There animes and manga that rely too much on fan service, instead of relying on the quality of the plot. What do you guys think?

Topic started by PredatorPT on Sept. 10, 2010. Last post by DeepThroat 3 years, 11 months ago.
Post by PredatorPT (58 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Fan Service is always welcome.
  • Don't really care for fan service.
  • Don't mind the fan service as long as the plot is good.
  • Fan Service is a big part of anime and manga, removing that would mean losing something that makes anime and manga what they are.
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Beach episodes and Hot spring Episodes are the worst episodes in most Anime.
Post by ssjsuperman (1,661 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I almost never see a anime thats puts fan serves over everything else but i mite just be the animes I have watched.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Their are some anime that focus on fan-service rather then the plot itself, but i find those to be rare. Excessive fan-service is to be expected in genres such as Harem because the series is about the protagonists relationship with multiple beautiful people.  So long as it doesn't subtract from the plot however, i don't see the problem with it.

Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@rein said:
" Their are some anime that focus on fan-service rather then the plot itself, but i find those to be rare. Excessive fan-service is to be expected in genres such as Harem because the series is about the protagonists relationship with multiple beautiful people.  So long as it doesn't subtract from the plot however, i don't see the problem with it. "
I'm on the same boat.  I don't mind it, just don't over use it.
Post by Rokujo (100 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I find that it suits some anime fine, as long as it's not excessive. I'll use High School of the Dead as my example. I was completely put off of this because of the overdone fanservice. That's not to say it's a bad show though. I just feel it kind of takes away the seriousness of the zombie outbreak.
Post by Ronarin (5 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I think anyone who has seen Zero no Tsukaima knows what fanservice can do to a good plot. Unfortunately...
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@rein said:
" Their are some anime that focus on fan-service rather then the plot itself, but i find those to be rare. Excessive fan-service is to be expected in genres such as Harem because the series is about the protagonists relationship with multiple beautiful people.  So long as it doesn't subtract from the plot however, i don't see the problem with it. "
Agreed. But who doesn't love a little fanservice in their ecchi/harem anime?

Move along, folks...nothing to see here but fanservice n_n
 Move along, folks...nothing to see here but fanservice n_n

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,229 posts) See mini bio Level 21

If they don't go overbroad with it
Post by Voxel (179 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Doesn't really matter to me unless there isn't fanservice every 10 seconds or crap like that.
Post by adoggz (210 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Fanservice can get annoying when thrown in shows that I don't expect to have it. However, I kinda expect every show to have some nowadays.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Fan service FTW!   

Post by Sonata (35,308 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@JJOR64 said:
" @rein said:
I'm on the same boat.  I don't mind it, just don't over use it. "
I third this, I feel the same way about it.
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Love me some fanservice as long as the plot continues to be great. High School of the Dead being one, and Seikon No Qwaser would be another. I like the plot of both and the fanservice as welcome as long as I get my plot dinner.

I love these two.. god dammit I love them.. you two are bad.. bad girls! <3
 I love these two.. god dammit I love them.. you two are bad.. bad girls! <3
Post by Ace829 (52 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Ronarin said:
" I think anyone who has seen Zero no Tsukaima knows what fanservice can do to a good plot. Unfortunately... "
Here here.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@rein said:
Pretty much exactly this.  But some other stuff like High School of the Dead seem to just be held back by it (yes, I realize the artist's origins).  Some anime I expect it, and it doesn't bother me.  It's when it is in a genre you just don't expect it in at all that it gets to take away from the plot to some degree.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Chances are any anime that a person doesn't like with fanservice is also going to be an anime they don't like without it.  Bad anime can't be saved by a few panty shots.  Conversely, I personally have never been distracted by a boob jiggle in the middle of a good anime.  Granted I watch mostly comedies, so it's part of the genre.  I've seen 3 seasons of Zero no Tsukaimo and I didn't have a problem with any of the fanservice.  It didn't even become apparent until the 3rd season and then I didn't even notice it until a third of the way through.  I probably have a higher tolerances for these things I guess since I don't get sent into a tizzy over the occasional nipple.  Actually, I usually look forward to hot springs episodes in anime along with summer festival episodes (yukatas!), camping episodes, cooking episodes, school event festivals (let's create a maid-cafe!) and other cliches. 

Sometimes I think people complain too much about insignificant things like this.  I remember once I was reading a forum thread and someone was all pissed off because in some One Piece movie, Nami's breasts were bigger.  How do you even notice such a thing? 
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
dont mind fan service to be honest. i think really heavy fan service shows can be bad. it depends on the genre too. a lot of fan service in comedies is more acceptable
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Oh absolutely, that's one of the reasons why I barely watched any of the series of the last season and will only watch a couple from this season.  Seikon no Qwaser I found completely ridiculous in the sense that it relied on fanservice to move the plot, that to me is rather desperate. 
Post by PredatorPT (58 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@rein: Agreed xD.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel