S KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS BECAUSE WE CAN!""
I hate badguys like that. I don't watch a lot of anime with villains. I guess Team Rocket is believable, they have a solid set of goals. lol
^^^
Yeah but they take away that slight believability when they make gigantic robots (probably worth millions of dollars) to capture a common Pikachu.
Anyways, I just find Anime boring without some type of villain.
Well, I'm not a huge anime fan and couldn't really name series as examples, but I kinda prefer ones in which it's mostly the protagonists own fault when they get themselves into sticky situations and the "villain" is mostly just reacting to a slight made against them by the "hero." I like my goodguys to be scoundrels.

I certainly hate when villains are just bloodthirsty monsters without motivation (unless of course they are literally bloodthirsty monsters.)
^^^
I think it's alright if they're like some of the villains in FMA though, who are just horribly mentally insane like the butcher guy.
Yup, fer sure! I'd like there to be a reason why they're insane though, like, give us at least a little bit of insight into what makes them tick.
Post by Knil (18 posts) See mini bio Level 2
To be honest, I'd say Naruto has some of the most believable villains in the anime world. The series always goes to great lengths to delve into the backstories of its villains, and each one has their own unique and interesting motivations for what they do. Off the top of my head, I can think of Itachi, Sasori, Orochimaru, Zabuza and Haku, Kabuto, Gaara (for a while). None of them are just insane, bloodthirsty monsters. They all have fleshed out motivations and backgrounds that drive them to do what they do.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Kakihara from Ichi the Killer, no offense but after what the Japs did in WWII at their Unit731 sites (google) it is not that unbelievably for someone to do these atrocities and not to mention Guantanamo.
Knil said:
"To be honest, I'd say Naruto has some of the most believable villains in the anime world. The series always goes to great lengths to delve into the backstories of its villains, and each one has their own unique and interesting motivations for what they do. Off the top of my head, I can think of Itachi, Sasori, Orochimaru, Zabuza and Haku, Kabuto, Gaara (for a while). None of them are just insane, bloodthirsty monsters. They all have fleshed out motivations and backgrounds that drive them to do what they do."
Yeah, agreed. Naruto does kind of give TOO much backstory though.
Post by Knil (18 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Neku said:
"Knil said:
"To be honest, I'd say Naruto has some of the most believable villains in the anime world. The series always goes to great lengths to delve into the backstories of its villains, and each one has their own unique and interesting motivations for what they do. Off the top of my head, I can think of Itachi, Sasori, Orochimaru, Zabuza and Haku, Kabuto, Gaara (for a while). None of them are just insane, bloodthirsty monsters. They all have fleshed out motivations and backgrounds that drive them to do what they do."
Yeah, agreed. Naruto does kind of give TOO much backstory though."
Yeah, they do overdo it a bit, but most the backstories are unique and involving enough that they don't interrupt the flow.

Unlike Bleach backstory, which I almost always hate.
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Neku said:
"I just realized that not too many anime villains are believable. I mean, henchmen or not just look at Code Geass. "LET'S KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS BECAUSE WE CAN!""
They are called henchmen, they follow orders without second thought due to loyalty. Ever heard of the Nazis? "LET'S KILL JEWS BECAUSE WE CAN!", Hitler has nothing to do with it! [/sarcasm]. Even in Africa, genocide is the meal of the day.

If you could question a motive, ask their boss then. As you might know the Princess was the one who ordered the killings, which is currently under the Geass, which was also an accident. There was no motive in your example, it was JUST an accident.

As long as there is a motive, any action is believable. Whether killing for love, power, pride, greed, hate, or just loving the taste of blood it's still believable for the reason that it happens in the real world.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
That's a really tough question. There are a few good believable villains out there. Maximilion Robspierre from Le Chevallier D'eon comes to  mind (though he is based of a real person, but not exactly),  as does Johan from Monster, what with his upbringing and his not over the top insanity.
Post by orz (114 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Great Teacher Onizuka... his antagonists are his students trying to get him fired... that's pretty believable
Post by GlareMaverick11987 (88 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Case Closed\Detective Conan.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel