Quick Picks (Week of 6/18/2012): The Grand Return

Topic started by Bigheart711 on June 23, 2012. Last post by Petiew 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,990 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Looks like it's time to bring the ol' Quick Picks segments back after the hiatus left by sora_thekey. Me and Takashichea will be taking his place, but I'll mainly post the articles. I also want to replace the current QP banner with a new one as soon as I get myself situated for next week.

Quick Rundown

For this week, we did have a conversation about some of the upcoming titles, but it turns out that both of us was too ahead of our times with the releases for both Sailor Moon (Manga) vol. 6's re-release (Early July) and the third graphic novel for Avatar: The Last Airbender's story. K-On's 2 Season has been released on Blu-Ray and DVD for North America and StaciWi of Screened seems to have taken some interest in the show altogether. Also, the fact that I haven't noticed the re-releases of the Tenjou Tenge manga until recently still haunts me. @__@ A bit more on what Taka thought before moving on...

Takashichea's Thoughts

Due to PenguinDust's blog on Moe Art Styles, I will try out K-On! to see the hype behind it. As for the other two, I don't think I like them since I'm not into gore or fan service. Lolopop Chainsaw reminds me of High School of the Dead, and Tenjo Tenge reminds me of Battle Vixens. (Note:The game also had some interest in multiple anime community sites, including ANN.) I'm also interested in the Blu Ray version for Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works that came out on June 12. I haven't watch it yet, and I'm a fan of Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero anime series. It's too bad that Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 3 is coming out in October. I just bought Part 1 and 2 of the series this week.

Aw, don't feel bad, Taka. Seeing this article should cheer you up. :)

This Week's Releases

Sources are from Yen Press, Viz.com, Amazon.com, Gamestop.com and Rightstuf.com. Also, please forgive me for the setup of this page because the editor keeps glitching by the third table whenever I add anymore to it.

Anime Series

Name (Format)SRP (BR/DVD)*CompanyAmazon.com Price (BR/DVD)RightStuf.com Price (BR/DVD)Release Date
Dragonaut: The Resonance - Complete Series (DVD)$29.98FUNimation$18.83$22.496/19/2012
Golgo 13 DVD Collection 4$59.98Sentai Filmworks$49.99$44.996/19/2012
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Vol. 5 (Blu-Ray [Import])$59.98Honneamisse$128.00$47.996/19/2012
K-On! Season 2 (Blu-Ray/DVD)BR: $69.98
DVD: $59/98
Sentai FilmworksBR: $59.48
DVD: $44.99
BR: $52.49
DVD: $44.99
6/19/2012

Videogames of Interest

NamePublisher(s)Companie(s)SystemsAmazon.comGamestop.comRelease Date
Lolipop ChainsawWB Games, Kadokawa GamesGrasshopper ManufacturePS3, XBOX 360PS3: $59.01
X360: $56.06
PS3: $59.99
X360: $59.99
6/12/2012

Light Novels

Name (Cover)PublisherSRP (PB/HRD)*Amazon.com (PB/HRD)RightStuf.com (PB/HRD)Release Date
The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Novel 7)Yen PressPB: $8.99
HRD: $15.99
N/APB: $6.74
HRD: $11.99
6/19/2012
Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots (Novel)VIZ Media$15.99$10.66$11.996/19/2012

Manga Volumes

Name & VolumePublisherSRPAmazon.comRightStuf.comRelease Date
Attack on Titan Vol. 1Kodansha USA$10.99$6.06$8.246/19/2012
Bokurano: Ours Vol. 6VIZ Media$12.99$10.39$9.746/19/2012
Drops of God Vol. 4Vertical$14.95$9.85$11.216/19/2012
House of Five Leaves Vol. 7VIZ Media$12.99$10.17$9.746/19/2012
Jormungand Vol. 9VIZ Media$12.99$10.28$9.746/19/2012
Mardock Scramble Vol. 5Kodansha USA$10.99$8.61$8.246/19/2012
Tenjou Tenge Vol. 7VIZ Media$12.99$11.85$9.746/19/2012

* Blu-Ray/DVD prices, Paperback/Hardcover prices

If any of you don't mind, my Twitter Name is @MasterMenos while Takashichea's is also @Takashichea on Twitter. Follow us and also note if one of us goofed something up. ;p

Post by takashichea (12,692 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Great job partner!

The table always glitches on me. Daniel tells me to try Google Chrome. I haven't try blogging in Google Chrome. Let's see I probably get The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya for my little sister (as a wish list).

I'm also excited about Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? volume 2 in July. We'll cover that and other favorite manga series you guys and gals have in the next Quick Picks for July 2012! Since it's not in my public library and I'm a guy who rarely buys manga, I would buy this one.

Edit:

It's by Yen Press.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Jormungand. Win.

@takashichea said:

Great job partner!

The table always glitches on me. Daniel tells me to try Google Chrome. I haven't try blogging in Google Chrome. Let's see I probably get The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya for my little sister (as a wish list).

The table even glitched for me in Chrome after the third one, unfortunately. Something's not right...

@sotyfan16: I didn't even notice Jormungand obtaining an Anime Version until now. Can't wait to see it. :)

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Bigheart711: From what I've read of the manga so far, the anime is faithful. It's been licensed by FUNi.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Bokurano is really good. Manga is much darker than the anime,but if you can handle that you should give it a look! 
I liked UBW, though its fairly short for a movie covering an entire route in the VN.
Good work on the article.

@sotyfan16:

I need to start watching Jormungand.

@Petiew:

I haven't tried the visual novel game, but I found out that it had naughty scenes from fans when I researched its Implied Sex Scene stuff. I didn't know it had different routes and that the movie covered that. Thanks for the info. How many routes did it had?

Fate Stay Night is the Fate route for Shirou and Saber.

Unlimited Blade Works is Shirou and Rin Tohsaka. It's going be interesting how Shirou and Rin interact.

Are there routes for Sakura and Illyaviel?

@Bigheart711:

I see. I wonder how Sora got around it.

@takashichea: No clue. Sora hasn't been active in months now. :(

@takashichea: There're 3 routes in the game. Fate and UBW like you said before, the last one is called Heaven's Feel which is Sakura's route.
Ilya doesn't have a route, though I heard it was originally planned but got scrapped part way through.

I'll just watch this for 10-15 hours on repeat to make up for that.

@Petiew:

Thanks for the info. I guess that they scapped because Illyaviel is too young.

Did you play the visual novel for Fate Zero? I'm working on Fate Zero episode wiki pages, and I have done my research with a special side project: Implied Sex Scene. Interestingly, both UBW movie and Fate Stay Night has those scenes because both routes had those eroge scenes. I'm wondering if Fate Zero visual novel has those scenes. I can't find anything suspicious in episodes 1-19.

The video is a bit cute, but it was too much cuteness. I can't believe little Illyasviel became a such a bad girl later on.

I need your sharp eyes since we're both watching Fate Zero.

Post by sickVisionz (4,297 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@takashichea: Good luck on that. Outside of Bleach and Naruto, I'm really bad at remembering any information about anime other than stuff I thought was cool. On a sidenote, It's crazy to me that the sex-free and pretty much romance-free Fate/Zero is based off of an eroge visual novel.

Post by AURON570 (572 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@takashichea: You should definitely start with season 1 of K-ON. In my opinion, Season 2 started going downhill about half-way through, doing more of the same stuff, but the first season was great.

@AURON570:

Will do. I really need to get out of my comfort zone of anime genre I normally watch.

@takashichea: Fate Zero is based on a light novel, rather than a visual novel/eroge which Fate stay night is. It's written by Gen Urobuchi, who wrote the script for Madoka!
I haven't actually read through it but I'm pretty sure there are no explicit sex scenes, though it is referenced. (Ilya is born at the start, Lancer's backstory, etc, and I've heard in the novel Maya's relationship with Kiritsugu is expanded on a bit more)  

Fans often joke about Kirei and Gilgamesh, the anime team kind of ran with the joke.

Yeah the implied sex scenes were quite funny, after finding out it was based on an eroge and watching the anime it was obvious seeing where those scenes would take place in the VN. That's a pretty interesting concept page.

Edit: Ilya is apparently 18, 8 when the 4th war starts and the 5th is 10 years later, though because she's a homonculus she appears to age slower. Since she's older than Rin I guess it wasn't because of her age, I suppose the VN was just long enough already.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel