Should Power Levels be used for powerscailing?

Topic started by othus12 on Feb. 11, 2014. Last post by GrayWolf2 2 months ago.
Post by othus12 (6,905 posts) See mini bio Level 13

im gonna put into question some of the things that i find weird about PL. if you have an answer for these questions feel free to post it below!

1.-what's the minimum PL required to moon bust?

2.- what's the minimum PL required to planet bust?

3.- are those PL proportional to the size of the object? (earth is 50 times bigger, you would need 50 times more PL according to logic)

4.- going by a proportional scale: is Frieza a solar system buster? if you think so answer the next question, if not skip.

5.-why frieza couldnt one shot namek when the required power level to destroy earth is no more than 10,000?

6.- is namek 100 times bigger than earth? even if frieza held back according to his PL he should have blown it to nothing even with the 1% of his PL. explain this fallacy.

9.- why can krilin at a PL of 75,000 can cut frieza at a PL of 120,000,000?

10.- how does PL take into account special abilities like time stop, breathing in space,lifting strenght,speed,DC, and h2h skills?

11.- why should power levels be used instead of feats? (goku defeating frieza makes him a planet buster. but why should it make him multi solar system level?) elaborate.

Post by Dream (7,681 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Power levels are kind of worthless in scaling a character's power since they were just there in DBZ to hype up a character's fighting power whenever they got a boost, especially considering they got ditched after Mecha Frieza got offed by Future Trunks.

Post by nishi99 (1,710 posts) See mini bio Level 11

In DBZ power levels are everything. It's just that DBZ can be inconsistent with them. For instance EOS Yajirobe having a way higher PL then Roshi. However if we going by the feats and statements you need a PL of 200 to bust a moon and a PL of 18,000 to bust a planet. As for Krillin he has destructo disk which can cut anybody, and Frieza said he could have busted the planet right away but he wanted to fight Goku instead.

@nishi99: As for Krillin he has destructo disk which can cut anybody

NLF. cell tanked it. explain how's that possible.

you need a PL of 200 to bust a moon and a PL of 18,000 to bust a planet.

another incoherence. the earth is only 50 times the size of the moon. why would you need a ki almost 100 times bigger?

Frieza said he could have busted the planet right away but he wanted to fight Goku instead.

not true. he used his best technique to destroy the planet and then he said. guess i went too easy on it. but as i said. even if frieza had used 1% of his ki the planet should have been instantly destroyed. and i dont think this is 1%:

unless you think the ki blasts he used to attack goku were made with the 0.1% of his power.

In DBZ power levels are everything.

no, they are not. they are useless and unreliable. we can go from showings just fine. planet level should start at frieza and not before unless you think frieza's restrained death ball (with the intention to planet bust) was weaker than vegeta's garlik gun.

Post by takashichea (12,428 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@othus12:

I'll add this to the Facts and Feats community project. Good job on making this a valuable discussion thread.

Post by Vapovile (2,002 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Power levels are worthless. Their only purpose was to hype up the next villain, and even that got ditched after the Namek arc. In the words of Team Four Star;

@othus12:

1. Well almost anybody can be cut by Destructo Disk. Once DBZ got up to Cell and SSJ2 Gohan it didn't work anymore. It's also why everybody was surprised when they saw Gohan catch two with his bare hands.

2. It might be possible to bust a planet with a lower power level, it's just that Vegeta was the first stated to be a planetary threat.

3. Frieza did say he could bust the planet with ease. It's just that Frieza is more sadistic then his father.

4. Their not going to blow planets every time they fight. I know it's not realistic but it happens all the time in comics,movies & books.

5. Showings are not just fine. If we go just by feats then Frieza would be stronger then the Androids and Cell.

Post by phantomrant (1,357 posts) See mini bio Level 10

DBZ power levels only measure the amount of ki, which has some, but not a lot of correlation with destructive power. Everything else requires skill, control, and whether you have the technique in the first place.

YYH power levels are a bit better. Their power levels constitute of 4 different things, all of which directly relates to attack power and durability.

im gonna have to say i dont find your explanations satisfying. for the following reasons:

@nishi99: Well almost anybody can be cut by Destructo Disk. Once DBZ got up to Cell and SSJ2 Gohan it didn't work anymore. It's also why everybody was surprised when they saw Gohan catch two with his bare hands.

that just shows the technique was powerful but it doesnt say why. the point is: you dont need to have a higher PL to kill people stronger than you.

It might be possible to bust a planet with a lower power level, it's just that Vegeta was the first stated to be a planetary threat.

yeah it might be? how come vegeta needs to charge a full garlik gun to planet bust? btw he never planet busted. and TBH i dont think he could have considering frieza.

Frieza did say he could bust the planet with ease. It's just that Frieza is more sadistic then his father.

different time different moment. frieza is arrogant and cocky, he did a non planet busting feat to prove he was a planet buster? besides we dont know the size of planet vegeta.. for all we know it could have been just a little bigger than the moon.

when he decided to planet bust he was intimidated by goku as a super saiyan so he decided to win via BFR. check the scan.

Showings are not just fine. If we go just by feats then Frieza would be stronger then the Androids and Cell.

wrong. take this example: lets say i dont know the power levels but i watched trunks fight with frieza AND vegeta's fight with 18.

i know frieza is a planet buster. but i also know he is inferior at 100% to a super saiyan. watching 18 kicking vegetas ass would make me go by logic stating the following:

18>super saiyan>frieza

notice how i got it right? even without power levels.

however if we used power levels it would come like this

18>>>>>>>SS>>>>>frieza

there is no need for such gap when the characters havent proved themselves. that's lazy wrting and contradictory.

as i said power levels have no utility and they are wayy too relative to be taken into account.

@phantomrant: what do you think about the idea that the higher PL the faster you are? people argument this many times and that's why some characters end up having 4-5 times the speed of light.

however its been proven that PL is not related to speed (burter vs jeice case). what would be your take on that?

@takashichea: thanks taka!

@othus12:

1. Destructo Disk is the only technique we have seen that can cut through almost anybody. Meaning it's special somehow and you still need to be stronger then you're opponent. But i agree that there should be a better explanation for why the Destructo Disk is special.

2. It's been heavily hinted that Vegeta could busted the planet. Also King Vegeta busted three Planets with one attack.

3. Frieza blow up Planet Vegeta with ease in his first from, i highly doubt It was moon size it would need to be a dwarf planet for that to be true.

4.18>>>>>>>SS>>>>>Frieza this is true. 18 beat Vegeta and Trunks like they were nothing.

@nishi99:

1.- still, no explanation nor logic if we go by PL. i guess we both agree on that.

2.-im pretty sure that was filler

3.-for all we know it could have been a dwarf planet. specially since namek wasnt insta-busted by frieza final form.

4.-i disagree. vegeta did put up a fight. and trunks only has to be 1/2 times stronger to stomp frieza. in fact there is nothing that suggests trunks is 6 times stronger than frieza.

Post by ImDictatorBowDown (1,928 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@othus12:

for all we know it could have been a dwarf planet. specially since namek wasnt insta-busted by frieza final form.

Well to be fair Planet Vegeta was stated to have at least 10x Earth's gravity, which implies either large mass or density.

@othus12:

1. Yep DBZ BS at it's finest.

2. Even if the King Vegeta feat was filler, you still got plenty of times Vegeta was stated to be a planetary threat. Also the reason Vegeta charged a full Garlik Gun is because he had to kill Goku first.

3. Dwarf planets are kind of rare in a inner solar system, so that's why i doubt It was moon size. Plus it looked the same size as the earth in DBZ. Also Toriyama couldn't have let Frieza bust the planet because everybody would have died even Goku.

4. She was toying with him remember? As soon as she got serious Vegeta's arm was broken and Trunks was one shotted with his sword at the same time. Meaning this time the power levels were accurate. But i can see why you think their BS a lot of times.

Post by phantomrant (1,357 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@othus12 said:

@phantomrant: what do you think about the idea that the higher PL the faster you are? people argument this many times and that's why some characters end up having 4-5 times the speed of light.

however its been proven that PL is not related to speed (burter vs jeice case). what would be your take on that?

mhm idk. Probably not since using ki to enhance yer speed is more of a skill-based thing. If people with higher PLs can react/keep up with similarly high Pls, then that'd more likely to be a trend rather than a correlation.

Post by LHWKnight (2,735 posts) See mini bio Level 12

well if you ever seen hyakka ryouran samurai girls they power levels are in the 50 millions and yet they are not DbZ level.

@LHWKnight: im just talking about dragon ball's "power level" other series might handle themselves differently lol

@othus12: no I like to just point that out so that people can get a good laugh or something

@LHWKnight: what's the name of that anime though? i would like to know just for research purposes XD

@othus12: Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel