Time-Skip season?

Topic started by sceonn on Oct. 11, 2011. Last post by Little_Socrates 2 years, 11 months ago.
Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Every popular shonen is/has done a time skip, is a just a smart way of tweaking the characters and they're power stats? Is what I've come to wondered. Any thoughts?

Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Work as an excuse when the authors are out of ideas

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,284 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Levance:

No, its for advancing the story

Like how Luffy think he was weak and need training before going to the new world

Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19

It is most likely to advance the story but sometimes it could be to surprise the readers with something big

ND

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I think a time-skip allows the authors/studios to start over fresh but still use the basics that have already been established. Most long running stories go from A to B to C to D and so on, but if you jump ahead to J or K, then it's almost as if your back at the beginning again. The writers can now rebuild the characters and make references to things unknown (that which happened during the skip), just as they did in the early stages of the plot line. It restores some flexibility to the creators by providing more story-space to explore.

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

So it's both when they're fresh out and want to go back to point zero, so in the end it is tweaking out the characters and the entire setting/plot as well, or at least to stretch it out

By creating a time skip season, they create new loop holes, ready to be explained. This way they has more material to continue the story. The training or become stronger part is just a cover, if you think logically, no author would want his story to be a copy of other, and well training season or become stronger time skip, are just to common and repeated. Their new toys are the new loop holes created

@Levance:

It just saying time have past not a loop hole

@Destinyheroknight:Yeah, that is exactly, but when the characters are showed again, the junction between past and present must be explained, if is not, it will create a loop hole, by this way, the authors can give more background to their characters, and well, enlarge the story (I believe that almost all authors of shonen had predeterminated the end of the story) In some cses it can also work, to present revelations discovered in the time

@Levance:

They usually say what they did doing there time skip when they come back

Also I notice that it give the author a break

@Destinyheroknight:It doesn't matter if they say or not, here we are debating the why they do that. Yeah, the break also is a good option, howver some authors really take a long break. cough couhg, Hunter X Hunter cough cough

@Levance:

Sorry, I was a little off topic :)

You said Hunter X Hunter is a good shonen, the breaks are probably helping the author to be more fresher. (did Hunter X Hunter have a time skip?) So most time skip are use for breaks or to try to get more readers or viewer (since that what happen with Naruto and DBZ) It can also be use to change the theme of a series (like what happen to Naruto and DBZ)

@Destinyheroknight:Well hunter x hunter had like 5 hiatus, that just appeared in the middle of saga, it wasn't really a time skip, however almost all first half of the sagas are training seasons, but there is no time skip

@Levance:

Five hiatus, that would drive me crazy (Now, I really going to wait until Hunter X Hunter is over to read it)

@Destinyheroknight:If I were you I'll start read it inmediatly, is worthly, but if you are the kind of person that dislikes long scenes of talk, and almost all with technical terms, it may be frustrating. However I like that xD

@Levance:

As long as its enjoyable, I'll like it

But I don't like the story to take long breaks in the middle of a sage

@Destinyheroknight:Yeah, but the saga ended don't worry, actually is recently starting a new saga, and now with the remake of the anime, I don't believe that there will be another hiatus in a very long time, also the author take a whole year break

@Levance:

I guess I'll think about it

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I think they do time skips because they get tired of progressing the story in "real time".

For taking a break, I think they do it for a bunch of reasons including but not limited to

• author illness
  • only having the funding to x amount of episodes properly with the hope that if the show becomes a hit they can come back with even more $$$.
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@PenguinDust said:

I think a time-skip allows the authors/studios to start over fresh but still use the basics that have already been established. Most long running stories go from A to B to C to D and so on, but if you jump ahead to J or K, then it's almost as if your back at the beginning again. The writers can now rebuild the characters and make references to things unknown (that which happened during the skip), just as they did in the early stages of the plot line. It restores some flexibility to the creators by providing more story-space to explore.

I think this is a great explanation. Sort of staring fresh but not loosing it all. Also, moved to General Discussion.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel