Vice Pit Question Thread

Topic started by No_name_here on July 25, 2012. Last post by YotaruVegeta 1 month ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Sam and I are shooting plenty of Vice Pit episodes, and we’re thinking it’d be totally rad to have you lunatics on the show. Well, not literally - - that’s not feasible at the moment - - we’re talking about you being there in spirit. The spirit of your ideas, as transferred to us through the means of a message board.

So go on and throw some questions and discussion topics up on the thread below here. We’re thorough guys - - we’ll get to whatever you posit, either in mail bag episode or an entire feature. That’s right, your Q may get an A in the form of an entire episode. Exciting prospect, no?

Fire away.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,898 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

What are your honest thoughts on the Magical Girl genre? Do you think said genre still has some life in it after Madoka Magica left its mark in the world or is it still all worn out to you?

Post by YotaruVegeta (576 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Have you ever done something embarrassing that's anime-related? Maybe did a dance from a show opener, ran with your arms straight back like you were a character from Dragonball Z, accidentally greeted a family member as -san or -kun, etc?

Also, general thoughts on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

What are your top 5 anime series? Top 5 manga series? Also, what manga and/or anime do you really want to get licensed?

Post by samweller999 (69 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

@YotaruVegeta: I can answer the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure question by referring you AntfishTAS's YouTube page and his awesome JJBATAS videos...but because it's me the only link I'll include is this one:

Post by samweller999 (69 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

@Bigheart711: Pay attention to the next upcoming episodes for your answers...

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Well, my question any word on maintenance and improvements on anime vice?

Post by metalsnakezero (673 posts) See mini bio Level 16

What is it that made you drop a show?

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
  • What anime had the most impact on you in your youth?
  • Do you think fan service (the sexy kind, of course) works better in certain genres? Like comedy for example? Why is that?
  • If you could trade lives with any anime character, who would it be?
  • What are your favourite anime tropes? What are your least favourite anime tropes?

@Elfenlied1012: I've spoken to Andy (one of the site engineers) on a few occasions and generally they're too busy with other stuff for the time being. That said, when there are issues with the site that need to be fixed immediately they take care of them. For example the search index stopped updating a few times and the guys fixed it, so the site is still being maintained. Don't forget BermanBraun is a huge company with a lot of websites, plus I imagine Andy and the others are still pretty busy fixing Tested. That site is slowly improving and getting features back that it lost when it had to be redesigned. Functionality-wise, Anime Vice is in a much better state than Tested is.

Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18
  • What is/are the worst anime you have ever seen?
  • Have you ever fantasized about certain things you've seen in various anime? Like maybe a particular episode from a particular show that made you think, "I'd like to see that happen/be able to do that in real life"?
  • Favorite genres? Least favorite?
  • What are your anime pet peeves?
  • If you could pick one anime world to be whisked away/suddenly transported to (and live in of course), what would it be?
  • What type of ideas and elements would you want to see in a show/movie that hasn't been done--or done well--before (an example would be Madoka Magica, in which the magical girl/thriller hybrid worked surprisingly well for itself)?
  • What anime/manga series you think would work well/would you want to see in live action?
  • I apologize in advance for this dumb question: Have you dreamed of having your own harem of sexy anime ladies? If so, who would you include in it (amount doesn't matter, include your favorite female characters if you want to--go crazy)?

If I think of any more dumb, shameless questions like the last one, I'll post again. =P

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,642 posts) See mini bio Level 25
  • When you consider that the line between comics and manga is extremely thin, why is it that so many comic fanatics are so dismissive if not venomous against manga in general? I read both, and I find a lot of the complaints comic readers have about comics (i.e. continuity, deaths that are reversed in months, and reboots) can be answered in various manga series. Some try to point to fan service, but how is that any different than all the impossibly busty Marvel and DC heroine and villainess characters in skintight or barely there costumes with spiked heels? Others say that the series are too large to get into. However, there are always jumping on points, and you're going to have that same problem with any long running comic series. If anything, I think it's easier to find back issues of manga volumes than it is comic trades. I often have a hard time finding trades from comics released a year ago.
Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Can we have more text based RPG forums everywhere all the time please?

Post by zaldar (1,264 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Many of the most famous anime series are famous because they were the first to do something. Outlaw star for example (I won't say to much more since you are watching it and I don't want to spoil). Eva also did some things in the mecha genre that hadn't been done before and Ghost in the Shell was the first anime to show a computer program gaining sentience (though it was the first time I had seen that portrayed I learned later it wasn't the first time it had been portrayed in media). In shows like this were much of the fame comes from being first do you think it makes it harder for people who have seen the tropes these shows created appreciate the earlier shows? (For example cowboy bebop owes a debt to outlaw star..does the fact you saw beop first make it harder for you or people in general to appreciate outlaw star?).

Post by swaggity (27 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Tom_Pinchuk: What would be the best way to get someone who doesn't watch anime interested in it? // What would be the best way to get an old anime viewer who stopped back into anime?

@FoxxFireArt said:

• When you consider that the line between comics and manga is extremely thin, why is it that so many comic fanatics are so dismissive if not venomous against manga in general? I read both, and I find a lot of the complaints comic readers have about comics (i.e. continuity, deaths that are reversed in months, and reboots) can be answered in various manga series. Some try to point to fan service, but how is that any different than all the impossibly busty Marvel and DC heroine and villainess characters in skintight or barely there costumes with spiked heels? Others say that the series are too large to get into. However, there are always jumping on points, and you're going to have that same problem with any long running comic series. If anything, I think it's easier to find back issues of manga volumes than it is comic trades. I often have a hard time finding trades from comics released a year ago.

In my honest opinion, something like this has to be looked at from a cultural standpoint. At least I believe so. For example - comedy. A lot of japanese anime references japanese history and culture in their work. How will an american understand that? You really don't expect them too because they do not live in Japan, and it is not a matter of ignorance either. If japanese culture doesn't interest them, you can't force it down their throats to learn.

And regarding fanservice, you honestly cannot say that busty Marvel and DC heroines aren't over-exploited like they are in japanese manga.

I really think it comes down to the culture, and I also think it comes down to that old quote "too much of anything is a bad thing". Even I think fanservice can be a bit too much. Not only that, but sometimes it gets a little too pointless as well. Really, Power Girl's breasts aren't over-exploited for the reader. Sure, they are there, but they are definitely not over-exploited like you see in shows like Rosario + Vampire and Girls Bravo. Sometimes, the fanservice gets a little too much and pointless in those shows.

Also, regarding your issue about deaths that are reversed... the only instance that I know about is Ichigo from Bleach, about how he dies but always comes back, avoiding death in some bizarre and miraculous way. ((I have a thread that I made regarding Bleach, and how I am only still on ep. 8. Lol. I have a lot of friends who have seen Bleach, and they are the one's who tell me this. Hence how I know. Lol. I couldn't know this solely being on ep. 8. Lol.)) I can't think of any instance where a character dies and then comes back. I guess you could use Goku as another example, but I really don't classify that as a good example because when he comes back, it kinda makes sense how through the Dragon Balls. But overall, usually in anime, when a character dies, they die. Because anime is finite, and american comics are not. Sometimes it becomes an issue in american comics, but comic companies won't keep their star money making characters dead. Captain America and Superman? Why would Marvel and DC respectively kill off their money makers? I don't think american readers really have a major issue with it anymore, for the fact that they have been accustomed to it already. They know that the editors are going to bring back a character eventually. And the characters usually just come back out of nowhere. It's not like Goku where he gets wished back. Sometimes american comic characters just... well... reappear. And it's weird like that sometimes.

Post by Dekken (391 posts) See mini bio Level 20
  • According to you, which was the most epic death scene you have ever seen in an anime/manga?

@Tom_Pinchuk: @samweller999: What do you think would be the best ways to introduce someone to a new genre? For example - they like comedy, but aren't too interested in teenage boys getting angry(shonen), if at first glance or just in general, or vice versa and they aren't interested in tsundere characters(comedy). Do you think there's an easy way to try and get them interested without exposing them to the point that it might turn them off or scare them away from the genre? Any show recommendations to help? - I don't know if you could tie this in, but do you also think in terms of exposing people to other genres, that they have to have at least a small grasp of Japanese culture beforehand, or they will learn that through watching the anime? I know I learned a few things on my own just watching the anime. Perhaps understand why the Japanese like mecha in regards to shonen action, for example, or why they like fanservice in regards to comedy shows. Perhaps if they understood beforehand, it would be easier for them to start enjoying a new genre without being completely oblivious to what is going on. (( I know I have trouble sometimes understanding the jokes in Excel Saga because I don't understand what they are referencing. This is my point, in regards to shortening the question, if my paragraph seemed to drag on a lot. Lol. Sometimes I don't understand what they reference and why until I do my own research after. ))

Post by Donwun (115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

What do you think about Anime Inspired American Cartoons e.g Avatar TLA / Korra, Samurai Jack and the term Amerime which is recently being coined for such titles.

Do you think this is a much better segway to get folks into anime than just giving them anime itself.

Whats your favorite Anime inspired cartoons

Suede’s Top 11 Amerime

What do you guys do, say for example you are watching a show that you enjoy, and all of a sudden the show starts introducing tropes that you don't enjoy - do you drop the show, or do you suck it up and stick with it because overall, you find the show interesting?

Post by Rxanadu (83 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Are there any anime you've regretted dropping, feeling you left something great or interesting behind (e.g. maybe MONSTER, Future Diary, et. al.)?

Also, what things get you overjoyed to marathon through an anime?

This is a side-note, but I think everyone should check out the English dub of Ghost Stories ASAP. It's possibly one of the most hilarious and hilariously offensive dubs I've ever heard.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel