TOONAMI to Return this May!!

Topic started by FoxxFireArt on May 16, 2012. Last post by DCypher 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25

#ToonamisBackBitches should be trending sooner than anyone thought.

The Cartoon Network programing known as Adult Swim has always been known for it's rather outlandish April Fools jokes. One year, I remember they played the first episode of FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST and added a bunch of fart sound effects throughout the entire episode. They are always short gags that end quickly and are just as soon forgotten. Well, this April 1st it seems this time they struck a nerve with their own audience.

As part of the gag, Adult Swim returned the Toonami anime programming block for one evening. It even had a review for MASS EFFECT 3 in the mix. Ever since, Adult Swim and Cartoon Network have been inundated with messages from the fans to bring back Toonami. The hash tag #BringBackToonami has been trending on Twitter since and even made it into some of the rhythms laid down by the Otaku King Richie Branson in his "Bring Back Toonami Song".

Let it be known that on this day in history that the anime fans have been heard. Adult Swim posted this on Twitter earlier today,

@adultswim: Attention Toonami Faithful: We heard you. On 05.26.12 #ToonamisBackBitches http://ow.ly/i/D8Rj

You asked for it, and they are delivering. It's over a week away, and we have no idea what the programming will be or the time. That's some pretty short notice for a change in the programming lineup. They are making an effort. You have to give them that. I just hope that all the people who have brought about this change are actually going to be there and staying tuned.

They are facing a lot of stiff challengers in the anime market. Back when Toonami first began, there weren't sites such as Crunchyroll, FUNimation Video, VIZ Anime, and HULU that hosts free and legal streaming anime fresh out of Japan. These distributors also hosts many series with very little edits. Toonami was pretty famous for only airing heavily edited version of popular animes such as OUTLAW STAR and the infamous 4KIDS' version of ONE PIECE. One thing that Toonami really excelled at was just in the number of people they were able to reach and interest in seeing more anime.

If they have some new and exciting programs lined up. I think they'll have my interest. If this will be late night, I'm putting some money down on PANTY & STOCKING being in the mix. Are there any programs you're hoping that they add to their lineup?

-Kristoffer Remmell ( FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ AnimeVicers/ @ FoxxFireArt

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,109 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I seen this going around on Twitter, wasn't sure if it was fake. Good to know it is. Although I don't watch the tv much.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Sooooooo, SOOOOOOOO Happy right now...

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Suspected schedule? Can't link for some reason, so http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interest/2012-05-16/adult-swim-brings-back-toonami-block-starting-on-may-26 )

Not sure if the adult swim anime block is the same as toonami or not. Either way, nothing that interesting.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I'll check it out for nostalgia's sake, but I have no plans to make a habit of the anime block. I have little interest in watching shows in English these days. Yeah, that's snobby of me, but I just prefer the sound of the original Japanese voices especially when I hear them first. Okay, Goku might be the one exception. This isn't a discussion about sub vs dub though, so I'll leave it at that. Really, back before we had the internet, watching anime on TV was the easiest way to feed my habit. I watched DBZ, One Piece, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star and even the few episodes of NGE (I had it on VHS already) when they aired on Toonami.

I don't know what show I'd pick for airing. I guess Fairy Tail would be a good start and in the tradition of previous Toonami line ups. Oh, I'd like to see Cat Planet Cuties added too just to see the censoring. Ah, Melfina...spandex shouldn't be worn when interfacing with a grappler ship.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,775 posts) See mini bio Level 21

NONE of you have ANY idea how freaking excited I am right now! (I'll check it out for nostalgia's sake, but STILL! <3)

Post by takashichea (11,693 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Cool! I need some something to look forward TV. Right now, I'm watching Legend of Korra on Nickelodeon, Batman Beyond on the Hub, and Young Justice on CN with some other non-anime shows. I hope their lineup is good.

Post by LuffyDUzumaki (161 posts) See mini bio Level 9

If anything there should be new shows like Funi's One Piece(You know why),Fairy Tail, Gundam Age, Kenichi,Mira Nikki, HxH 2011, maybe Toriko, and add 2 old shows for nostalgia like Yu Yu Hakusho and Tenchi along with some Young Justice like JL and JLU back in the day.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,228 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I don't really care

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,109 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Is this also returning to the UK?

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Here Cartoon Network was made in to a pay channel in 2002, so even if I wish really hard I still can't watch it. Disney killed Fox Kids after renaming it Jetix. Yorkiddin' is dead, Nickolodeon has been cut in half and still manges to air live-action shows for 60% of the time. Telekids is back but it sucks!

The only positive thing that happened these past 10 years is that Viacom decided to bring back Kindernet, but even so they show nothing in order. I hate Dutch television.

Post by Sonata (35,303 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'll hold back my excitement till I see a line-up.
Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I don't watch TV.

But hey, WOOOOO, at least Anime is popular.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel