Shōjo Weekly: The Beginning?

Topic started by ScarletKittie on Feb. 11, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by ScarletKittie (131 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I had a brief conversation this week concerning female-oriented content on the site and it inspired me. A result is an experiment I like to call Shōjo Weekly. Each week I plan to highlight an anime and/or manga that is either geared towards women or has become popular with women if it wasn't initially categorized as shōjo or josei (Chobits comes to mind). I hope to review a wide range of genres, but I will need your help! I would love suggestions so that I may expand my database for the weekly highlight.

Please let me know what you think of the idea. I hope to get the first one up sometime this week and would appreciate critique from the members of the site. I don't claim to be a good writer, so I'm sure there will be flaws, but I hope to improve as time goes by.

Thanks for reading this and please comment! I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this planned experiment.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,662 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I thought of it as an interesting idea because I happen to be a fan of a number of shoujo/josei anime and manga that I saw/read. Good luck on writing your articles, though.

Post by takashichea (10,603 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

You got my support, Scarlet Kittie. I tend to read my sister's manga when I got nothing to read. I got into Black Butler and Hetalia World Axis because of her.

Welcome aboard to the weekly blog frenzy! I'll come up with suggestions and ask my little sister soon. Good luck Scarlet Kittie!

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

Other supporter here, often i found Shoujo/Josei titles more interesting than those shonen aimed at boys. I am also an avid noitamina fan which was full of some good examples in its earlier stage. Good luck with it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Go for it! Shoujo and Josei is woefully under represented on the site compared to it's popularity in US fandom. I think the content would be welcomed.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Sounds like a good idea to me. I am always on the look out for good anime regardless of its intended audience. It's my understanding that Ranma 1/2 isn't considered a shoujo but became more popular with women than men. Not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for or not. Anyway, I look forward to your impressions.

Online Now

@ScarletKittie:

I remember going through your wiki submissions for that Wiki Editor Archive 2011. Your wiki projects doesn't have a single thread on them.

You should add them to your weekly coverage, Gokusen and Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, despite that they aren't not Shojo. Your detailed wiki work needs to be spotlighted.

Online Now

@ScarletKittie:

Well, since my little sister introduced me to manga in the first place, I asked her about shoujo manga titles that she liked. She recommends Fruits Basket (And Black Butler and Hetalia, but I mentioned that already). And then there are some more obscure ones like: Pearl Pink, Library Wars, Penguin Revolution, and Land of the Blindfolded. I also like Alice in the Country of Hearts.

Post by matti00 (28 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Sounds like a good idea, I'm much more of a fan of shojo and josei than shonen. Would you be looking to cover older stuff, or to highlight newer stuff when it comes out too?
Post by ScarletKittie (131 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@sickVisionz: @shels: @Bigheart711: Thanks for your input and support! I hope not to disappoint!

@PenguinDust

: Thanks for your input! And, yes, series like Ranma 1/2 are some of the things I'm looking to do.

@takashichea

: Thanks for the support and suggestions! I'll definitely look into them. Also, I'll think about highlighting Loki and Gokusen since they have gotten themselves a bit of a female fan following.

@matti00: I was hoping to do both older and newer stuff. Chances are there will be a greater amount of older stuff because those happen to be what I've read, but I'm always willing to do newer and/or ongoing series as well.
Online Now

It's cool! Looks like I have to add those manga series for my little sister, Pearl Pink, Penguin Revolution, and Land of the Blindfolded. Do a bit of researching.

I'll cover Alice in the Country of Hearts and Hamtaro since I cover too much shonen titles. My sister used to dig that hamster show.

Nice list, ScarletKittie!

Hey Superevil225! Do you have any suggestions for this lovely project by ScarletKittie?

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Sounds good, I have enjoyed many a Shojo title despite not being the intended audience and I'm always on the lookout for something to watch.

@ScarletKittie said:

or has become popular with women if it wasn't initially categorized as shōjo or josei (Chobits comes to mind).

I think this sounds particularly interesting. I've never thought that anime genres are very representative, especially shojo/josei and shonen/seinen.

Post by Sonata (35,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I loved the idea, I believe it will be a success:)
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@takashichea: @ScarletKittie: I think it sounds really good.

I think it would be cool if certain titles are questioned for being shounen vs. shoujo. Sort of how No. 6 was originally listed as shounen but obviously isn't, and how Tiger and Bunny is Seinen but you'd be surprised the massive female following.

Online Now

Fushigi Yugi and Shakugan no Shana add some action for variety since most Shojo shows tend to center around romance, teen angst, school, and comedy. If you're looking for dark Shojo, Descendants of Darkness would be good.

• Fushigi Yugi is about a Miaka who discovers she is priestess. She has to gather the 7 warriors of Suzaku, so she can summon Suzaku and get three wishes.
  • Shakugan no Shana - Yuji's normal life is over once he finds out he's no longer a living human and is saved by Shana the Flame Haze. Shana protects Yuji and they work together to preserve the balance of the world.
  • Descendants of Darkness - Even though the anime and manga are very different, it's about two Shinigamis, Tsuzuki Asato and Hisoka Kurosaki, who investigates and solve supernatural crimes. As they investigate, they run into Muraki, a handsome yet psychopathic and sadistic doctor.

Speaking of Shakugan no Shana, Are you comfortable on making a blog on your favorite show? I see you working hard on the franchise this past fall and summer of 2011.

@Superevil225:

That's a great idea!

Edit:

I'll do Descendants of Darkness for you in addition to Alice in the Country of Hearts.

What do I title the blogs?

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Great initiative! I've noticed how there isn't much focus on Shoujo manga around the site in comparison to Shonen. If you need any help with any wiki work regarding any Shoujo manga, just give me a shout, I'll be glad to help.

Post by konantenshi (12 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Wow, I love the idea!!

I think I will be glad if there's a blog about that

Online Now

We need to get started on this thing as soon as we can.

I have to check out manga books such as Land of the Blindfolded, Alice in The Country of Hearts, and Descendants of Darkness. I'll submit the articles next week.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel