Thoughts on Contests

Topic started by gia on Dec. 22, 2008. Last post by GMan 5 years, 10 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
So, we just ran our first contest-- a semi impromptu, very brief, half-experimental sort of contest, as it happened. It went quite well, considering how last-second and short it was, although I was surprised I didn't get more entries by people who brought friends onto the site.

Of course, whatever we do next will have a different format, but I wanted to get some feedback about this one. Was it too difficult or too short, did it need a bigger/better prize, that sort of thing?

I'd also love to hear some ideas from you guys about what sorts of contests you'd like to see run. We tend to favor the kind that mandate some kind of activity on the site (wiki edits, blog posts, forum comments, etc), but I'm pretty open-minded, and I'm sure we'll occasionally have some very easy giveaways as well.

Also, I know a lot of you aren't in the US. If I recall correctly, my sibling sites still allow non-Americans to enter and win prizes-- but they have to agree to take legal responsibility for the item they win being legal to own and send in the mail in their communities, and they also have to cover their own shipping. Obviously we'd love to be able to ship to everyone everywhere, but those international rates REALLY add up.

So! Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns, and suggestions?
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I really thought that it was a neat contest. Too bad I found out about it literally 10 minutes after it was over :(

I thought it was a bit too short, and although it would be hard, actually judging the entries and picking the best one would have been a lot more fair to those who obviously put a lot more effort into it. Maybe a community vote or something?

I'll definately enter the next contest though :)
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I don't have much to comment on. The contest was fine, impromptu ones are the best kind to enter haha. XD I do think contests should run longer as a general rule. The prize was fine and dandy.

I like contests that require at least a bit of thinking. Not necessarily something like Calculus-style of thinking heck no. Riddles would be fun. Any kind of fun thinking is awesome.

There should be weird/fun contests too. Like having to dress up as something and taking a real life picture of it. Cosplaying or doing something ridiculous.

I look forward to more contests. :D
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@ gia:  Shipping internationally shouldn't be an issue.  I've sent items to the Philippines, Peru, Australia and even Canada.  There's not much difference unless you wanted it there immediately.  When I sent a prize to Peru, the post office clerk went through a list of restrictions.  The biggest pain is filling out the customs form which really wasn't a huge deal.
Post by Death_Flame (318 posts) See mini bio Level 3
It's cool you guys have contest. It's nice to have a little interaction :]
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
GMan said:
"@ gia:  Shipping internationally shouldn't be an issue.  I've sent items to the Philippines, Peru, Australia and even Canada.  There's not much difference unless you wanted it there immediately.  When I sent a prize to Peru, the post office clerk went through a list of restrictions.  The biggest pain is filling out the customs form which really wasn't a huge deal."
even to canada xD
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Ha ha.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel