Reccomendations for my Father?

Topic started by Koshka on Oct. 6, 2011. Last post by Little_Socrates 3 years ago.
Post by Koshka (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Hey all, I've not posted anything here at all as I'm not the biggest anime fan (aside from some photography and cosplay), but my father has been watching a whole lot of anime on netflix streaming lately and I needed some reccomendations.

Basically he's just been watching a whole lot of very melodramatic anime that I have no taste for whatsoever and I wanted some reccomendations as to what I might be able to watch with him. I am an average Miyazaki fan and he actually introduced me to Miyazaki when I was a little kid and actually saw Princess Mononoke in theaters with my brother who's a bit older than me. I also have a taste for action and I'm an old fan of Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Evangellion, Yuyuhakasho (sp?), Seven Samurai (I forget what the anime series was called), Wolf's Reign (not so much) and FLCL. I know that those are relatively standard so please, no flaming.

Taking those in consideration, is there any anime you guys would reccomend on netflix streaming for me and my dad? He's up for anything (I've seen him watch some weiiiiirrrdddd stuff).

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Post by Koshka (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Oh jeeze I totally forgot about speedgrapher! I'm going to try that out with him. Honestly not a fan of Elfen Lied or FMA though, but I'll check the others out, thanks!

Post by TheRedRose (1,645 posts) See mini bio Level 10
He can check on a series called Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, it's rather short due to the creator not continuing the anime however the manga is readable and legit. The action is very good and the characters are a bit over powered!
Post by DocHaus (935 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Koshka: Darker Than Black if you have the time, Millennium Actress if you want just one movie.

Post by arch4non (21 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Your father might like Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's quite old and the animation certainly looks dated, but it more than makes up for it with its story. It takes place in the 35th century and covers a very long period of time. It's about the battle between the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance. Neither side is good or evil; it's a story about people, the decisions they make, and how those decisions ripple across the galaxy. It's 110 episodes long and took me a little over four weeks to complete.

Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Koshka: Let him try seven anime movies that compose the story of Kara no Kyoukai, An original story, good argument, good plot, good music, good artwork, and very profoun character, the story has action, but is more centered on the characters.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Koshka: What are some examples of the stuff your Dad likes? You talked a lot about what you like but practically nothing about what he likes. It's very hard to make a non random suggestion with that information.

If you just want to watch series you like with him, well just watch something you like with him. If you want something that you think will fit his tastes and yours, I'd need more info about what his tastes are.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Hmm, well not having much to go on, I'd suggest the following since they're not too "out there" or offensive. All are on Netflix streaming according to instantwatcher.com.

1. 009-1 ~ it's a 60's styled spy vs spy series with an old school inspired look to it.
  2. xxxHolic ~ It's about how the "spirit world" intertwines with the real world as experienced by a high school boy who can see ghosts and his cryptic paranormal employer.
  3. Last Exile ~ Steampunk adventure about two air couriers who find themselves guarding a special "package" as a war erupts.
  4. Samurai 7 ~ Steampunk-ish retelling of Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai. It's different, though and it has a lot of action but's still pretty serious.

That's all I can suggest without knowing your dad's tastes.

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I'd say things like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Claymore, and Angel Beats! would all be great starts.

Post by Little_Socrates (45 posts) See mini bio Level 10

"Melodramatic that I have no taste for" is hard to gauge. Echoing the chorus recommending Angel Beats! He also might enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I know you will.

Give us the goods on what he's been watching! :D

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel