Reviewers Guild

Topic started by SamFury on June 11, 2011. Last post by takashichea 3 years, 6 months ago.
Post by SamFury (122 posts) See mini bio Level 16
There are some very active user reviewers on this site, and I was thinking we could start a Reviewer's Guild, where we give one another feedback and constructive criticism on our work. Writing reviews is tough work because you have to summarize, explain and give insight all in one succinct piece. If anyone is interested please post here with your thoughts in terms of structure and what types of things the Guild could do?
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Count me in. I haven't written many reviews cause it takes a hell of a time but I'm all up for improving myself and my reviews.
Notice that there aren't many comments on even the most recommended reviews because...well, we are a small community.
Also tell your other review friends to take a look at this!
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I like this idea, another thing that could tie some of the community together. I would love to write reviews but they take much time and effort, and I just haven't really got around to making any. I will certainly pass it along to some hard-core reviewers on the Vice, great idea SamFury !
Hey just bumping this so people could take a look at this.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I don't do a lot of reviews, but I think it sounds cool.
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21
How exactly would this all work? Just after a review is posted, the others comment on its strengths and such?
Yeah basically, also we would take community polls and requests on what reviews to do as well as have our own roundtables. 
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@SamFury That makes sense and sounds good. However, I am not one to take on requests for reviews. They should come naturally for any series that hasn't had a proper review on it yet. That and it's easier and less time consuming to review something you already know as opposed to being asked to review something that is completely alien to you. 
Again  I think Requests could be made and we could create a request board where our Guild Reviewers can pick and choose. If multiple people pick an anime then we can do a roundtable on it. 
@SamFury said:
Again  I think Requests could be made and we could create a request board where our Guild Reviewers can pick and choose. If multiple people pick an anime then we can do a roundtable on it. 
Yes, but we sort of already have that here. Tom writes and makes videos for various reviews in the anime world, he calls them "Watch & Learn" I'm sure you have seen them.
@Fire_Star But that's only one person, why not get a community effort behind it?
@SamFury said:
@Fire_Star But that's only one person, why not get a community effort behind it?
I guess I can see your point, but a lot of what people want reviewed Tom does, what would that leave you with ?
@fire_star : We have to try and work together as reviewers and it was just an idea. I know review culture here in not that strong but it is at other places and if we had one another to help each other out, maybe more people in the community will open up their voice. And thanks for helping out with this :)
@SamFury: I can certainly see where your coming from, I would highly encourage you to pursue this, I was just asking about certain things that could weaken the activity of the Guild itself, nothing else. 
Post by takashichea (14,317 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I'll join to get some experience on writing reviews. It's almost time that I finished one of the projects (anime portion), Rave Master or Shaman King. A review would good way to end a big wiki project. Maybe a guide will also be another bonus.

@takashichea said:

I'll join to get some experience on writing reviews. It's almost time that I finished one of the projects (anime portion), Rave Master or Shaman King. A review would good way to end a big wiki project. Maybe a guide will also be another bonus.

That does sound like a good idea. 
Post by takashichea (14,317 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@fire_star:

I'm glad. Which one do you want to do, review or guide?

@takashichea said:

Yeah that does sound great. Once we have a good number of people, I'll set up a thread where we can recruit post projects and ideas more formally. Thanks to everyone showing interest in joining and helping out. I was going into this thinking it wasn't going to gain traction! x3
@takashichea: I'll have to think about it, probably a review though. Not really sure. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel