The Daily Shin Buun 01/18/09

Topic started by gia on Jan. 18, 2009. Last post by Kuro 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Man, it's been a busy day in manga. Don't forget, tomorrow isn't a holiday in Japan. (You American readers DID remember tomorrow is MLK Jr. day, right? 'Cause uh...I didn't until someone told me yesterday. Bad me!)

Anime:

Manga:

Serial Experiments LAIN (designs by Yoshitoshi ABe)
Serial Experiments LAIN (designs by Yoshitoshi ABe)
  • Let's see, the frequently NSFW blog for Icarus Publishing has a few things to say about Diamond's recent increase to the minimum purchase benchmark which will be of interest to those of you following the manga (and perhaps greater comics) industry.
  • Canned Dogs reports that a bunch of doujinshi-ka have had their personal information leaked online, including some names you'll recognize: Yoshitashi ABe and Yun Kouga, for example.
  • Deb Aoki, of manga.about.com, has word on the release of Osamu Tezuka's Swallowing the Earth, which DMP announced last April: it should hit shelves this summer.
  • animeanime! has the nominee list for the 2 annual Manga Taisho Awards, which include some names that you'll recognize: Honey and Clover creator Chika Umino's March Comes In Like A Lion and Hikaru Nakamura's Saint Onii-chan, about Jesus and Buddha living as roommates in modern Japan. The rest of the nominees are: Chuuya Kouyama's Uchuu Kyoudai, Yarou Abe's Shinya Shokudou, Makoto Kobayashi's Seishun Shounen Magazine, Yuki Suetsugu's Chihayafuru, Katsutoshi Kawai's Tomehane! Suzuri Koukou Shodoubu, Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's Toriko, Akiko Higashimura's Mama wa Tenpurist, and Kubo Yasuhisa's Yondemasu yo, Azazeru-san.
  • Finally, on a sad note, Kadokawa has suspended publication of the bi-weekly Comic Charge due to slumping sales in the industry. It's kind of a shame, since the magazine just launched in March '07...

Music:

• JapanFiles continues their campaign to dominate my inbox with a new announcement: they've just launched the Osaka-based hard rock band RAMPANT's first full album, “Chain of Life,” which is pretty groovy. And by groovy I mean it's rockin'.
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu-Gi-Oh!

Games:

• The word never ceases on the Upper Deck/Konami fight over Yu-Gi-Oh!'s card games: now Upper Deck says that they won't be releasing the scheduled Crimson Crisis packs because Konami hasn't delivered the goods. To which Konami is surely saying: “well, duh, we terminated you guys as our distributor.” Mm, drama.

Cons:

I know a bunch of you guys will have tomorrow off, but don't worry, I'm not taking a holiday-- I'll be right here!

Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I HAVE TO MAKE IT TO MATSURI NOW
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel