Sentai Filmworks Licenses Another, Bodacious Space Pirates and Waiting in the Summer

Topic started by Guest_Author on March 1, 2012. Last post by sora_thekey 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff

Some of us Whiskey Media moderators have been trying our best to cover recent anime. We have been writing weekly articles about some of the Winter Season anime that is being legally streamed online (Check out our weekly article schedule). Three of those series include Another, Bodacious Space Pirates and Waiting in the Summer. If you liked any of these series, you'd be glad to know thatSentai Filmworks has acquired the license to all three of them. Read below for the Press Releases.

Excited? Be sure to continue following the Winter Watch articles pertaining the three mentioned series.

Official Press Release(s):

Another

Sentai Filmworks is ghoulishly pleased to announce the acquisition ofANOTHER, the eagerly awaited new anime series that dares to ask the question: What do you do when your classmate’s school locker is a locker in the morgue? Based on the hit novel by Yukito Ayatsuji, the 12 episode series joins the manga, written by Ayatsuji and illustrated by MELANCHOLOY OF HARUHI SUZIMIYA’sNoizi Ito, and the forthcoming live action feature film (due Summer 2012) as part of the latest hit horror franchise to erupt from Japan. Tsutomu Mizushima (BLOOD C,KOBATO, XXXHOLIC) directs from series composition by Ryo Higaki (MORIBITO-GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT) while Yuriko Ishii (Persona – Trinity Soul) adapts Ito’s original character designs for animation.

Mei Misaki was cute, athletic and one of the most popular girls in her school. Why should a little thing like death change that? Now, 23 years after Mei’s mysterious demise, a new transfer student discovers that not only is his school’s student body one corpse short of a full roster, but that some secrets never leave high school. And what’s more, all of this may somehow be tied into his own family past. What is the secret and how does it all connect? And even if Kouichi does figure it out, will that knowledge help save him? As the school bells toll a deadly dirge and students begin to die, things that were never properly buried come back to haunt the high school of the damned in ANOTHER!

ANOTHER will soon be available digitally through multiple outlets, with a home video release on DVD and Blu-Ray scheduled for later this year.

Bodacious Space Pirates

Prepare to be boarded by stellar entertainment on a galactic scale as SentaiFilmworks announces the impending escape of the rollicking, hit space opera BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES! What happens when Teen Chic meets Pirate Technique? Find out when Director Tatsuo Sato (MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO, NINJA SCROLL TV, STELLVIA) returns to the familiar waters of comedy and interplanetary adventure and deftly steers the bestselling MINI-SKIRT PIRATE novels by Yuichi Sasamoto (VENUS WARS, ARIEL) on a course to become an all new 26 episode anime masterpiece, while Noriyuki Matsumoto’s brilliant original characters designs are adapted for animation by the team of Akira Yasuda (TURN A GUNDAM) and Hiroshi Takeuchi (BIG O, XENOGLOSSIA). There’s plenty of pillage and yo-ho-ho-ing ahead in the most plunder-full adventure epic of the year, BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES!

Most families have a skeleton or two in the closet, but Marika is understandably shocked to learn that what her family has been hiding is a skull and crossbones! And while the revelation that her late father was a space pirate would have been earthshaking enough for most teenage girls, discovering that he was the captain of the notorious pirate ship Benten Maru will change Marika’s life forever. Because, you see, pirating is a family business, and she’s just inherited the position of captain. And her father’s former crew is quite intent on making sure Marika accepts the job! So what’s a girl to do? Well, if you’re a high school student whose prior total naval experience has been working at the space yacht club, there’s really only one moral dilemma that has to be resolved: are pirates allowed to wear really short mini-skirts? Get ready for intergalactic buccaneering unlike any you’ve ever seen before as the spaceways get broad-sided by cutting lasses, curvy knaves and the sexiest pirate’s chest ever in BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES!

BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES is simulcast on Crunchyroll on Saturdays at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8). Additional digital outlets and TV broadcast will follow starting in February with DVD and Blu-Ray to follow.

Waiting in the Summer

Sentai Filmworks is very proud to announce the acquisition of the eagerly awaited new anime WAITING IN THE SUMMER (ANO NATSU DE MATTERU), which is already drawing considerable buzz due to its re-pairing of several already highly successful creative partnerships. Legendary anime writer Yosuke Kuroda (Excel Saga, High School of the Dead, Puni Puni Poemy), reteams with hisPLEASE TEACHER!/PLEASE TWINS collaborator, original character designerTaraku Uon (READ OR DIE, TV and OVA,) while director Tatsuyuki Nagai(Toradora, Honey & Clover II), reunites with his TORADORA/ANO HI MITA HANAcollaborator, character designer Masayoshi Tanaka (also HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD,) to produce a unique 12 episode anime series that takes a rather different view of the classic teen romance genre.

Lights! Camera! Teen Angst! When a group of friends decide to make a movie over a long summer holiday, they end up learning a little about filmmaking and a lot more about each other and themselves. What begins as a simple way to avoid the summer doldrums quickly turns into something much more complex, intimate and revealing, as the maturing relationships between the members of the young cast take on new, and sometimes very unexpected, turns. Get ready for a whole new take on summer romance as hidden emotions get captured and secrets meant to be kept hidden inside young hearts instead spill off of the screen for your viewing pleasure in WAITING IN THE SUMMER!

Waiting in the Summer will debut on digital platforms starting this month with a subtitled DVD to follow later in the year.

About Sentai Filmworks:

Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Firefliesand Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube.

Source: Sentai Filmworks

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @Geo_sorathekey

Post by MrAristocrates (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Interesting. Hopefully it'll be done well.

EDIT: Aww yeah.

Post by metalsnakezero (665 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Sentai has been hit on a lot of license, specially on really interesting shows. One of their biggest catches was K-on! season 2 and getting the whole English cast back on it. Funimation, watchout.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

It's great to see three of the shows we decided to cover get releases, guess we picked the good ones this season.

Did you guys know lots of Japanese purchasers get American releases imported because it's so much cheaper than it is over there? I read that somewhere and found it pretty amusing. It's understandable though, anime in Japan is crazy expensive, I'm not entirely sure why.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Daniel_Newton said:

It's great to see three of the shows we decided to cover get releases, guess we picked the good ones this season.

THIS! n_n

I do find it interesting that anime is expensive in Japan. It's so common over there I would expect it to be cheaper. How much is expensive? Speaking in USD...

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@sora_thekey: The first volume of Waiting in the Summer is about 47 dollars on DVD, 55 on Blu-ray and the Limited Edition Blu-ray is 65 dollars. That's just the first two episodes.

I've seen entire box sets over here sold for less than a volume in Japan, it's nuts if you ask me.

The Blu-ray box set is... 443 dollars. I'm not kidding.

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'm glad they picked up Another but I'm really excited that they are bringing out Book of Bantorra, Kure-nai, and Zettai Karen Children. All three of those are good (Kure-nai is modern classic imo) and were on my Will someone please license this! List.

@sora_thekey: Anime in Japan is expensive but it's sold at what it takes to cover production cost. 13 episode shows usually have 6 volumes and sell for about $70 per BD volume. If they sold at US prices they'd need a market that was massively larger (like more than 500%) than the current anime buying market to still make the same amount of money. It's a niche product sold at a niche price point, but the quality is way better. EVERYTHING gets a BD release (DVD sales of anime are negligible over there) and your typical volume is on par with NISA Premium Editions and the Madoka Limited Edition.

@Daniel_Newton: Just for TWO episodes?! Whoa!

@sickVisionz: The way that you explain it makes it sound like you get your money's worth but 6 volumes for $70 USD each is a total of $420 USD. That is still a lot of money... Every time I write a Quick Picks I complain to myself for the $40-70 dlls someone would have to spend for the whole series. I am seriously shocked!

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@sora_thekey: $40 is pretty cheap for a whole series. US Anime shouldn't be $70 for two episodes like it is in Japan but it's crazy underpriced imo. I think we're willing to pay the least for anime in the developed world. Even Taiwan is willing to plunk down more than us, which is probably why they get more series, higher quality releases, and anime has a much shorter turn around time from airing in Japan to be available for purchase there.

@sickVisionz: I am never complaining about the cost of an anime box set ever again!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel