Vice Pit Question Thread

Topic started by No_name_here on July 25, 2012. Last post by takashichea 3 months, 1 week ago.
Post by Bigheart711 (4,218 posts) See mini bio Level 21
  • If you would have one weapon, a commune of choice and one superpower from any anime, which would those be and why?
  • What are your thoughts on anime series/movies that were adaptations from videogames or manga? In connection to this, would you check out the source material first?
  • Which anime character(s) or location(s) would you want to be involved in a dream of yours? Has any of the sort ever happened to you?

This is all I got for now. I'll post again if I have any more.

Post by takashichea (14,516 posts) See mini bio Level 25
  • 1st Question: Which do you prefer male or female protagonist and why? If the protagonist was originally a male or female but changed, would that make a difference? For example, in Fate Stay Night, Saber is originally a male character while Shiro is intended to be a woman, and they changed it.

It was hard to think of a good question. I got inspired by my sis for the first one.

• 2nd Question: Should an anime series based on a visual novel game follow its storyline or deviate?
  • 3rd Question: Can anime can reach the realm of popularity in the U.S. like Japan?

Edit:

It took me a while to think some good questions.

Post by swaggity (27 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@samweller999: @No_name_here: What do you think about the future of anime?

Topics to discuss, for example -

. Flash animation seems to be hot on the rise. Do you think Japanese animators will take that into account and start making Flash-based anime?

. (At least this applies to me from what I see) The newer generation of kids just don't seem to have that "drive" to watch anime. When I had Toonami, that's all I watched. Now, the newer generation doesn't have that, and iCarly and Big Time Rush dominate the newer generations attention(and especially with me - trying to get my cousins interested in anime, they don't even pay anime any attention). At this rate, do you think anime will become obsolete with the newer generation if this trend continues, eventually becoming obsolete in general?(If the newer generation doesn't watch it, and our generation only does, the older we get, eventually - you know - we will die. If anime isn't spread to the newer generations, what hope is there to keep it alive in the US?) Do you think Toonami going off the air when it did impacted the future of anime? (Let's be honest here. A lot of these kids can't stay up until midnight to watch the new Toonami. 5 or 6 o'clock coming back from school was the perfect time.) Do you know what ways we can keep anime alive here in the US? (My argument could be irrelevant, because perhaps you have better experiences than I do with the newer generation, and overall it could be fine, but if not then my point is relevant, especially from my point of view because I try to get my younger cousins into anime and they don't care for it.)

. What do you think about the future of online piracy with anime? With the fact that it's easier for people to just stream a show online for free instead of paying for a service like Netflix to watch them or purchase the anime DVD, do you think anime companies will take this into account and try to work something out so that they don't lose money - and if so, what could they do in your opinion? Do you think anime DVDs are going down the "CD" era, where no one buys them anymore, when you can get practically everything online for free?(It's definitely more convenient on the wallet.)

Just a couple of topics I gave to see if you can work with them.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Note: Minor spoilers for Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows

How do you guys approach adaptations of anime / manga that changes the nature of the characters? Specifically, Tom has watched Eureka Seven, and I trust he's developed some degree of attachment the characters displayed. The movie adaptation Pocket Full of Rainbows (Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers) was not well received. It had plenty of issues of the usual traditional type. But what really got under the skin of a lot of people was the change the crew of the Gekko Go went through, becoming a group of callous, selfish, indignant assholes. This is a change that might not be inherently bad, but it in a way defiled part of what attracted people to the original.

Post by sosgirl10 (31 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Hello, Which anime's do you think are overrated? Which do you think are underated? :D Thank You!

Post by TopHaZZard (8 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I wonder why there has never been a good anime series based on a Fighting Game. The games themselves aren't terribly good at telling stories due to there arcade nature but you would think someone could do something interesting with the crazy cast of Street Fighter or Tekken. There are entire shows that revolve around characters settling disputes with there fists so something based of a fighter wouldn't exactly be a stretch.

Post by CallmeBrent (98 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@TopHaZZard: There have been Street Fighter anime...

Post by TopHaZZard (8 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@CallmeBrent: There have been a couple of movies and that the one unremarkable 1998 Series but nothing recent in my mind aside from the SF4 movies.

I'm looking for a new full blown series.

Post by Killer_of_trolls (1,563 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Post by Username_Undefined (90 posts) See mini bio Level 12

What's your opinion on character songs? Should that aspect of anime culture stay in Japan, or could it work here? I don't know any Japanese, but I like it when a voice actor sings a song that's written for one of their characters as the character. Would there be any character song that you guys would want to hear an English counterpart to?

Post by myeonblueapocalypse (1 posts) See mini bio Level 2

Hi Guys, what are your feelings/concerns on some anime not getting Blu Ray releases over here in the United States? It's my understanding that anime is very expensive in Japan compared to The US. And to prevent "reverse importation", they make their Blu Rays exclusive to Japan. Is it fair that we have to suffer for Japan's fear of "reverse importation"? Can you think of any solutions? Thanks.

Post by metalsnakezero (680 posts) See mini bio Level 16

How much dialog can you take in a show when the show uses dialog heavily?

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

what is your ideal or dream anime? for example, mine would mecha series with awesome design that doesn't involve harem element. Infinite Stratos would have been perfect if it weren't for the whole one-man-gets-all-the-girls cliche.

Post by swaggity (27 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@No_name_here: @samweller999:

Sam and Tom. I got a question. In terms of single characters, which characters in both American and Japanese media do you think have had the most standout/are the most recognizable characters worldwide? And even have had the most impact in their home country and worldwide.

For example, I think as many people know of Spongebob equally like they know of Pikachu.

-Although Asuka is very popular in Japan(there is even an Evangelion store), do you think she shares that same success here in the states?

Just a thought.

Post by Acura_Max (2,431 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I don't know if you heard about this already but a director named Guillermo Del Toro is directing a live action mecha movie called Pacific Rim. It comes out 2013 and there is great hype for it. Some are comparing to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Here is a quick plot summary:

The film is set in two separate worlds. The first is a future version of Earth where, in November 2012, a giant monster emerged from the Pacific Ocean and attacked Osaka, Japan. The other world is The Anteverse, where the monster came from. A portal to this world is located five miles under the water. But while one giant monster is bad enough, the truly horrific thing is that the portal continues to spit out all different kinds of beasts that attack coastal cities. In order to fight off and destroy these monsters, the military forms what is called the “Jaeger” program, where pilots are trained to operate giant mechanical suits made of “armor and high-tech weaponry.” At the center of the story is a character named Raleigh Antrobus, one of the aforementioned pilots and is sent to Tokyo for his mission.
Since the first attack, the rim has been “spitting out” a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles.
Within the first act alone, we are given enough detailed background on the god-like Jaeger systems, its shared neural piloting system (called “pons”), and the relentless beasts.

Okay, that was not quick, but you can see a ton of similarities to Evangelion. Here is my question(s): "If you were directing Pacific Rim, how how would you handle it?" What points does Pacific Rim have to hit in order for you to like?

Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

If you were made Ambassador of Introducing Anime to the Mainstream and were given the power to force any one US television station to broadcast any one anime series sometime between 8p-10pm on a weekday, what station and series would you choose and why?

Post by secretzfan (238 posts) See mini bio Level 18

What got you guys deep into the anime market

Post by YotaruVegeta (613 posts) See mini bio Level 12

What's with robot children? I've been watching Casshern Sins, and I finally started watching Astro Boy. I get why Astro Boy was created (Dr. Tenma is a mad scientist/the worst father ever) but I don't get the need for a robot mom, a robot dad, and a robot baby wrapped up in a little sheet.

Post by Dekken (533 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Who is your favorite anime villain?, what do you think makes a villain more memorable?.

Post by Jinbeifan1 (3,474 posts) See mini bio Level 14

What American comics and/or movies do you believe would be the best transformed into anime/manga?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel