So what do you think of Toonamis new lineup?

Topic started by LuffyDUzumaki on May 21, 2012. Last post by LifeByDegrees 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by LuffyDUzumaki (161 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Heres the lineup not much but its a start http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82440

12am Bleach

12:30 Deadman Wonderland

1:00 Cassern Sins

1:30 FMA Brotherhood

2:00 Ghost in The Shell

2:30 Cowboy Bebop

And then as usual a repeat..

Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Thank you for the low-effort posting.

To sum up the link posted in the OP: the dubbed versions of Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins are being added to the lineup, while Cartoon Network is being very miserly with its support. Yay, I guess? Jason DeMarco's twitter is currently being bombarded with cries of "WHY CAN'T YOU PLAY [show x]? I LIKE [show x]" But he did post some interesting tidbits:

- We will not be showing Naruto, DBZ, etc for now. The rights to those shows are owned by our competition or are out of our price range.

- SPEAKING OF WHICH: Something you should know about THIS Toonami: We have very,very little $. This experiment will need ratings success..

- ..to receive more funding for new shows, more Tom animation, etc. I'm thankful for the $ we've gotten, but it isn't a lot.

- TOM: Will be voiced as always by Steve Blum. Who is doing it for love. Just like we are. Tom will be an updated hi-res version of Tom 3.0.

- The Absolution will be a slightly different but almost identical version of the one from the Tom 3.0 era as well.

- There will be no SARA for now. She costs too much to make. But if we can bring her back, we sure will.

- We will try to have some new content each week- game reviews, music videos, content pieces etc. As much as we can afford and make.

- Music: Music will come from a number of places: Ghostly, Warp Records, Victory Records, Now Again records, as well as...

- ..friends of ours like @therealelp, @flyinglotus, Chris Devoe, Ben Burton, and many others. No, we won't be using JBV.

- Peter Cullen will NOT be the voice of the promos. He's busy with Transformers and Eeyore and doesn't do many promos. Love you Peter!

- Lastly, just want to say thank you to all who have supported and brought it back. If you can KEEP supporting us, we will have more $...

Guess it'll be up to the fans to see if they can swallow the crap sandwich and give CN enough ratings to justify spending more on the block, or if they stay on their torrents and streams and let the thing wither and die.

@DocHaus: lol im guessing your not a fan of Toonamis Resurrection.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,188 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Sigh, Toonami isn't going to work because of the Internet and the time slot. I believe it will stay for a month or two and disappear, nostalgia can only get you so far

@Destinyheroknight:  Thats just the thing though when people think of Toonami & Nostalgia they think of Yu Yu hakusho, Gundam Wing, and DBZ which means even more people will be disappointed. Yeah that timeslot will probably be the death of this block.

@LuffyDUzumaki: Not a matter of me being a fan of Toonami or not. I just see this as a rebranding experiment fueled by misplaced nostalgia, and the execs at Cartoon Network seem to be treating it as such until/unless they get enough eyeballs watching the tube to prove otherwise. I'm not so confident that the twitter people will actually watch the new-ish Toonami block, considering reruns of Family Guy (ugh), American Dad and Robot Chicken regularly beat out anime and other non-anime shows on [adult swim] in ratings.

Also, I admit I'm not really a fan of the anime version of Deadman Wonderland. Casshern Sins is...okay.

Online Now

@LuffyDUzumaki:

The problem is that no one will be watching Toonami for the anime, since people have already watch those anime before and probably have them on DVD. (heck, I own all of the anime you just name) For the "new" shows in the line up, they all are easy to watch online. The nostalgia is about Tom, but that will only carry it so far. If they want Toonami to work, they need to air new shows that isn't online

Post by Bigheart711 (3,707 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I think the lineup is okay, but I don't think all of it's been finalized yet (note me if I'm wrong, though). Casshern Sins sounds very interesting, but I've heard mixed reviews about Deadman Wonderland though. Toonami does need more interesting stuff, but for now, a lot of viewers are going to need to tune in in order for the block to expand on their budget and make more money.

Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24

A few thoughts

Toonami In General

I was always curious as to what the hype was because to me, they just rebranded the current anime timeslot to Toonami. That seems to definitely have been the case. The only highlights that apply to Toonami specifically and not the previous anime block are Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins. Everything else... I haven't watched [as] regularly since like 2004. They have 6 shows. Two are new to the network and one has new episodes. 1 series is a 20-something episode show they've been airing like non-stop since at least 2001. Another is a 20 something episode show they've been airing since at least 2005. Another is a remake of a show they were airing back in 2005 and has already had a complete run. 2/3 of the shows are series that they were already airing in this timeslot before the rebranding. It's hard for me to be amped about this.

Deadman Wonderland

This seems like a good pick up. It's violent, dark, and serious yet bordering on goofy at times so it's never overly depressing or too emo (although the main guy is pretty whiny). Additionally, and more important, Toonami will be the only place you can watch dubbed episodes of it. There won't be any other options or legal outlets for viewing it. I imagine that the BD/DVD will be released after the final episode airs and Funi benefits from the broadcast in sales and Toonami benefits from exclusive content.

Casshern Sins

I don't understand this one. I think it's a decent enough fit in the line-up with it being action and artsy fartsy at the same time. It being action yet more than just action makes me think that it's filling a role similar to Evangelion back when they aired that. What makes no sense to me is that unlike Deadman, there is no exclusivity. This show has been available dubbed and in HD on disc for years and is currently streaming dubbed and in HD on Netflix. I don't understand what's going to draw people to watch it week-by-week for a half year broadcast when they can just plop down on their couch and watch the whole thing on Netflix whenever they want to. It seems like a huge win for Funi since maybe they'll pick up some BD sales but I don't see how it benefits Toonami to air this. I can't imagine the ratings being good for it. It'd be like the latest Game of Thrones season being on BD/DVD/Netflix years before you can watch it on HBO and even during the HBO broadcast it's still on Netflix/BD/DVD. This really puzzles me when Cartoon Network is quoted as saying

This experiment will need ratings success

Casshern Sins seems like a guaranteed way not to have good ratings rather than a plan for it.

Overall

It like the same old thing they've always done but with one 100% new show and another "new" show that's years old and has been available dubbed and in HD years prior to it running on Toonami. I wish them the best of luck though. I think they need more variety though, but I don't know how that's possible these days. Whatever made is possible in the early to mid 2000s doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Post by Sonata (35,223 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Why do  I get the Michael Jordan coming out of retirement and playing for the Wizards vibe to this lineup. People were blinded by nostalgia here nothing more.  The way things are now with internet you can watch anything you want from Japan, a block like Toonami feels Jurassic.  I always thought it was pretty silly for people on the internet begging and pleading for Toonami's return. People doing that now would be like me over 10 years ago with a dial up modem begging FOX to bring back the 1995 FOX Kids Summer Blast Block. The times buried that, The times buried Toonami, and The times will soon bury this incarnation of Toonami.
Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Sonata said:

...the times buried Toonami, and The times will soon bury this incarnation of Toonami.

I think Toonami will be around for a while. The Saturday night anime block never left and that's all this Toonami is.

@sickVisionz: That's what makes it more pathetic.

@Sonata said:

Why do I get the Michael Jordan coming out of retirement and playing for the Wizards vibe to this lineup.

Could be worse. Have you seen Michael Jordan as a manager? His Bobcats somehow managed to be even worse than the Wizards in this truncated season. That takes some serious effort.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,509 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Online Now

some of the old schools.... NOT DBZK... though

@DocHaus said:

@Sonata said:

Why do I get the Michael Jordan coming out of retirement and playing for the Wizards vibe to this lineup.

Could be worse. Have you seen Michael Jordan as a manager? His Bobcats somehow managed to be even worse than the Wizards in this truncated season. That takes some serious effort.

Truth, and the season was shorten because of the lockout. Imagine their record if they played a full 82 games. 
Post by linainverselover (10 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Destinyheroknight said:

@LuffyDUzumaki:

The problem is that no one will be watching Toonami for the anime, since people have already watch those anime before and probably have them on DVD. (heck, I own all of the anime you just name) For the "new" shows in the line up, they all are easy to watch online. The nostalgia is about Tom, but that will only carry it so far. If they want Toonami to work, they need to air new shows that isn't online

some people have limited internet though per month and having a way to like test run a anime on tv first would be a plus for them as well since if they don't like it they don't need to use their limited internet on it though.

i for one have unlimited so doesn't directly affect me...but i am kinda disappointed more changes to the lineup didn't happen..will probably give Deadman Wonderland a shot though since haven't watched it yet

Online Now

@linainverselover:

some people have limited internet though per month and having a way to like test run a anime on tv first would be a plus for them as well since if they don't like it they don't need to use their limited internet on it though.

But the Deadman Wonderland have been out for a year. The person who have the limited internet, probably have already watch it

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,641 posts) See mini bio Level 13

You're really lucky up there in the north! Down south there arent any channels that show anime T-T

I want a Mexican-translated Casshern Sins T-T!!!! (The Mexicans do the best latin-american translations, such as Saint Seiya and DBZ)

Post by linainverselover (10 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Destinyheroknight said:

@linainverselover:

But the Deadman Wonderland have been out for a year. The person who have the limited internet, probably have already watch it

not everyone would watch something asap though and it really depends on how high a priority it has with the given person and how often they watch anime as a whole.while yes i'm sure a good amount have already watched it but i'm also sure a lot of people haven't yet due focusing on other anime or else maybe didn't want to use the HD space for it yet(for those who download anyway). also for your "isn't online" statement...the majority of anime are subbed online someplace though except rather old series for the most part(especially that would fit in adultswim's lineup) and they wouldn't take the chance to dub some random anime from the 90's or later(where most of the unsubbed/undubbed anime are) to put it on TV

Post by Dream (7,259 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

Still feel quite indifferent over the Toonami revival. As others have discussed, enough folks can get their anime from online nowadays and the block's revival seems more fueled by nostalgia than genuine interest in more anime. Even with the new shows, none of the older titles from the block are on it and the Toonami return looks to be window dressing for the typical Adult Swim Saturday night block, only the last three hours can now be used as a repeat airing instead of airing older Adult Swim shows.

Some folks may think of me being nitpicky over the matter. But considering I could care less about anime airing on TV for years due to my exposure to the Internet and my growing collection, anime on TV is just no longer feasible nowadays in my book unless it is geared for younger audiences.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel