The Anonymous Takeover Continues

Topic started by gia on March 19, 2009. Last post by lordhaseo 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

The anonymi of 4chan are no doubt rejoicing: their leader...no, that doesn't sound quite right. But the creator of the popular message board, moot, is in the running to be one of TIME Magazine's top 100 most influential people of 2009.

Now, in my experience, if properly motivated, anonytypes can organize and push an agenda like, say, voting moot up like crazy. On the other hand, residents of 4chan are notoriously willing to dismiss, mock, and/or rant about the awfulness of their Internet home.

So what do you think? Would you give moot a high ranking of influence, or low? He currently has an average of 76, which isn't bad at all...

Post by IcyStorm (9 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Well, a smart anon would not vote him up because moar publicity would mean more visitors, which means 4chan would be plagued with moar fail.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
True enough. And yet anonymous, the hivemind, DOES crave attention.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I certainly voted for him. Also, Internet culture would be completely different with out him.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I voted for him! He deserves it imo.

Post by omo (113 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I was talking with a friend just now before I read this post, and we were talking about how Creepy-chan is making her way through America's Next Top Model.

I think just by the fact that thanks to 4chan we could have that conversation means someone out there deserves some props. It is just so lols.
Post by NovidAnon (82 posts) See mini bio Level 6
:) 

And Boy do I ever...
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I believe he should be on the list. There are so many anonymous people on 4chan that take the site to heart.
Frankly, the memes and such are so integrated in places outside of the Internet (*gasps* IRL) that he is a very important figure to a lot of people. In convention halls, you'll see a random convention goer screaming "I've lost the game!" and other such nonsense despite not knowing about 4chan.

The power of anonymous is quite awesome/amazing and we have to thank moot for that.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
It isn't moot personally that's influential, just his collective spawn. Still, I would vote for moot. For the lulz.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I voted maybe 40 times now.
Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Even if he does win, I have a feeling TIME is going to disqualify him anyway. After all, the final decision is up to them.

Still, even more shocking is how RAAAAAAIIIIIINNN is in second place right now.
Post by MoonStorm (360 posts) See mini bio Level 9
This is epic win. Up-vote
Post by AleM (38 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I don't know If you can consider him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. 4chan is not very known wordlwide, so... No, I don't think so.
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Hell Yes! I voted for him. He himself may not have created all that comes from 4chan, but just for creating that internet think-tank of epic proportions he deserves at least something high on the list.
Post by WillyFourEyes (29 posts) See mini bio Level 5
But if they become TIME's Person of the year, they wouldn't be Anonymous anymore, would they?
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Heh, that'd be hilarious...if Anonymous got Time's #1 slot...

"Who won?"
"I dunno!"
Post by lordhaseo (2,509 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel