Samurai 7 to be on Toonami

Topic started by TheRealJpoe on July 31, 2012. Last post by DocHaus 1 year, 11 months ago.
Post by TheRealJpoe (9 posts) See mini bio Level 11

There has been a lot of rumors & discusion as of late about what will be the next show on Toonami. Acording to a twitter post by Jason DeMarco (VP of Strategic Marketing & Promotions for Cartoon Network & Adult Swim, also the man behind Toonomi), Samurai 7 will be premiering on the action cartoon block in the coming months. The show originally aired for 26 episodes in Japan during 2004, then later dubbed by Funimation in 2006.

With both Deadman Wonderland & Cowboy Bebop ending their runs in two weeks, we could see the show as early as the end of the month taking Deadman's premiere spot while DW occupies the 2:30/5:30 time slot. This is if Toonami plans on keeping the rerun block intact.

Update: According to the schedule on adultswim.com, Samurai 7 WILL be taking Deadman Wonderland's spot starting August 19th.

Sources:

Original Twitter Post from DeMarco: https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/230421858359574528

Full News Story: http://therealjpoe.com/2012/07/31/samurai-7-to-be-on-toonami/

Post by takashichea (10,601 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I haven't tried Samurai 7. I hope Toonami adds more shows because the momentum that Richie and Steve Blum left is getting lower.

Post by Sonata (35,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Samurai 7 is an interesting choice I dont fully remember every detail of it but it was a good show.
Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I really think they did themselves a disservice replacing DW spot instead of just letting it run again perhaps at a different spot and letting perhaps Ghost in the shell take a hit, all in all I dont think its as good as an acquisition as DW and they defenitly need more to keep it going, but anything new and decent is worth supporting even if its not as good a pull.

Post by TheRealJpoe (9 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Elfenlied1012: Jason has said that they are going to try & not re-run shows whenever possible. Reasons why GitS & Cowboy Bebop are getting another run is because they haven't seen a full run on Toonami yet & they already own the rights to air them so it's cheaper then airing DW again.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@TheRealJpoe: I still think its a bad call DW was their only exclusivity, if you wanted that dub you had to go there, Samurai 7 is on netflix, same with casshern. I understand their reasoning by I still think its a bad call. Now its even harder to justify waiting to see toonami to the average fan.

Post by Judirek (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Samurai 7 is a very good anime, hope many people will watch it.

Post by DocHaus (922 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Now if they only replaced Bleach with Panty & Stocking and put Darker Than Black in Casshern Sins timeslot when it finishes then I would be very happy. Yes it'll probably never happen but dammit I can dream.

As for Samurai 7...it's probably the best of the many, many adaptations of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai that his kids have sold the rights to. Well, unless you count The Magnificent Seven. Then it's the second-best.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel