Side Projects: Knitting, Cooking, NaNoWriMo

Topic started by gia on Aug. 30, 2009. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 10 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Since launching Anime Vice, I haven't had a lot of time for my own personal side projects-- most of which involve crafting of some kind, cooking, or writing, although I never know what I'll come up with next.

But now that I've got GodLen and John helping me out on the site and the anime convention season is over, even in the midst of packing up for my move I'm getting mentally prepared to have a little more time each day to devote to my side projects. I thought I'd talk a bit about them <3

Arts and Crafts

TTGL patch
TTGL patch
A while ago I taught myself how do to "knitting pictures" (aka Intarsia), and even managed to knit some patches featuring the Gurren Lagann Gurren-dan logo (you may remember seeing one such patch amidst the prizes for the spring giveaway). For this fall/winter, I'm going to knit scarves for a few friends (and myself) with the logo. <3

Cooking

So much to do here, and so much will depend on what kind of kitchen I manage to wind up with! I do want to put together a video with one of the recipes from Vertical's Bento Love cookbook. I've had a couple of less-unhealthy cookie recipes I want to try out also, as well as that cool peanut flank steak recipe I've been holding on to for aaaages. @_@;

Also, homemade pocky. <3

Writing

It's been a couple of years since I did (or more accurately, tried to do) NaNoWriMo, but I think this year I might be back on track for it, since I'll be settled in California by then, and as a bonus, I won't be traveling for Thanksgiving! I've got a light sci-fi project I've been mulling over for a while. I'm pulling together all of the character/setting info and trying to hammer out the plot so I'm ready when November comes :)

Anyone else out there doing NaNoWriMo?
Post by CalAggie (63 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I'm considering doing it this year. Last time I tried was 3 years ago and that effort stagnated a week in.
Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18
You're trying to do NaNoWriMo? Well, if you've got the discipline to write the equivalent of 7-8 (double-spaced) pages a day in Word, then good luck to ya. I've tried it before a couple of times, and the closest I got to finishing was about 10,000 words. I'll probably do it this year to, and I'll probably fall short of the goal, but at least I can get out some original fiction that I would otherwise procrastinate about.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@DocHaus: it's 1,667 words per day. I write about that many (often more, occasionally less) for this site every day! ;)
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I'm going to try it this year for the first time. I have lots of papers stashed in a folder of not failed but stunted writings from previous summers. Hopefully, the academy hasn't squashed all of my creativity. I have yet to finish knitting a whole scarf; I take that back, I finished knitting it, but some reason the end didn't come off right and it began to unravel.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You silly non-play writers. My one produced play caps out at 4317 words (counting foreword), and my largest is a slightly incomplete 2 act is at 14,598. So, like, your silly novel month would eat my word count for breakfast, and I spent weeks/months working on those.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel