Hello everyone, I'm Taka, your neighborhood wiki editor. In this blog, I'll share my experiences getting into One Piece and Toriko from a Fairy Tail fan's perspective and tell you whether you should or should not try these two Shonen series if you're unfamiliar with it.
How I got into One Piece and Toriko?
I got into One Piece back in Summer 2012 while I got into Toriko back in November 2013 because I saw a lot of folks talking about it. In One Piece's case, DestinyHeroKnight and ShadowKnight508 were the ones who pushed me into One Piece. For Toriko, I got interested because of Taichokage, Othus12, SpeedForceSpider, and the rest of the battle gang.
Note: I hit my word limit for the blog''s title.
Should FT fans Get Into One Piece?
One Piece by Eiichiro Oda
Monkey D. Luffy refuses to let anyone or anything stand in the way of his quest to become king of all pirates. With a course charted for the treacherous waters of the Grand Line, this is one captain who’ll never drop anchor until he’s claimed the greatest treasure on Earth – the Legendary One Piece!
Yes, most fans will get into One Piece because there is so many similarities. It's a lot easier to transition into One Piece from Fairy Tail because of the similarities. Here is a brief list of what these two franchises share in common.
Luffy's crew and Natsu's Fairy Tail guild gets into trouble with the law. Both sides fight for their Nakama and time skips. The differences are that One Piece is about the exploration and fight towards their dreams. Fairy Tail doesn't really have a goal. It seems like an endless adventure with evil guilds and groups who messes with Fairy Tail guild. For Natsu, he was searching for his father, Igneel, in episode 1. It never pops up again. Both series are warm hearted and funny, but One Piece's fight scenes have some blood, and it isn't afraid of showing people dying, both manga and anime. Fairy Tail's anime is bloodless compared to its manga.
I posted this table in DestinyHeroKnight's I prefer One Piece over Fairy Tail a long time ago.
|One Piece||Similarities and Differences||Fairy Tail|
Quick Breakdown of One Piece
For Fairy Tail fans, you should try One Piece out. I quickly list some pros and cons.
- Different Style of Humor
- A wealth of characters that have quirks (such as laughter Saul's Dereshi and that Amazon's Za za za)
- Origin Stories are pretty deep
- Characters die permanently or stay dead in One Piece. You will shed a tear or at least sympathize with the characters. Fairy Tail is too soft with its character deaths (with the exception of Simon and the others). I got angry at Fairy Tail for bringing back one character (L****a) and never expand her relationship with one character.
- One Piece capitalizes on exploration than Fairy Tail.
- Fight Scenes - One Piece's longer for sure. The quality of the fight between the two series depends on the fan's tastes. If you want serious fights, One Piece and Fairy Tail will disappoint you. There are comedic moments where the good guys and enemies fool around. I notice that fans hate Sting's fight with Erza's Fairy Tail group because it ended without much resistance. One Piece's fights go all out.
- Story arcs in One Piece are way longer than Fairy Tail's (might be a hit or miss for fans who prefer shorter arcs)
- Fan Service - Fairy Tail has more T & A than One Piece until the time skip in One Piece. However, Fairy Tail went full on nudity with Lucy and the gang, more hot spring and beach scenes. Fairy Tail is quite liberal with clothing damage than One Piece. Lucy's clothes fall apart faster than Nami during battle.
- No Lolis and Other Fetishes - I don't think One Piece has girls like Wendy Marvell. Fairy Tail caters to a wide variety of fetishes than One Piece. One Piece (after time skip) emphasizes on boobs. Fairy Tail got boobs, pettanko, maids, waitresses, and megane.
- Fillers - It's hard to say. Fairy Tail had a huge filler arc at the end before the tournament arc. Fairy Tail doesn't do flashback fillers. I remember in Water Seven, One Piece did a few episodes that recap the Straw Hat crew's struggles.
- Romance - You definitely have some shipping in both series. For One Piece, it's mostly unrequited love between Boa and Luffy. In Fairy Tail's case, part of the fun is with the cast who can be shipped and teased in many ways. Fairy Tail has more romance in it than One Piece.
Should FT Fans Try Toriko?
Toriko by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro
The world is full of deliciously deadly ingredients that the wealthiest appetites in existence can't wait to devour. Toriko, the legendary Gourmet Hunter, is ready and willing to track down the rarest animals on the planet and put them on a plate!
Toriko is a different Shonen beast. Like One Piece, Toriko is about exploration with an emphasis on food. When I first read the premise, I was puzzled on how a show can be all about hunting the best ingredients and filling out one's Full Course Menu. A Full Course Menu is a Gourmet Hunter's dream menu. I admit it was awkward getting into Toriko, but I enjoyed it after reading the first few chapters. For the characters, One Piece and Fairy Tail's characters start off weak. For Toriko, I believe they start off strong. Toriko is well known due to his Four Heavenly King reputation I haven't read past chapter 80 or so, the Century Soup Arc. I might be wrong.
Quick Break on Toriko
- Fight Scenes are pretty great and brief. Since I haven't got far in Toriko, I can't really confirm if Fairy Tail's fights are longer or shorter than Toriko's. The fights in Toriko are like One Piece. Characters will use their wits and their abilities to beat their enemies rather than powering up like in Natsu Dragneel's case.
- A compassionate, weak character who is a Dude in Distress - Komatsu was one interesting side character. He remind me of Manta Oyamada (Shaman King) more than Krillin of DBZ. Fairy Tail does have weak characters, but they're not a key supporting character.
- Toriko isn't sexist - I could be wrong here since Othus12 and the gang told me Tina was a damsel. I haven't watch past episode 10 in the anime. Since Fairy Tail has more girls, Lucy and some of the gals were damsels. Toriko actually had Komatsu do a bit of gender reversal role. Toriko doesn't rely on sex appeal for its audience. It's worth noting it. One Piece's Time Skip went with the fan service route, Nami, Boa, and Nico.
- Story arcs - Fairy Tail and Toriko's are roughly the same length up to the part where I left off, but I could be wrong here.
- Toriko has more bromance than Fairy Tail.
- Fan Service - In this current era of anime, I'm surprised that Toriko has a huge male cast just like Dragon Ball Z. Most anime series you see out there have a cute gal who tags along with the male hero (IE: Ichigo and Rukia, Natsu and Lucy, and most harem series). Though, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball manage to deliver fan service and beautiful women. Being left off at the Century Soup Arc with 80 chapters in, Rin is the only predominant female character. For the anime, they introduce Tina. It depends on your tastes. Most Fairy Tail fans I know love T & A (some don't admit it, but I know they do), so most of them will find Toriko disappointing in this section.
- Fillers - I leave this blank for Toriko fans.
- Lack of Romance - I haven't seen much love. Fairy Tail's romantic relationships are fun to watch. Fans would ship characters. When I got into Toriko, the only person shipped was Rin and Toriko. Though, Toriko is like Goku and Luffy. Plus, Rin doesn't have much of a spotlight. It's hard to root for Rin.
I do want to make a table for Toriko and Fairy Tail's characters, but there isn't much similarities and not enough girls on Toriko's side.
Thank everyone for reading this blog. I hope you enjoy Toriko and One Piece. Feel free to drop a comment or a correction (since I wasn't far into Toriko).
|Toriko||Similarities and Differences||Fairy Tail|