Weekly Query: Pokemon vs. Digimon

Topic started by Guest_Author on Feb. 11, 2011. Last post by Kyreo 3 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Destinyheroknight said:
" @Kelleth:  But Digimon predated Pokemon, How is that a knock off?  Digimon was a tamagotchi knock off then a pokemon knock off "
@Kelleth said:
" @EganTheVile1: @Destinyheroknight:  And actually Even if Digimon was a Pokémon knock-off, that would still mean that the most important villains of the show where knock-offs from the Time Bokan trio's like the Time Skeletons and Doronbo. "
Even if is the clue here I should not have to explain this >_>
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,247 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
@Kelleth: 
Oh ok, I didn't see that LOL!
Sorry about that
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Destinyheroknight said:
" @Kelleth:  But Digimon predated Pokemon, How is that a knock off?  Digimon was a tamagotchi knock off then a pokemon knock off "
Digimon did not predate Pokemon, the cartoon predates the pokemon cartoon but not the gameboy game or manga to my knowledge, then again I could be wrong and am very willing to say sorry my bad if I am
@Destinyheroknight said:
Nevermind Digimon was released in 99, Pokemon in 96, no real question of which came first
Online Now
@EganTheVile1:  
Digimon Started as a virtual pet in 1996, but it didn't got released until 1997.
Digimon was tamagotchi for boys       
@EganTheVile1:  But that still doesn't make it a knock-off. It should only count if they where actually catching and training the Digimon and pitting them against each other like they where Pokémon. Which wasn't what the original Digimon where made for. Those where Tamagochi.
 And I'm just using this excuse to post the Time Bokan songs :D

Team Rocket = rip-offs
@Kelleth:  Yeah but Pokemon manga dates back to 94, and why am I arguing I said Digimon is superior as a story myself!
@EganTheVile1:  Video's I posted are from the 70's
@Kelleth:
Wow then the Digimon section on AV needs some major TLC, earliest series it has is from 99, and I used our communities wiki as areference so forgive my error. in that case Pokemon may be the arguable knock-off, but again apples and oranges, both are very different putting the miniature monster fighting aside, Digimon was better written and had lines for it's monsters beyond saying their own name over and over again
Online Now
@EganTheVile1: 
You call Digimon a knock off, that why I'm arguing with you  
What the people who make Digimon can see the future, they come out almost at the same time
@EganTheVile1:  O sorry you mean Digimon, I... Already gave that answer. To bring up the Team Rocket Trio being a worthless 2nd rate knock-off discussion again xD
@Destinyheroknight said:
" @EganTheVile1:  You call Digimon a knock off, that why I'm arguing with you   What the people who make Digimon can see the future, they come out almost at the same time "
Now that kelieth has realised we were arguing against each other about the same series (duh moment on both ends) I again say there is a three year gap between series and you can not honestly say that the success of one has absolutely nothing to do with the similar title of the other
@EganTheVile1:  Same as with The main villains which often the most memorable part of the series being copy of an older and more better written franchise :)
Online Now
@EganTheVile1: 
The Digimon anime is bass off its virtual pet, it have nothing to do with Pokemon (only the three letters at the end) 
The virtual pet came out at the same time as red and blue, Digimon and Pokemon are totally different
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Kelleth said:

Team Rocket = rip-offs "
Outside of both of them being idiots I didn't see any similarity between this and team rocket.
@Kelleth said:

" @EganTheVile1:  Same as with The main villains which often the most memorable part of the series being copy of an older and more better written franchise :) "

Agreed, it's a lot like Transformers and GoBots, or G.I. Joe and Action Man, similar concept stemming from a pre-existing one. Also if I am not mistaken wasnt there a lawsuit?
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I'm not touching this even with a ten foot pole.  

But Pokemon is serious business.
Post by arsenal04 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Pokemon is still okay, even though I prefer the old designs the core of the show/game is still the same. First season of Digimon is my favorite anime of all time, 02 and tamers were good, 4 and 5 were meh... I rather not talk about xross wars....
@sickVisionz: 
Jessie = Majo = Doronbo
James = Crocky = Boyakky
Meowth = Warusa = Tonzura
 A trio with a few variations. Always stealing stuff and building mecha to get it. But when actually nedin money resort to scamming people. 
After they lose they blast of like team Rocket but rather then a glimmer show off an atom cloud forming a skull
Every some one claims a group is ripping Team Rocket off like with Flint the Time Detective villain trio or Mon Colle Knights villain trio its always dated back to the Time Bokan Trio's

Here are a couple outside POV's argue with these people, I'm personally done being drawn into this as I really dont care
http://www.freewebs.com/aquas/past.htm   
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.203274-Why-the-belief-Digimon-copied-pokemon?page=2
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel