romance animes ?

Topic started by BronsonFiori on June 17, 2012. Last post by YukaTA 2 years ago.
Post by BronsonFiori (17 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Recently I just finished Suzuka, Clannad, and Rumbling Heart all are romantic some what comedic animes. I have been looking for more like these preferably in an English dub because I have them on in the background while I do things. So any recommendations?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

adding it to the list any others ?

Post by Dream (7,107 posts) See mini bio Level 20
His and Her Circumstances
Paradise Kiss
Nana
Honey and Clover
Ayashi no Ceres
5 Centimeters per Second
Saikano
Video Girl Ai
Koi Kaze (a big warning that this one won't be for everyone thanks to its exploration on incest. However if you don't mind the subject material, the series offers the best quality writing you can find in believably exploring the taboo instead of its regular use as sleaze or melodrama to pander to the audience as seen in ecchi, hentai or romantic melodramas)
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Tutu
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I love romantic comedy anime and it's my favorite genre. Dream has suggested a lot of good romance series but I'm going to add a few more with an emphasis on comedy.

There is one thing I would like to mention. His and Her Circumstance is one of the best romance animes I've seen, but it has no ending. It's almost as if you were reading a 100 page story and everything after page 68 was blank. From what I understand, the reason for this is a conflict between the manga author and the anime studio director. He chose to highlight the comedic elements of the series and, from her viewpoint, that underplayed the romance. The director left the series late and the remaining shows do take on a more melancholy tone. When the 26 episodes were done, she refused to commit to any further episodes and so it just stops with a lot of unresolved plot points and story elements in play. Still, I found the show to be well worth the experience even if it left me completely dissatisfied at the end. One bright note is that the manga is available complete in English for reading.

My suggestions for romantic comedies (with English dubs) are:

1. School Rumble - ah, after all I said about H&HC, I need to mention that this series ran into trouble in its 3rd season. Following two hilarious 26 episode seasons, a third was planned and partially completed but never fully finished. To appease fans, the studio released only the final two episodes of season 3 as an OVA to give the franchise a proper ending. This is my absolute favorite anime, so I keep hoping that the studio will return to it and give it a full 26 episode 3rd season some day.
  2. Maison Ikkoku - This is my favorite romantic comedy due to the problems I outlined concerning H&HC. It's a 96 episode long love story spanning 5 years in the characters lives. made back in 1986. It can get a bit frustrating later in the show as it one-step-forward-two-steps-back a bit too often, but only one other show has left me feeling more satisfied as the final credits rolled. You can watch it on YouTube with English audio.
  3. My Bride is a Mermaid - very funny anime with a satisfying ending
  4. Baka to Test Summon the Beasts - two seasons are out, a lot of fun although more of a straight comedy with romance than a true romantic comedy
  5. Love Hina - a classic but I'm not sure how well it holds up after all these years. I confess it's been a while since I've see it.
  6. Midori Days - this one just has an odd premise. It's not the best in how it tells its story and it too easily falls into well worn scenarios, but I liked it for what it was. I wouldn't rush to see it but it is available with English audio.
  7. Yamada's First Time - I really liked the intermix of miscommunication-comedy with first love naivete in this show, but others have been turned off by its sex comedy premise. There is (to the best of my memory) no nudity in it, if that's a concern of yours. There might be some semi-nudity however (bare buttocks or conveniently covered breasts). I honestly can't recall. This one is going to be a judgment call on your own.
  8. Ranma 1/2 - another older one. This show is one part straight comedy, one part action and one part romantic-comedy, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. There are a lot of episodes and a few OVAs, too. There's no arc per se and thus no real conclusion to any of it. Most stories are single-episode tales, but if you're looking for something to have on in the background while you do other things, this one is pretty good. The English dub is very good, too although I wish they'd have left out some of the more obvious localization changes.

The first Negima is worth taking a look at even though the ending is a considerable disappointment. The second Negima is better but exchanges romance for action.

There are a lot more really great romantic comedies I could suggest (Toradora, Nodame Cantabile, Kimi ni Todoke, etc...) but they're only available in Japanese with English subtitles.

Post by sickVisionz (4,223 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Dream said:

Nana
Honey and Clover

I stalled out on Honey and Clover, but it was pretty good. I'd definitely second Nana. It's pretty great in way possible. I'd also recommend Hatsukoi Limited. It's got a bit more service than your typical romance, but there's a lot to love about it once you get past that.

@PenguinDust said:

I love romantic comedy anime and it's my favorite genre. Dream has suggested a lot of good romance series but I'm going to add a few more with an emphasis on comedy.

There is one thing I would like to mention. His and Her Circumstance is one of the best romance animes I've seen, but it has no ending. It's almost as if you were reading a 100 page story and everything after page 68 was blank. From what I understand, the reason for this is a conflict between the manga author and the anime studio director. He chose to highlight the comedic elements of the series and, from her viewpoint, that underplayed the romance. The director left the series late and the remaining shows do take on a more melancholy tone. When the 26 episodes were done, she refused to commit to any further episodes and so it just stops with a lot of unresolved plot points and story elements in play. Still, I found the show to be well worth the experience even if it left me completely dissatisfied at the end. One bright note is that the manga is available complete in English for reading.

1. School Rumble - ah, after all I said about H&HC, I need to mention that this series ran into trouble in its 3rd season. Following two hilarious 26 episode seasons, a third was planned and partially completed but never fully finished. To appease fans, the studio released only the final two episodes of season 3 as an OVA to give the franchise a proper ending. This is my absolute favorite anime, so I keep hoping that the studio will return to it and give it a full 26 episode 3rd season some day.
  2. Maison Ikkoku - This is my favorite romantic comedy due to the problems I outlined concerning H&HC. It's a 96 episode long love story spanning 5 years in the characters lives. made back in 1986. It can get a bit frustrating later in the show as it one-step-forward-two-steps-back a bit too often, but only one other show has left me feeling more satisfied as the final credits rolled. You can watch it on YouTube with English audio.
  4. Baka to Test Summon the Beasts - two seasons are out, a lot of fun although more of a straight comedy with romance than a true romantic comedy
  5. Love Hina - a classic but I'm not sure how well it holds up after all these years. I confess it's been a while since I've see it.
  6. Midori Days - this one just has an odd premise. It's not the best in how it tells its story and it too easily falls into well worn scenarios, but I liked it for what it was. I wouldn't rush to see it but it is available with English audio.
  7. Yamada's First Time - I really liked the intermix of miscommunication-comedy with first love naivete in this show, but others have been turned off by its sex comedy premise. There is (to the best of my memory) no nudity in it, if that's a concern of yours. There might be some semi-nudity however (bare buttocks or conveniently covered breasts). I honestly can't recall. This one is going to be a judgment call on your own.
  8. Ranma 1/2 - another older one. This show is one part straight comedy, one part action and one part romantic-comedy, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. There are a lot of episodes and a few OVAs, too. There's no arc per se and thus no real conclusion to any of it. Most stories are single-episode tales, but if you're looking for something to have on in the background while you do other things, this one is pretty good. The English dub is very good, too although I wish they'd have left out some of the more obvious localization changes.

The first Negima is worth taking a look at even though the ending is a considerable disappointment. The second Negima is better but exchanges romance for action.

There are a lot more really great romantic comedies I could suggest (Toradora, Nodame Cantabile, Kimi ni Todoke, etc...) but they're only available in Japanese with English subtitles.

i really enjoyed school rumble already and baka and test. but damn gonna give all of these a try

@Dream said:

His and Her Circumstances
Paradise Kiss
Nana
Honey and Clover
Ayashi no Ceres
5 Centimeters per Second
Saikano
Video Girl Ai
Koi Kaze (a big warning that this one won't be for everyone thanks to its exploration on incest. However if you don't mind the subject material, the series offers the best quality writing you can find in believably exploring the taboo instead of its regular use as sleaze or melodrama to pander to the audience as seen in ecchi, hentai or romantic melodramas)
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Tutu

well I got quite a list to dig through and hopefully I end up liking them as much as Suzuka and Clannad

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,803 posts) See mini bio Level 15

such a bummer a lot of these dont have english dubs owell it makes sure i pay attention 100%

Post by takashichea (10,650 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Non Romantic Anime Series that has a strong or suggestive romantic element:

• Fate Stay Night - It's about Shirou Emiya who finds himself fighting in the Holy Grail war where Mages and their servants do battle. It's a brutal war due people getting killed. Shirou's servant is the female incarnation of King Arthur, Saber, a beautiful warrior who fights in name of honor. The two work together to get the Holy Grail, and their bond becomes deeper.
  • Gosick - It's anime series that revolves around Victorique and Kujo who solve mystery cases, and their relationship begins blossoming as the two work together.
  • Rave Master - It's a shonen anime that centers around Haru Glory who embarks on a quest to find the Rave and defeat Demon Card. Along the way, he finds allies and the truth behind Demon Card. He bumps into Elie who has lost her memories, and he promises her to get back her memories. The journey between them becomes more involved.

As for English dub, it doesn't matter to me as long as the English version does not censor the original anime series. It's more preferred to watch Rave Master in the Japanese version because the English version is heavily edited with some unneeded dialogue. For Fate Stay Night, I haven't watch it dub, so I don't know whether it has censorship.

@takashichea said:

Non Romantic Anime Series that has a strong or suggestive romantic element:

• Rave Master - It's a shonen anime that centers around Haru Glory who embarks on a quest to find the Rave and defeat Demon Card. Along the way, he finds allies and the truth behind Demon Card. He bumps into Elie who has lost her memories, and he promises her to get back her memories. The journey between them becomes more involved.

As for English dub, it doesn't matter to me as long as the English version does not censor the original anime series. It's more preferred to watch Rave Master in the Japanese version because the English version is heavily edited with some unneeded dialogue.

I remember watching Rave Master on the Sci-Fi Channel (back when it was spelled that way). I thought the voice acting was okay, but I can't recall what was or wasn't censored. Back then, unnecessary localization was popular with some American distributors I guess. Later, I saw the series in its entirety but this time with Japanese audio and English subs. Sadly, this too is another series that ends suddenly and prematurely. They're sent on a quest to find a list of items and they recover two or three only and then the show's over. The story continues in the manga from what I understand, but that doesn't help the anime any. Oh well, we've got Fairy Tail these days to replace "Groove Adventure Rave".

Gosick was a good suggestion. There's no English dub since Bandai pulled out of North American markets, but I've heard Funimation is pursuing the show for licensing, so maybe someday. I watched subbed and it was surprisingly good.

Post by takashichea (10,650 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@PenguinDust:

Here are some links to the images that I uploaded on the Rave Master wiki project. I'm a wiki editor to uncover the truth since I can't spoil BronsonFiori. One Truth Prevails!

• Deleted Scenes: Ep. 49 [1, 2, 3, 4], Ep. 35, Ep. 45, Ep. 1,
  • Added Scenes: Ep. 49 [1, 2, 3,]

Edit: There is more, but this is all I could remember.

I haven't finished Gosick yet. I'm in episode 12 or so. Little Victorique is such a tsundere character who eventually open up. I hope Funimation does dub it.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,480 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I liked Rave Master but then there was just too many repeated scenes from past episodes and I couldn't watch it anymore. Same with the Reborn anime, too many repeated scenes.

Post by junztagalog (3 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@BronsonFiori said:

@PenguinDust said:

i really enjoyed school rumble already and baka and test. but damn gonna give all of these a try

@takashichea: Ha-ha, sex and violence gets the axe.

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,803 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@BronsonFiori: Kaze no Sigma has a english dub.

@SpeedForceSpider said:

@BronsonFiori: Kaze no Sigma has a english dub.

and this jsut got bumped up on the list

Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

No mentions of Maid-Sama or Ah! My Goddess or Toradora? Those are wonderful romantic comedies. My favorites.

Post by sickVisionz (4,223 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Kids on the Slope is a really good one.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel