Top 10 Key essentials for anime

Topic started by justanormalguy on Feb. 9, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/02/09/top-10-essential-anime-elements/

Read that list. What do you guys think? Do you agree with what they say?

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@justanormalguy: You should probably attach a "NSFW - Not Safe For Work" to that link. Think of the children!

As for the story, well practically everything on SC shouldn't be taken seriously. They're the anime equivalent of Kotaku, and I realize I am insulting Kotaku with that comparison. They pander to the lowest common denominator (of which I am frequently included) and they focus on the sensational (not the good type of sensational, either). Their lists are the absolute worst in this matter, but I can't say that they aren't conversation starters. In this case...10. Moe.

I've enjoyed Lucky Star, Squid Girl, Hidamari Sketch, Galaxy Angel and characters voiced by Rei Kugimiya. Hell my avatar is Erika Kurumi and she's super moe, but come on, moe isn't a requirement for a good anime. It's a crutch to speed along the industrial process of creating another 12 episode series for the next season or another title in the next issue of a weekly manga tome.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Agree, beset the moe part

@PenguinDust: @Destinyheroknight: I never really understood what moe was. Could I get an elaboration on that?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@justanormalguy:

It pretty much mean cute (that at lease what I got from it)

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@justanormalguy: Moe used to mean something with a very strong focus on a particular element of design. It was much more generalized, but in anime it's come to mean cute and youthful. Moe characters are usually perky and upbeat but not necessarily. It's more important that they be endearing and induce feelings to protect within the main protagonist or, more importantly, the viewer. Below are a few examples:

• Galaxy Angel ~ Milfeulle (the dim-witted perky type of moe)
  • Eyeshield 21 ~ Suzuna Taki (the energetic, positive type of moe)
  • Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha ~ Nanoha and Fate Testarossa (Nanaho is upbeat type and Fate is the distanced type)
  • To Love Ru ~ The Golden Darkness (the quiet, secluded moe type that needs to be guided through the modern world of which she knows little)
  • Bleach ~ Nel (child version) and Yachiru Kusajishi (11th squad Vice Captain)

Being very young isn't a necessity, but I think having some sort of aura of vulnerability is more important. It's just simpler to accomplish this by creating a child-like design since people are hardwired to protect the young, especially young girls.

There are moe guys too such as:

• Hitman Reborn ~ Tsunayoshi "Tsuna" Sawada (crybaby moe type)
  • Inazuma Eleven ~ Shiro Fubuki (the withdrawn emotionally crippled moe type)
  • Heroman ~ Joey Jones (the oppressed moe type)

A good rule of thumb with the moe guys is if they appear in the series dressed up like girls or if it's easy to find cross-dressing fan art for them on the web, they're probably moe.

The reason I scoffed at the inclusion of moe on the list is because I find it to be an overly familiar character device used to create a bond between the character and the viewer without any effort on the writers part. We, as anime viewers are supposed to care about that character because the exhibit moe traits and have a moe look.

@PenguinDust: Ah okay. Thanks a lot for claring that up. I don't think moe is necessary. Like tsundere isn't necessary either. On that list, if I were to replace something on that list, it would definitely be moe. What would I include? Good sub-story arcs. Like good filler stories and movies, to always keep the viewer interested. Naruto and Bleach have a lot of boring filler. Some is good, but most suck.

Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@PenguinDust: To be fair, their list is actually one taken from a popular Japanese website. A lot of things on Sankaku are actually poking fun at the thing people swear they endorse.

The list seems pretty straight. They changed the meaning from elements you like to essential elements, which makes moe stick out a little bit though. Also, I know the difference between art quality (i take that as animation, something you can only judge when it's moving) and art style (something you could judge from seeing still shots) but I don't get the separation of visuals. It seems redundant given the other two.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel